turning floaters into full bodies

Share tips and ask questions on all types of duck decoys. Including working, classics, collectable, and carving decoys.

Moderators: HENDU3270, Remman, DUKHTR, fowlhunter

turning floaters into full bodies

Postby OldCypress » Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:31 pm

i'm looking to turn some floaters into full bodies, and i think i remember a product on the market that could make that possible. it was some sort of stake that slid over the keel...
can anyone help me out?
Remember, you're unique. Just like everyone else.
OldCypress
hunter

Re: turning floaters into full bodies

Postby FowlOffspring » Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:50 pm

i think it was made by G&H and it slides over the keel and its painted orange for the effect of feet.i guess if you want to pay for it then go ahead but id just set the decoys down in the mud.
FowlOffspring
hunter

Postby gkerrigan » Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:30 pm

Tanglefree Duck Feet
www.gotduckfeet.com
Never tried them, but they look like they might do the trick.
gkerrigan
hunter

Postby OldCypress » Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:34 pm

gk - that's what i was looking for. thanks! :hi:

fowl - i thought about that, but i'd think they'd stand out a little more with a stand of some sort. but then again, i'm probably wrong.
OldCypress
hunter

Postby jon mcgrath » Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:05 pm

That is a pretty slick idea. You could just set your mallards on the ground and they would do the same thing but that extension is a good thing for visability.
jon mcgrath
hunter

Postby fishy55 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:56 pm

Ok, this is what happens when you're a Duck Hunting Chat member and you work at a hardware store with a little too much time on your hands!

First, I took a pair of GHG HotBuy Mallards and sawed off the keels with a keyhole saw (drywall saw).
Second, I found the balance point and drilled a 1/4'' hole in the decoys back.
Third, I used a utility knife and cut an oblong hole in the bottom on the decoy, so it could move in the wind.
Forth, I drilled two more holes on either side of the oblong hole just large enough to slip two #10 machine screws thru. I pushed the screws thru from the inside. They are 3'' long.
Fifth, I cut 1/4'' ID orange air line and threaded it onto the machine screws, and there you go, LEGS! A washer and a nut keep them on.

The bases are National/Stanley brand 3/16'' smooth rod that I hand bent. I used a 'press cap' to keep the decoys from sliding down the rod.

Reply if I left a step out, but they worked pretty good for us this late season. It's a good cheap way to build a field spread or a riverside spread:)
Attachments
duck5.JPG
The balance point is here, give or take an 1/8th of an inch. (You can fine tune the balance by slowly removing what's left of the keel after you saw it off)
duck4.JPG
'Press cap'
duck3.JPG
Hand made base. Use the whole 3 foot stick of smooth rod. From the ground to the top of the press cap is about 8.5-9 inches. Width of base is about 9 inches. Find a small bucket to wrap the rod around to form the bases.
duck2.JPG
Here you see the oblong hole and the legs.
duck1.JPG
Finished product. The hen was my first, she isn't balanced well, but good enough.
Last edited by fishy55 on Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
fishy55
hunter

Postby OldCypress » Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:43 pm

fishy those look great! how long did it take you to make, and how many?
OldCypress
hunter

Postby fishy55 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:52 pm

In total, it took about 10 minutes per decoy. I only made this pair. My buddies are floored that it's so easy and cheap, we plan to make at least a dozen out of our HotBuys.

One more thing, I sprayed the 'motion bases' with aerosol automotive undercoating I had laying around. It wont chip off like spray paint will.

I hope this helps a lot of people. They're not true full bodies, but they're close. My best friend dubbed them 'Half Bodies', we'll stick with that!! haha.

Total costs: HotBuys, $25-40 a dozen.
3/16'' smooth rod, $1.49 per 3' stick. One stick per motion base.
Press caps, $.40 each.
1/4'' Orange air line, less than $1 a foot.
Screws, Nuts, Washers vary, but are cheap enough.
Under body coating, $8, should paint dozens of bases.

All told, no more than $3 per decoy, not counting the cost of the decoy itself.
fishy55
hunter

Postby jon mcgrath » Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:13 pm

That's a pretty damn good idea. Especially now that they have the surface feeders and actives you could make those guys look like shells for a fraction of the price. Nice work.
jon mcgrath
hunter

Postby fishy55 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:18 am

My thoughts exactly. Just ordered the surface feeder pack from Cabela's for $42, plus I had a $25 gift card. I don't know that I'll wanna saw the keels off the Pro Series, but I may. Like I said, they aren't perfectly accurate, they don't have a spot on posture, but they're darn close. By the time you set em up in corn stubble, the ducks won't mind them a bit.
fishy55
hunter

Postby 1ynggun » Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:07 am

:lol: That is awesome man! I just found my first off season project for next year. Thanks for the info :thumbsup:
1ynggun
Forum & State Moderator

Postby jimmyash » Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:24 am

fishy keep us updated on the surface feeders if you get a chance! would love to see what those would look like. Thanks, Jimmy
jimmyash
hunter

Postby WaterfowlSniper » Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:44 am

Fishy55 Great Work!! Ive been cutting off deeks keels and just placing them on the ground along the waters edge, but this is great for visibility. In the off season I will be busy at work!! The only mod I may make is have some that just have straight stakes that go into the ground... :beer: :bow:
WaterfowlSniper
hunter

Postby fishy55 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:25 pm

I knew I shoulda patented the idea!! LOL. Glad I could help, we're all brothers afterall :beer:

Just got the Surface Feeders today, and I'm happy to say they're beautiful. I still don't know if I can bring myself to saw off the keels, but I'll mull it over for a while. They'd look great if I did, especially that 'stretching neck' drake pose.

