How many & what kind if you need to carry on your back?

Share tips and ask questions on all types of duck decoys. Including working, classics, collectable, and carving decoys.

Moderators: HENDU3270, fowlhunter, Remman, DUKHTR

How many & what kind if you need to carry on your back?

Postby jduck1 » Thu Oct 28, 2004 8:38 am

Looking to pick up some new decoys. I hunt the public refuge system in N. CA where you have to walk in and set up decoys each time out. For the most part I hunt potholes and a few times a year open water. The trick is that every thing I use needs to be packed in and out in one decoy bag. I made a small cart for the times I go on longer hikes.

The area I hunt is mostly Mallards, Pintail, Woodies, Widgeon, Teal, and Gadwalls. Every once in a while the old smiling Malard (shovler) flys in but we let them keep going. :tounge:

With the above in mind what would a good combination be to pick up? I have been using 1 dz Mallards and 1 Doz Teal but they are getting old and looking to replace them. Was thinking of adding some Widgeon, Woodies, and Gadwalls if it might add variety and make a difference. Anyone out there hunt the same species and mix decoys up like I am thiking of doing?????

Thanks,
jduck1
jduck1
hunter

Postby Ducksbeus » Thu Oct 28, 2004 12:54 pm

If it aint broke...dont fix it. I use mallards and teal also. Maybe get ya a couple of coots (all black) and a couple of goldeneyes (some white). Y'all have a nice day! :salude:
"You get what you put in, and people get what they deserve" Hank Jr. and Kid Rock
Ducksbeus
hunter

Postby texan68 » Thu Nov 11, 2004 10:04 pm

carrylite are great for walk in hunts
texan68
hunter

Postby had » Thu Nov 11, 2004 10:10 pm

i would say stick with the malards and i would add widgeon. like 12 mallards and 6 widgeon then add 6 divers like goldeneye or bluebills. the black and white works good for me. if you have never tryed it you should.

had
had
hunter

Return to Duck Decoy Forum