Repainting Hot Buys into Divers

Share tips and ask questions on all types of duck decoys. Including working, classics, collectable, and carving decoys.

Moderators: HENDU3270, Remman, DUKHTR, fowlhunter

Repainting Hot Buys into Divers

Postby quackhunter99 » Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:56 pm

FYI Mack's has hotbuys on sale for anyone lookin for repaints
2 year old field bred English Cocker Spanial
16x56 Go devil Boat with 35 longtail
Wigeon with 7 horse Go devil
quackhunter99
hunter

Re: Repainting Hot Buys into Divers

Postby FlockKnocker » Fri Dec 23, 2011 9:28 pm

i did the same thing... but those look better!
FlockKnocker
hunter

Postby carolinagreenhead » Tue Dec 27, 2011 5:52 pm

Did these a couple years ago. Time to do some more.
Attachments
DSC00006.JPG
DSC00005.JPG
carolinagreenhead
hunter

Re: Re: Repainting Hot Buys into Divers

Postby whaknstak » Tue Dec 27, 2011 7:35 pm

carolinagreenhead wrote:Did these a couple years ago. Time to do some more.

It's a beautiful thing aint it. Cost about 1/3 the price of divers brand new. Next to nothing if you get em used. Those look sweet. Nice job!
"Do you care about freedom? Dreams may have inspired it, and wishes prompted it, but only war and weapons have made it yours."

Col Jeff Cooper
whaknstak
hunter

Postby erp10 » Tue Jan 03, 2012 6:02 am

Thanks for the idea. I did this and had buffies decoying for the first time. Works great.
erp10
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:22 pm

bump...
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby JuniorPre 360 » Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:35 pm

I'll have to het the camera out tinight and post my buffies, cans, and redheads
A BAD DAY AT THE MARSH BEATS A GOOD DAY AT WORK.
killwoodies101 wrote:your a dudshe bag! You dont own the river your dont own any property around it.. Its just as mush mine and any other tom **** and harry's as it is yours !! get a life share what is yours or stop hunting
JuniorPre 360
hunter

Postby JuniorPre 360 » Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:52 am

Still got little things to do like the buffie's bill and shadow the redheads.
killwoodies101 wrote:your a dudshe bag! You dont own the river your dont own any property around it.. Its just as mush mine and any other tom **** and harry's as it is yours !! get a life share what is yours or stop hunting
JuniorPre 360
hunter

Postby richard rouleau » Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:18 am

what color did you use on the head of the can and red head ?
southern utah waterfowler
richard rouleau
hunter

Postby JuniorPre 360 » Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:50 pm

richard rouleau wrote:what color did you use on the head of the can and red head ?

The redhead heads is the rustoleum spray paint primer called brown rust and the canvasback head is burnt sienna.
JuniorPre 360
hunter

Postby RugerandMe » Sat Aug 18, 2012 3:43 pm

You guys motivated me today so I did 3 to see how they would turn out. I think I got the bodies pretty close but I used the wrong color for the head. Heading back to Lowes.............
Attachments
Ducks II.jpg
Ducks.jpg
RugerandMe
hunter

Postby RugerandMe » Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:02 pm

Got the right paint this time and finished them up. :thumbsup:
Attachments
Duck.JPG
RugerandMe
hunter

Postby erp10 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:32 am

This was the blue bills buffies and goldeneye I painted this summer. I never targeted divers before...saw some last yeear gonna give it a shot.
Attachments
2012-07-12 16.16.14.jpg
erp10
hunter

Postby idahobass96 » Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:12 pm

carolinagreenhead wrote:Did these a couple years ago. Time to do some more.

carilinagreenhead: what color green did you use on your bluebills? that little touch makes them work really good
idahobass96
hunter

Postby WIDrakeKiller » Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:45 am

Waste of time unless u actually have Hot Buys that are beat up. GHG Life-Size Blue Bills go on sale for like $50 at the end of the season so why spend the time and effort. Also they look better and have better keels.
WIDrakeKiller
hunter

Postby JuniorPre 360 » Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:04 am

WIDrakeKiller wrote:Waste of time unless u actually have Hot Buys that are beat up. GHG Life-Size Blue Bills go on sale for like $50 at the end of the season so why spend the time and effort. Also they look better and have better keels.

Your post is true about the beat up hotbuys. I hate seeing brand new stormfronts spraypainted over. But, they are only $25 a dozen, invest maybe $8 in paint, they will still be cheaper and you won't have to wait until after the season is over to get them. I think detailed decoys are sold to the hunters and not the ducks. I've seen people kill limmits over pure black silos. Black and white floaters will and do work.
JuniorPre 360
hunter

Postby WIDrakeKiller » Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:43 am

Junior Pre, first off the keels on Hot Buys just suck. Second off we shot one today by accident and it just wrecked the decoy because the plastic is thinner than regular GHG decoys. I think ur right on the realistic thing is more for the hunters but why go buy perfectly new Hot Buys and spend money for paint and take all the time to paint them. It will be around $35 a dozen for repainted Hot Buys. Why not buy GHG Life-Size Blue Bills that have an actual keel, look way better, and u can repaint them easily when they get beat up. They go on sale for $50 usually at the end of the season. If I have old Hot Buys then yah all paint em, but don't lie u know its a waste of time to go buy new decoys to go and repaint them.
WIDrakeKiller
hunter