Post up your pictures. I'd love to see all of your guys' mods, might give me another idea.

Lets keep this thread going.
fishy55
hunter

Postby jimmyash » Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:54 pm

have you done this on any other species besides mallards? I love those pintail full bodies, but i cant justify spending that much for just a 4 pack
jimmyash
hunter

Postby fishy55 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:27 pm

No, just the two mallards pictured above. There's no reason you couldn't do it to any other species, just adjust your hole on top and your cutout on the bottom. A drake pintail would need holes slightly further back to account for the weight of the tail. You could also just cut the entire bottom of the decoy off and make a shell, but I did it this way.

My buddies and I are planning to make at least a dozen of these, maybe even more. We're working on finding different poses that won't break the bank. I love my new Surface Feeder pack, but they're too nice to cut up.
fishy55
hunter

Postby jon mcgrath » Sat Jan 15, 2011 7:50 am

fishy55 wrote:No, just the two mallards pictured above. There's no reason you couldn't do it to any other species, just adjust your hole on top and your cutout on the bottom. A drake pintail would need holes slightly further back to account for the weight of the tail. You could also just cut the entire bottom of the decoy off and make a shell, but I did it this way.

My buddies and I are planning to make at least a dozen of these, maybe even more. We're working on finding different poses that won't break the bank. I love my new Surface Feeder pack, but they're too nice to cut up.

Don't be scared, it's only money lol. I can understand your reasoning, I have about $200 in cabelas points that I may redeem and try it out to see how they do. Maybe just cut out the bottom and make them into shells and get the avery motion kit.
jon mcgrath
hunter

Postby fishy55 » Sat Jan 15, 2011 12:24 pm

The beauty of this outfit is its simplicity and it's ultra-low cost. I've toyed with the shell idea, cutting off the whole bottom and all that. I'm afraid they'd blow off the press cap that way. You'd need to make the rod stick thru the decoys' back more if you wanted to do that.

If you make some of these, post up your pictures, I'd love to see them. :thumbsup:
fishy55
hunter

Postby REM1100 » Sat Jan 15, 2011 3:50 pm

I went to home depot and bought 50 cent foot long spiral spikes, drilled a hole just behind the head and pushed the stake thru.
Holds it and it still floats
on the X in Saskatchewan
REM1100
Provincial Moderator

Postby duckschooler » Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:43 am

Fishy, I'm tickled to death with this idea thanks for posting because I'm one of those guys with a thousand ideas but not enough know how.
#flock'em
duckschooler
hunter

Postby fishy55 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:40 pm

No problem guys. Anything to help. Still waiting to see what you guys come up with on your own!!! I'd like to see those pintails, and maybe some woodies?? We had a dozen woodies that buzzed our goose spread all afternoon during the Michigan early goose season in September. We had a crazy early harvest, and this was one of the first picked cornfields we hunted. I never realized that GHG has wood duck and teal HotBuys as well, found them in Mack's Prairie Wings catalog.
fishy55
hunter

Postby Ghillie_55 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:33 pm

Too cool! I work at a hardware store myself and can't wait to go hog wild on this full body idea.

This forum is filling my brain with too much duckk knowledge lol
TEAM NEWPORT
Ghillie_55
hunter

Postby Pond_Hopper » Sat Feb 26, 2011 3:12 pm

I just made one of these and it is great! I took about 15 mins tops, I couldnt find any orange tubing but I did find clear and orange duck tape worked great for the feet. Thanks for the idea, this gave me somthing to do before the october opener :grooving:
Pond_Hopper
hunter

Postby airtrafficcontroller » Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:14 am

Wow, this is all solid gold guys- well done. Great initial threat Fishy! :clapping:

I was looking to try this method for field geese- the price for good full body field goose decoys are pricey. This could be the answer I'm looking for. Has anyone else tried this with geese?
I'll let you all know how I do!

Cheers,
ATC
"Shoot like a natural.... because you are"
airtrafficcontroller
hunter

Postby airtrafficcontroller » Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:15 am

Pardon me......Great initial THREAD is what I meant to write.
Best to all!
"Shoot like a natural.... because you are"
airtrafficcontroller
hunter

Next

Return to Duck Decoy Forum