All Black Decoys?

Share tips and ask questions on all types of duck decoys. Including working, classics, collectable, and carving decoys.

Moderators: HENDU3270, Remman, DUKHTR, fowlhunter

Re: All Black Decoys?

Postby Big Hutch » Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:50 am

Add Catahoula Lake to that list. Spreads of 800-1000 are common with a mix of 2 -4 black (color) jugs to each "regular" decoy.

Robbie aka Big Hutch
Big Hutch
hunter

Postby Dog Tired » Mon Apr 07, 2014 5:16 am

I'd love to see a picture of what different folks are using. I'm a rattle can away from turning old mallard hens into blacks.
Dog Tired
hunter

Postby mudpack » Mon Apr 14, 2014 6:46 am

Slack Tide wrote:Did you ever see one of those lawn ornaments that look like a Cowboy leaning against a tree? Did you ever notice how you will be driving down the street and one of those things snaps your head around and grabs your attention? I do..

Well, actually, I'm not that attracted to cowboys or to metal art that looks like cowboys.
I'm much more inclined to look at cowgirls.

If cowboys make your head snap around, that's okay, Slack.
Each to his own. :thumbsup:

:lol3:
mudpack
hunter

Postby no ducks » Tue Apr 15, 2014 6:54 am

no ducks
hunter

Postby mudpack » Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:21 am

no ducks wrote:http://www.ducks.org/hunting/decoys/decoy-spreads-freshwater-marsh-spread

Here's a quote from that link:
"I've talked to biologists who fly aerial waterfowl surveys, and they've told me the first thing they notice when they see ducks on the water is their black profiles."

I read this exact same thing a lot. I have no reason to doubt it. I do have reason to doubt its significance, since we have no way of knowing if waterfowl see things the same way waterfowl biologists see them. Almost certainly they DO see things differently, the question is: how much differently and in what way(s)?
E.g.: Hens are difficult for you and I to see. Are they difficult for the ducks to see? :biggrin:
Last edited by mudpack on Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
mudpack
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Tue Apr 15, 2014 2:37 pm

mudpack wrote:I do..
like cowboys.

Thanks for the self portrait Mud Packer........I'm going to paint some decoys.....
Attachments
images-1.jpg
images-1.jpg (6.47 KiB) Viewed 277 times
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby NVDuckSlapper » Tue Apr 15, 2014 3:46 pm

A few guys around here will toss out coot decoys which are completely black besides the white bill. They say that if the ducks see other ducks near coots they associate it with safety because hunters hardly ever use coot decoys. Same thing with the whole ducks thinking like humans thing, but It's worth a shot
"Federal Tax Refund. Three beautiful words that could easily be turned into three other beautiful words: floating goose decoys."
NVDuckSlapper
hunter

Postby mudpack » Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:29 am

Sorry, Slack, I didn't mean to touch a nerve.

Did you have to search diligently for that photo....or is it your screensaver?
Last edited by mudpack on Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
mudpack
hunter

Postby Frank Lopez » Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:02 am

mudpack wrote: Here's a quote from that link:
"I've talked to biologists who fly aerial waterfowl surveys, and they've told me the first thing they notice when they see ducks on the water is their black profiles."

Perhaps it's different from the air, but it seems to me that in rough water, light colored birds are easier to spot. We get a lot of divers out in the open water of LI Sound. When looking for them, I always seem to spot the drakes first, then with a bit of effort, I can pick out the hens. Like I said, maybe it's different from the air.

Frank
I feel slightly sorry for a man who has never patterned his gun, who has no idea how far his chosen load will retain killing penetration. But I'm extremely sorry for the ducks he shoots at beyond the killing range of his gun and load - Bob Brister
Frank Lopez
hunter

Postby mudpack » Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:53 am

I tend to agree. I always spot the birds with lots of white on them (pintail/shoveler/scaup/canvasback drakes) before I see black/dark birds......but, then, I'm not a duck.
mudpack
hunter

Postby Elvis Kiwi » Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:51 pm

right to start off with before someone crucifies me.. what bird are you talking
Black duck= looks like smaller hen mallard with grey feet and greenish bill with green speculum with black bar??? colour wise
if so they are known as greys over here and are MORE trusting than mallards..they are more a small creek bird and the mallards have dominated them numbers wise since the 60s. I have a few dekes with green speculums and some 50%blue/violet 50%green to sort of make up a greylard (crossbreed) does it make a difference??? makes me feel Ive done my bit..so yes.
Elvis Kiwi
hunter

Postby KyMike » Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:16 pm

The OP was talking about black colored decoys. The others were talking about the American black ducks.

Color Pattern
American Black Ducks have very dark brown bodies with pale gray-brown heads and yellow-green bills. Females tend to be slightly paler than males, with duller olive bills. In flight, the underwings are bright white. The secondaries (speculum) are iridescent purple without white borders.
KyMike
hunter

Previous

Return to Duck Decoy Forum