buying new decoys

Share tips and ask questions on all types of duck decoys. Including working, classics, collectable, and carving decoys.

Moderators: HENDU3270, Remman, DUKHTR, fowlhunter

buying new decoys

Postby shanetheduckkilla » Tue Nov 09, 2004 10:23 pm

im going sometime this week to go get more decoys im already gettting 2 of those blow up duck butt decoys that shake and a babby mojo i already have a dozen mallards and a dozen pintail just feel like i need more decoys anybody kno what i should get in my area there r wigeon gadwal mallards pintail teal and some wood duck but thats pretty much it
shanetheduckkilla
hunter

Postby mallardhunter » Tue Nov 09, 2004 10:26 pm

Maybe you should buy some hot buy decoys from GHG, they look great and they are pretty cheap.
Keep working millions on welfare depend on you!!!
If hunting is a sport I am the M.V.P.
www.goosehuntingchat.com
www.nodakoutdoors.com
mallardhunter
hunter

Postby ks_waterfowler » Tue Nov 09, 2004 10:28 pm

Get some G&H mallards. Adjustable head positions make the spread more realisitic. They last forever (we still hunt over some of my buddy's dad's decoy that are 15 years old). We have had some for 5 years that when you get the dirt off look like they did straight outta the box. The are a little expensive, but they should be some decoys that will last you your entire waterfowling career.

Oh yeah, their customer service is second to none. Dealt with them before, and they back their products 100%.
whistlin_wings wrote:I grew up in a neighborhood with only 3 pools and a public golf course. Thug life is all I know.
ks_waterfowler
hunter

Postby mallardhunter » Tue Nov 09, 2004 10:29 pm

I might buy some of those next year, and retire some of my other decoys.
Keep working millions on welfare depend on you!!!
If hunting is a sport I am the M.V.P.
www.goosehuntingchat.com
www.nodakoutdoors.com
mallardhunter
hunter

Postby h2ofwlr » Wed Nov 10, 2004 12:02 am

I'ld have to say go with the Widgeon. Best looking out there are the GHG. I love G&Hs-but their Widgeon stink for body shape for this species.

Flambaue makes a decent Woodie too that is reasonably priced.
The Audacity of Bull Crap.
"Typical: Gun-loving, bitter bible-thumping white person" Barack Obama.
Hey I resemble that comment!!! Those are FIGHTING WORDS!!!
h2ofwlr
Forum & State Moderator

Postby HUMBOLDT HUNTER » Wed Nov 10, 2004 8:18 pm

My little bought a dozen of the GHG HOT BUY SERIES, theyre cool they have weighted keels and the paint is pretty good on them and they are inexspensive too. I have some of the GWT's and Widgeon decoys from GHG too and they are awesome they have weighted keels that snap on and off so you can use them as perimeter decoys and the detail on them is pretty amazing compared to some of the other brands out there. I would also say that G&H decoys are a good buy as well.
HUMBOLDT HUNTER
hunter

Postby quackkiller » Wed Nov 10, 2004 9:30 pm

If I were you I'd get some GHG wigeons or gadwalls. They look great!
quackkiller
hunter

Postby Hunten E Guy » Mon Nov 15, 2004 11:36 pm

i have ghg oversized mallards and some wigeon and gadwalls, nd they are awsome, i recomend ghg
Hunten E Guy
hunter

Postby yellowlab » Tue Nov 16, 2004 9:56 pm

you could try getting some black ducks or coot they are dark colored and help bring birds in from a long ways off because of them being able to be seen... also if any divers do come along you can bag em'
they also work nice as confinece deks
yellowlab
Forum & State Moderator

Postby DawgMD » Thu Nov 18, 2004 1:46 pm

I had to smile after some of the replies you have been getting. It has always been my opinion through many years of experience that when you buy anything, the manufacture wants to "attract" the buyer not the ducks they are hunting. Understand that the most important thing about a decoy is not its paint job when it comes in a box (I suggest you always repaint them to your location, time of year and species hunted) but how they ride in the water. Floating decoys should always be half the width they are long. So a duck decoy that is 18" long should be 9" wide. They are hard to find sometimes but don't settle for decoys that just come in a pretty box. Remember, manufactures sometimes make the box before the decoys - it should be just the opposite. My suggestion would be the new Cabela Real Image decoys. They are hard to beat in what I mention.
DawgMD
hunter

Return to Duck Decoy Forum