Mojo Stand

Share tips and ask questions on all types of duck decoys. Including working, classics, collectable, and carving decoys.

Moderators: HENDU3270, DUKHTR, fowlhunter, Remman

Mojo Stand

Postby TNAL45 » Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:32 am

I have a problem with my Mojo! :no:

My girlfriend got me a baby mojo for my birthday and the thing looks cool and I hope it works, but I have a problem. One of the rivers I hunt is very rock, but holds good numbers of ducks. The stand will be a pain to try and get into the bottom. Suggestions on how to build a stand that will hold the decoy upright without having to be driven in?

I was thinking about a bucket, PVC pipe, and concrete, or a Christmas tree holder stand.

Thanks in advance for the help.
cannon wrote:Rules, in general, are bad for me. Left to my own resources, I'm a fairly responsible citizen. Once rules are in place, I have an insatiable desire to break them repeatedly. It's a sickness.
TNAL45
hunter

Re: Mojo Stand

Postby BBK » Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:03 am

TNAL45 wrote:I have a problem with my Mojo! :no:

My girlfriend got me a baby mojo for my birthday and the thing looks cool and I hope it works, but I have a problem. One of the rivers I hunt is very rock, but holds good numbers of ducks. The stand will be a pain to try and get into the bottom. Suggestions on how to build a stand that will hold the decoy upright without having to be driven in?

I was thinking about a bucket, PVC pipe, and concrete, or a Christmas tree holder stand.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Those mojos rock back and forth pretty good, I wouldnt trust anything other than sticking it in the ground. You could get one of the floating versions if you wanted, that would probably work for you.
Why do I shoot 3.5" for geese? Because they don't make a 4" yet!
BBK
hunter

Postby TNAL45 » Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:19 pm

Does the duck board work that well? It just seems really expensive given that its more than you can get the decoys for now.
cannon wrote:Rules, in general, are bad for me. Left to my own resources, I'm a fairly responsible citizen. Once rules are in place, I have an insatiable desire to break them repeatedly. It's a sickness.
TNAL45
hunter

Postby alanwebfoot » Mon Oct 31, 2011 2:12 pm

BBK x 2 river current even slow would tip over a stand ,especially tree stand,see if a welder you know can make you a solid bar with a squared peg on the top to hold your decoy, a friends mojo square tube shaft is so beat up from driving it into river bottom he may need a new one
alanwebfoot
hunter

Postby canderso » Mon Oct 31, 2011 2:23 pm

I haven't done it yet but was looking at those floating Mojo boards. They appear to be a camo colored boogie board for kids with a hefty price tag. I thought about grabbing one from a local store called "5 and Below." Basically figuring, I can $5 for a cheap kids boogie board, paint it up with camo paint laying around and figure away to attach the mojo onto it. Shouldn't be too hard to do. Then tie a drop line with an anchor or heavy enough weight to hold it fast.

Not sure it would work in your currents. But something I was thinking about throwing together for my buddies mojo to see if it would work.
Fear God, love your neighbor, and hunt ducks. . . . The Duck Commander
canderso
hunter

Postby BuckCreek » Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:14 pm

I will try to explain this the best I can for you. We make our own stands from pvc got one from aluminum as well. WE hunt 10+ foot of water at times so a 15 ft pole isnt real feasible. Get pvc, with elbows make a square put a 3 way connector in the middle of 2 of the sides and face them towards the middle. put 2 poles going to center where they connect in the middle have a 3 way with this pole facing up. Once glued together it is very sturdy. I would make sides about 24 inches long and only make center pole about a foot good luck tipping it over we hunt some rough water and its never come close. Just get size of piping to fit mojo into the pole. Onec its all done just screw decoys through the keels to the 4 pvc sides and tie string and weight to pvc your set. If you want all the decoys facing same direction on the two sides with out 3 ways put 3ways so a pole sticks out front and back and screw decoys to it. I'd say you can build it for about 10-15 bucks. My buddy is the one that builds them may have to have him get on here and explain if this wasnt clear enough.
BuckCreek
hunter

Postby BBK » Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:31 pm

I never ever ever trust any of the put together poles spinners come with. I always go to the hardware store and buy steel conduit to fit it, either round or square depending on the decoy. You can hammer it into a hard bottom, and even stick it in clay and not have to worry about it bending. I have them anywhere from 3' for field hunting all the way up to 18' for hunting the miss river. I wrap the poles with camo duct tape, it lasts longer than spray paint.
BBK
hunter

Postby Bigroo » Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:06 pm

I built a float board for my Mojo out of an old boogie board it cost me less than ten bucks to build.I will try and take some pics and post them up. It works really well and will not flip over because I have a counter weight under the board.
Attachments
P1290048.JPG
Bigroo
hunter

Postby Bigroo » Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:02 pm

Another pic
Attachments
P1290049.JPG
Bigroo
hunter

Postby Bigroo » Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:03 pm

Last pic
Attachments
P1290050.JPG
Bigroo
hunter

Postby Bigroo » Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:13 pm

The blocks of wood are treated lumber and screwed together with galavanized deck screws, I cut a square hole through the blocks and the board at the same time and slid the mounting post though and slipped in the quick release pins and then snaped on the counter weight. It all comes apart in less than 30 seconds (unless it freezes :biggrin: ) and stores in a roughneck tote. Built for less than ten bucks. You could add camo netting if you wanted but I just painted it flat black. You can see the string loop hanging down that is where I attach the anchor.
Last edited by Bigroo on Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bigroo
hunter

Postby TNAL45 » Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:14 pm

Bigroo wrote:I built a float board for my Mojo out of an old boogie board it cost me less than ten bucks to build.I will try and take some pics and post them up. It works really well and will not flip over because I have a counter weight under the board.

