diy swimming decoy

Share tips and ask questions on all types of duck decoys. Including working, classics, collectable, and carving decoys.

Moderators: HENDU3270, DUKHTR, fowlhunter, Remman

diy swimming decoy

Postby success » Sat Dec 11, 2010 2:03 pm

i made one similar to a higdon swimming duck. it works great in the tub but i am worried the power cord will get tangled in the field by going in circles. does any one have suggestions to prevent this?
success
hunter

Re: diy swimming decoy

Postby Bigroo » Sun Dec 12, 2010 7:22 pm

:bow: Sorry ,I misunderstood your question.
Last edited by Bigroo on Mon Dec 13, 2010 6:08 am, edited 2 times in total.
Bigroo
hunter

Postby success » Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:17 pm

Or does anyone know how the float that hidgon uses with their swimmer decoy helps prevent the cord from twisting?
Thanks
success
hunter

Postby Pothole » Mon Dec 13, 2010 6:54 pm

i dont know what kind of cord you are using but hook a large barrel swivel to your weight and then the cord to the swivel, thats how i would do it.
Pothole
hunter

Postby success » Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:39 pm

The power cord is attached to the bilge pump under the decoy. The power cord goes to a water tight box with a 12 volt battery in it. When it swims, it tends to get twisted up. The set up looks like this:

http://www.higdondecoys.com/proddetail.asp?prod=52036

Any ideas how to help prevent twisting? The company uses a float of sone type.
success
hunter

Postby super90 » Wed Dec 15, 2010 8:36 pm

Yep, there is a normal egg-shaped, styrofoam rope float that has the hole through the middle. Adjust the length of the power cord by wrapping it through the hole in the middle several times and the float should be about halfway up from the battery box to the surface of the water. You should only have about 2' or so of power cord from the float to your swimmer. Otherwise it gets tangled in a big knot.

I will tell you I called the company once for clarification on all this as the instruction are vague. They admitted the system isn't perfect, but they have not figured out a better one yet. The deke doesn't really swim around so much as it dabbles in a small circle. I does add motion, though.

As for a swimmer that goes in a bigger circle, I am liking this better: http://therealdecoy.com/about-our-decoys.php

I own both and use both, but I would probably order another Real Decoy swimmer for $55.
super90
hunter

Postby Bigeaux20 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:25 am

For what it's worth I have built wuite a few swimmers, and here is what I think works and produces the best result. Get a magnum decoy and mount your pump on the bottom. Cut open the top of the decoy such that you can put a 6 volt (mojo battery) actually in the decoy. I like to put the battery in a ziploc, and then get some spray foam and fill the decoy half full of foam. This stuff expands and will probably come out the top of the decoy. You will want to run all your wires from the pump up to a toggle switch you put on the decoys tail before you spray the foam. You also want the batter to sit low in the decoy for stability. By having all your power stuff in the decoy it makes it sit a little lower in the water, and to me, makes it put out a better wake.
Disappointment is almost always defined by ones expectations...
Bigeaux20
hunter

Postby super90 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 5:20 pm

Bigeaux20 wrote:For what it's worth I have built wuite a few swimmers, and here is what I think works and produces the best result. Get a magnum decoy and mount your pump on the bottom. Cut open the top of the decoy such that you can put a 6 volt (mojo battery) actually in the decoy. I like to put the battery in a ziploc, and then get some spray foam and fill the decoy half full of foam. This stuff expands and will probably come out the top of the decoy. You will want to run all your wires from the pump up to a toggle switch you put on the decoys tail before you spray the foam. You also want the batter to sit low in the decoy for stability. By having all your power stuff in the decoy it makes it sit a little lower in the water, and to me, makes it put out a better wake.

I like this idea. I think that would really prevent the issues I described. Do you have a timer on it to make it swim a while and then rest a bit? That would be a great setup.

Any chance you could post pictures?
super90
hunter

Postby Bigeaux20 » Fri Dec 17, 2010 9:31 am

I don't use a timer as it will generally run long enough for at least two hunts before it needs recharging. Let me see if I can get you some pictures. With this set-up all you need is a swivel on your weight line, and you are done.

I run a short piece of flexible hose to a piece of 1/2 cpvc that goes out the back of the decoy, and I put a 45degree fitting on the end that is turned toward the surface and a little off center to make the decoy swim in erradic circles and to me it looks very natural.

I'll see if I can get a few pictures for you. It's really really easy to do.
Bigeaux20
hunter

Postby Bigeaux20 » Fri Dec 17, 2010 10:19 am

Here is a little video of the decoy in action. It's tough to tell how much water it's stirring because as you can see, we had a pretty good bit of wind this day. But, on those calm mornings, it stirs a good bit of water.

Bigeaux20
hunter

Postby super90 » Fri Dec 24, 2010 7:50 pm

Bigeaux20 wrote:For what it's worth I have built wuite a few swimmers, and here is what I think works and produces the best result. Get a magnum decoy and mount your pump on the bottom. Cut open the top of the decoy such that you can put a 6 volt (mojo battery) actually in the decoy. I like to put the battery in a ziploc, and then get some spray foam and fill the decoy half full of foam. This stuff expands and will probably come out the top of the decoy. You will want to run all your wires from the pump up to a toggle switch you put on the decoys tail before you spray the foam. You also want the batter to sit low in the decoy for stability. By having all your power stuff in the decoy it makes it sit a little lower in the water, and to me, makes it put out a better wake.

One other question, does the bilge pump run on 6v or on 12v? For some reason I thought they were 12v....so I didn't consider this setup. I really like your idea. Which bilge pump are you using?
super90
hunter

Postby Lansden » Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:05 pm

You should cut the back out and strap 6v battery on inside. Bolt and seal pump on bottom.
Lansden
Newb

Postby rabbitdundied » Sun Dec 01, 2013 8:33 pm

I built one but decided a swimmer moves less water than a pulsator so I put a 90 degree pipe on mine they throw water 1.5 feet in the air and put a very natural ripple on the water.
rabbitdundied
hunter

Return to Duck Decoy Forum