Postby JuniorPre 360 » Tue Oct 30, 2012 1:05 pm

When you say that the keel on the hot buys suck what do you mean? You're not able to put a weight on them or they tip over in the water or what? I do own a lot of GHG decoys and I found that the hotbuys do in fact have the same thickness of plastic. I have cut a few of them open for projects. I can't imagine the manufacturer using a different method or machine to mass produce all of their decoys. Anything plastic usually gets beat up pretty bad when shot by a shotgun. Flambeaus from wong-mart are extremely thin. You are able to bend the decoy whereas on a hotbuy you cannot. I hate hotbuys because lately they do chip way too easily. $35, if you do spend that much on paint, is still cheaper and quicker than $50 when the season is over and you cannot use them. It's a fun project, ducks come into decoys you painted, adds numbers for cheap, and I have seen so far that they look and work just as good as any company's decoy. Not trying to argue or anything, but I as well as many others can assure you that it is not "a wast of time."
JuniorPre 360
hunter

Postby BBK » Tue Oct 30, 2012 1:16 pm

WIDrakeKiller wrote:Why not buy GHG Life-Size Blue Bills that have an actual keel, look way better, and u can repaint them easily when they get beat up. They go on sale for $50 usually at the end of the season.

I think you answered that yourself. Why would you tell someone to wait until the end of the season to buy decoys? If you are painting decoys right now you obviously need them for this year.

You need diver decoys? dont paint your own, wait until after this season then buy some for 50% more than you can paint them for.... yeah that makes sense.

Myself, I'll stick with the storm fronts repainted. Buying new decoys and paint I'm in them less than $35 a dozen. (less than $15 a dozen if I buy used) That seems like a much better price for when they WILL get shot. I dont want to wait for a decoy to go on sale for $50 a dozen ( $70 a doz regular priced) then beat myself up when it is split wide open by a #2 shot. I can watch a storm front repaint sink to the bottom of the river and say "oh well". Not so much with a fancy painted $50 a doz decoy.

A few cans of walmart $0.98 can of flat black, gray primer, and flat white go a LONG Way to making useable divers.
BBK
hunter

Postby BBK » Tue Oct 30, 2012 1:43 pm

I did these this morning with the walmart paint. Used less than a half can of primer, black, and white.
Gray primer bills
Flat white over gray primer for the sides
Flat black over the rest of the decoy
Dotted the eyes yellow.

I still need to hit the backs with a light mist of gray, waiting for them to set up good first. Then comes a coat of matte clear.
BBK
hunter

Postby JuniorPre 360 » Tue Oct 30, 2012 1:58 pm

I found that those drakes make good canvasbacks and the hens make good coots. Nice work!
JuniorPre 360
hunter

Postby BBK » Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:09 pm

JuniorPre 360 wrote:I found that those drakes make good canvasbacks and the hens make good coots. Nice work!

Yup, these are the old style storm fronts from a few years ago through. The hens and drakes are nearly identical except for the curl on the butt. The new ones have different shapes but still look good repainted.
BBK
hunter

Postby WIDrakeKiller » Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:13 am

While u guys say this I painted 6 old Flam's into Canvasbacks. I didn't pay anything for them so I have just paint money into them. Thats worth it. Going and buying new decoys and painting them thats ur choice. I would recommend going on craigslist, u can find old diver deeks on their for cheap, and they have better positions. I like the GHG Blue-Bills, they are tough and look great. Its nice having decoys though that look exactly like the real thing. One less excuse for why the ducks didn't come in. Extreme realism, needed, hell no, wanted yes!
WIDrakeKiller
hunter

Postby JuniorPre 360 » Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:29 am

WIDrakeKiller wrote:While u guys say this I painted 6 old Flam's into Canvasbacks. I didn't pay anything for them so I have just paint money into them. Thats worth it. Going and buying new decoys and painting them thats ur choice. I would recommend going on craigslist, u can find old diver deeks on their for cheap, and they have better positions. I like the GHG Blue-Bills, they are tough and look great. Its nice having decoys though that look exactly like the real thing. One less excuse for why the ducks didn't come in. Extreme realism, needed, hell no, wanted yes!

Yup, realism wanted by the hunters, not necessary what so ever to kill ducks. I've painted 12 buffleheads, 12 redheads, 6 canvasbacks, and 6 coots. 3 dozen decoys for about $85. They look identical to a real duck, adds numbers, A LOT cheaper than any brand of diver decoys, and I get them now during the season when I need them. They are a mixture of hot buys and flambeaus so they are resting and alert. My future addition will be a sleeping canvasback painted from a sleeping ghg mallard.
JuniorPre 360
hunter

Postby WIDrakeKiller » Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:35 am

Yup, Im glad that your fine with that, would I be comfortable hunting over all DIY weeks, no. But I'll mix em in.
WIDrakeKiller
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to Duck Decoy Forum