do field duck deks help bring in the geese

Share tips and ask questions on all types of duck decoys. Including working, classics, collectable, and carving decoys.

Moderators: HENDU3270, Remman, DUKHTR, fowlhunter

do field duck deks help bring in the geese

Postby yellowlab » Mon Oct 18, 2004 7:42 pm

do you guys thing haveing a doz or 2 duck deks out with a goose spread in a feild help bring in the geese ... if so what would you recomend for the feild???
yellowlab
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Admin2 » Tue Oct 19, 2004 8:08 pm

Not saying it will not help... but generally it is the other way around in that you set geese too with the ducks so the ducks come in better. I suggest trying it to see if it helps at all--set the ducks upwind of the geese-at 15 yds between them.

The Deputy riding shotgun
Admin2
hunter

Location: lurking around the corner keeping an eye out for trouble makers

Postby NESoDak » Fri Oct 22, 2004 11:43 am

Got to agree with the boss-man here. I don't think geese are gregarious enough to want to spend time with ducks just because they are there. Ducks on the other hand like to have geese around, geese are just more wary than most ducks. Agreeing again, seperate the two species. Ducks will, as a rule of thumb, eat ahead of geese as they move into the wind. Also remember that ducks will over fly geese in order to land with other ducks, geese definately will not.
"If you don't think too good ... Don't think too much." Ted Williams
NESoDak
hunter

Postby macdaddy » Fri Oct 22, 2004 12:20 pm

Admin & NESoDaK are right. Not only will ducks be attracted by geese; I've seen hooded mergansers come into goose dekes. But the geese will not mingle w/ the ducks. I placed the geese 10-15 yds. away from the ducks last year @ Moraine - best gunning in years.
I'm the guy your Mother Goose warned you about.
macdaddy
hunter

Return to Duck Decoy Forum