Decoy Spread coots + widgeons

Share tips and ask questions on all types of duck decoys. Including working, classics, collectable, and carving decoys.

Moderators: HENDU3270, Remman, DUKHTR, fowlhunter

Decoy Spread coots + widgeons

Postby HUMBOLDT HUNTER » Tue Oct 19, 2004 10:48 pm

I was wondering if any of you guys might have pictures or descriptions that show different decoy spreads, setups and advice. any and all replys would be appreciated. I know this might sound funny to some of you but I am getting a dozen coot decoys because widgeon like to feed with coots because they both like to feed on the same thing, anyways you mix like a 1/2 dozen with a dozen coots and widgeon will commit more to that setup because to them it is more conving to them to see some coot mixed in with their own then seeing just a whole bunch of mallards all over the place. Have any of you guys tried this or have any setups like this??
HUMBOLDT HUNTER
hunter

Postby donell67 » Tue Oct 19, 2004 11:20 pm

yeah widgeons love coots.you would probly need alot more coots to be affective.i would try 3 or 4 dozen coots and a dozen widgeon. we have mass amounts of coots and widgeon here too.widgeon steel the food from the coots.
donell67
Forum & State Moderator

Postby h2ofwlr » Thu Oct 21, 2004 12:27 am

Coots are great confidence decoys. Divers love them too.

I remember a guy in LA that used 2 pintails and 100 coots, he always got his pintails while everybody else was getting jack as the ducks were really decoy and call shy.

I mix it up too, Mallard, Pintails, Blacks, BWTeal, Woodies and coots for the puddlers. All are SMags except for the woodies and coots which are Mags. The BWTeal are reg sized hen pintails repainted to BWTeal :thumbsup:
The Audacity of Bull Crap.
"Typical: Gun-loving, bitter bible-thumping white person" Barack Obama.
Hey I resemble that comment!!! Those are FIGHTING WORDS!!!
h2ofwlr
Forum & State Moderator

Postby DuckKillinD » Sun Oct 24, 2004 5:23 am

when out hunting divers i run my line of divers out about 6-8 dozen in a straight line with about 4 dzn coots all sittin close right in front of my.them divers comr rippin down the line see all the coots and they fell safe enough 2 land. i also use 2 herring decoys.dont know how many herrings u have around u, but i use them even in my mallard spread. i belive these r the best confidence coys out, because herrings r so easly spooked ducks belive it. make sure u put ut herrings out away from ur spread about 35-50 yards out
DuckKillinD
hunter

Return to Duck Decoy Forum