Tires as Goose decoys?

Share tips and ask questions on all types of duck decoys. Including working, classics, collectable, and carving decoys.

Moderators: HENDU3270, Remman, DUKHTR, fowlhunter

Tires as Goose decoys?

Postby fraserjim » Tue Nov 02, 2004 10:52 am

I have heard you can cut a car tire in half and stand them up in the field to represent geese. Has anybody heard of this or used this method sounds stange to me but does it work?

Thanks,
Jim Fraser
Be safe!
fraserjim
Newb

Postby Cobra » Tue Nov 02, 2004 6:11 pm

They used to do it 30 years ago in my area, limit was 1 per day, 5 per season. Know it wouldn't work at all now. Modern shells are used mainly as fillers in between the BigFoots, on there own they're marginal. Would add that our year round local goose population are very well educated.
Cobra
hunter

Postby Rowdy » Tue Nov 02, 2004 8:08 pm

i have a couple dozen in the basement and thats where they seem to stay.. the tires are cut in half turned inside out and the back cornersare painted white the textured grey surface looks kinda cool and pretty genious for when they were used. but technology has long surpassed the day of spraypainted bleach bottles and whatnot sure they will work but man are they heavy...
Rowdy
hunter

Postby h2ofwlr » Sun Nov 07, 2004 10:42 pm

They used lots of them in CO as I recall, and I think they still do. Like 500+ of them mixed in with shells and FBs.
The Audacity of Bull Crap.
"Typical: Gun-loving, bitter bible-thumping white person" Barack Obama.
Hey I resemble that comment!!! Those are FIGHTING WORDS!!!
h2ofwlr
Forum & State Moderator

Postby DUKHTR » Tue Nov 16, 2004 12:13 pm

they'll work in some areas - especially under uneducated birds - but let's give the geese a little credit and provide them with a classic decoy set......would you actually put out bleach bottles painted black for ducks!!???
DUKHTR
Forum & State Moderator

Return to Duck Decoy Forum