Looks good. I think I have an old boogie board laying around somewhere. Have you found the board to flare ducks at all? I know it would be kind of hard to discern the actual cause, but I'm just curious.
TNAL45
hunter

Postby Bigroo » Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:20 pm

I think they flare because of my goofy face more than anything. :biggrin: I've seen them flare sometimes but I don't know if it is the board that caused it or not. You might try grassing it up that would help I'm sure.
Bigroo
hunter

Postby BBK » Wed Nov 02, 2011 4:27 pm

Honestly I think I would glue a couple mallard shells to that board to break it up a bit, I think it would look very nice. Or you could cut the keels off a couple old decoys and glue them to it.
BBK
hunter

Postby BuckCreek » Wed Nov 02, 2011 7:54 pm

TNA those picks of ours should be coming to your email soon good thing about it only visible part of it is the pole for the decoy other parts are under water.
BuckCreek
hunter

Postby Bigroo » Thu Nov 03, 2011 4:27 am

BC can you post up what you built I always like to see other ideas.
Bigroo
hunter

Postby BuckCreek » Thu Nov 03, 2011 1:10 pm

Bigroo wrote:BC can you post up what you built I always like to see other ideas.

Sure will, buddy of mine is going to post it soon he's a little more computer savvy.
BuckCreek
hunter

Postby Baymen Moe » Thu Nov 03, 2011 4:36 pm

My solution for the short stake length and bottom conditions is a piece of re-rod about 8ft long. A bit cumbersome in the canoe but I can put my spinner just about anywhere I hunt. Just make sure the stake fits over the rod. It's heavy enough to hold in the mud and I bet you could jam it through some rocky bottom.
Baymen Moe
hunter

Postby TNAL45 » Thu Nov 03, 2011 4:58 pm

I appreciate all the suggestions guys. For most of the river it won't be an issue, but for the best spot (of course) nothing short of a jackhammer will get that thing in. It's bedrock in some places. I'm still eagerly await the other pictures, as it sounds like the most promising idea for my situation. The board looks good too, but its really shallow when the water is down and might not work.
TNAL45
hunter

Postby MOSSBERG935 » Fri Nov 04, 2011 4:01 am

The frame is 24"x 24". the pieces sticking out on either end are 12". The post the Mojo sits on is ~8" long.

I built it with 1/2" PVC. The Mojo post is 3/4". Altogether, there were:

4-elbows
4- 1/2" T's
1- 1/2" ---> 3/4" T

10ft of 1/2" PVC
8" of 3/4" PVC

In order to get the Mojo to fit into the 3/4" post, you'll need to drill it out a little, but not too much. I push and twist the Mojo to make it fit perfect.

I've hunted with it for three years. I use 1.5lbs of lead to anchor it. I've used it on big water and never had a flip over. I've had boats wake it numerous times and it just rides the waves. Use magnum decoys for the best floatation.

Hope this helps

Jesse
MOSSBERG935
hunter

Postby Bigroo » Fri Nov 04, 2011 4:58 am

Hey Mossberg I like your rig looks like it would work really well that thing would float in a inch of water. :clapping:
Bigroo
hunter

Postby dakotashooter2 » Fri Nov 04, 2011 9:02 am

Just a thought but what about a tipod settup. I'd make it so the base would barely stick out of the water with your upright shaft extending from there. Water resisance should be minimal. If it is made to be foldable you would have some adjustment to the spread depending on current. A 5'-6' spead should provide enough stability provided the mojo isn't too high off the water. You could also add provisions to weigh down the legs.
dakotashooter2
hunter

Postby MOSSBERG935 » Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:12 am

I don't think a tripod setup would work. I've never walked around my decoy spread and noticed how level the lake's bottom was. Maybe if the legs were spaced really wide, but I couldn't afford to mess up Mojo's.
MOSSBERG935
hunter

Postby buckcreekrunner » Fri Nov 04, 2011 1:58 pm

My stand is similar to mossbergs actually he got his idea from us I think. I have a 40 HP motor and have put out some big wakes chasing cripples and have not flipped one yet. I have one like his made out of aluminum welded together and one out of PVC.
buckcreekrunner
Newb

Postby Tenner » Tue Nov 08, 2011 12:04 pm

What we have always done is take an old pan and pour concrete in it. So its like 2 inches thick then put a piece off angle iron in it to stick the mojo pole into. The concrete cirlce is like 10-12inches in circumfrence. So it stays up right very well...
Tenner
hunter

Next

Return to Duck Decoy Forum