Storing Decoys

Share tips and ask questions on all types of duck decoys. Including working, classics, collectable, and carving decoys.

Moderators: HENDU3270, fowlhunter, Remman, DUKHTR

Storing Decoys

Postby lamboicon » Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:52 pm

So I just started duck hunting this year and I want to make sure I store my decoys up the best way. I have 24 that are Texas rigged and 12 that are rap around the keel. What is the best way to store them. Hang them or leave them in the bag. In the shed or in spare room. Thanks for the help.
lamboicon
hunter

Re: Storing Decoys

Postby whaknstak » Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:51 pm

If You have a shed, clip a dozen or so together, hang them, unknotted from a rafters or hook.

Edit to add picImage
"Do you care about freedom? Dreams may have inspired it, and wishes prompted it, but only war and weapons have made it yours."

Col Jeff Cooper
whaknstak
hunter

Postby Tracker19 » Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:50 pm

out of the sun and out of your way, i put a shelf in my shed for mine
go afeild with a good attitude , with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. it will cleanse your soul and make you a better person-Fred Bear
Tracker19
hunter

Postby 20bolt » Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:47 pm

They should be fine most whatever you do. I wouldn't recommend it, but some of my decoys stay in my attic during the summer. Gets up about 150 and they make it. The only real damage I have ever seen done to decoys is leaving them in a boat that was frozen with ice, or leaving them in the sun.

Kind of sucks, but it always seems just putting out my decoys causes more damage then mistreating them off the field.
Support Conservation Efforts
Hunters and non-hunters alike should support wilderness conservation by both personal actions like conserving natural resources, and by supporting the good work of institutions like Ducks Unlimited.
20bolt
hunter

Postby lamboicon » Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:12 am

thanks for the ideas i am going to hang them so the string will not have cremps in it.
lamboicon
hunter

Postby alanwebfoot » Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:37 am

and for anybody with stretch bands for keel grabber weights,let the slack off. Or you might be replacing them all next fall.
alanwebfoot
hunter

Postby Frank Lopez » Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:31 am

alanwebfoot wrote:and for anybody with stretch bands for keel grabber weights,let the slack off. Or you might be replacing them all next fall.

:thumbsup:

Good pick up, Alan!

After the season, I wash them off with clean water, let them dry and then store them on a shelf in the basement. I don't like to put them up in the garage or the shed because of the extreme temperature swings. Like Alan said, be sure to undo the stretchees.

Frank
I feel slightly sorry for a man who has never patterned his gun, who has no idea how far his chosen load will retain killing penetration. But I'm extremely sorry for the ducks he shoots at beyond the killing range of his gun and load - Bob Brister
Frank Lopez
hunter

Postby eagles2069 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:30 pm

alanwebfoot wrote:and for anybody with stretch bands for keel grabber weights,let the slack off. Or you might be replacing them all next fall.

Thanks for the tip. I put stretchees cords on like 80% of my decoys this and would of never thought of unwrapping them to release the stress. I guess I know what I will be doing next weekend haha.
eagles2069
hunter

Postby 2500hdon37s » Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:01 pm

before I put away any decoy I always give them a good wash.

texas rigged, let the lines hang loose and put them in a regular decoy bag then store them in my shop along with all my other decoys.
NRA and DU member, are you? if not you should be!

rabbitdundied wrote: I use my mojos in places I don't want birds to land.
2500hdon37s
Forum Moderator

Postby goodkarmarising » Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:04 pm

I just them into a decoy bag and put them into the shed for the rest of the year till the next duck season starts.
Only number that matters, retrieves by the pup: 176
Cooper: 15
Proud owner of 2 non hunt trial/field trial fire breathers
goodkarmarising
hunter

Postby rew » Sat Jan 28, 2012 12:13 am

i second that good karma. i just leave mine in there decoy bag fromt the last time i took them out. but before season opens i take them out to clean them up and see what needs to done and added to the spread for next season :biggrin:
rew
hunter

Postby mikesbales » Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:06 am

I keep all of mine in the storage unit. Because it isn't climate controlled I don't just hang them. I got a few of those plastic storage shelves ($20.00/ea @ Wal-mart) and put some paracord around the sides to act as a "rail" and stack them three or four high on that. The first dozen decoys I bought (used, and poor quality) were warped one summer in the shed from just hanging by the rigging. Just my 2cents.
mikesbales
hunter

Postby koonce727 » Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:17 am

I hang my texas rigs as other have stated. some in the gargage, and some in the storage room in the basement. Deeks with ace weights(bungies get shelved with the slack out).
Burlap Brothers Guide Service
koonce727
hunter

Postby Cajun1085 » Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:59 pm

Koonce,

That is quite a collection. How many years of duck hunting? Ive been duck hunting 20 years, but have only been hunting on my own for 3 years. Got about 9 dozen. How many do you think you have there?
GATORTAIL 1646 25GTR

SouthEast Gator-tail
Cajun1085
hunter

Postby koonce727 » Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:50 am

Been chasing fowl for about 20. Been more on my own now for about 8 of those after my grandfather/mentor passed.
Don't no how many are in the photo but its only part if what i own. Picture got cut out on the left. My storage room in the basement is also loaded. I got somewhere around 15+ doz mallard floaters, another 8doz scrap duck deeks, about 15 doz divers, 6+ doz goose floaters, a few doz fb mallards. Too much to say the least. Been selling some off hear and there and updating them and buying deeks that will last.

All my body language decoys are on shelves in the basement storage room cover with Plastic.

The wife loves me to say the least.
koonce727
hunter

Postby Cajun1085 » Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:31 pm

koonce727 wrote:Been chasing fowl for about 20. Been more on my own now for about 8 of those after my grandfather/mentor passed.
Don't no how many are in the photo but its only part if what i own. Picture got cut out on the left. My storage room in the basement is also loaded. I got somewhere around 15+ doz mallard floaters, another 8doz scrap duck deeks, about 15 doz divers, 6+ doz goose floaters, a few doz fb mallards. Too much to say the least. Been selling some off hear and there and updating them and buying deeks that will last.

All my body language decoys are on shelves in the basement storage room cover with Plastic.

The wife loves me to say the least.

That is a ton of decoys and a great wife!
GATORTAIL 1646 25GTR

SouthEast Gator-tail
Cajun1085
hunter

Postby koonce727 » Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:07 pm

Yea, to many. The old saying goes if you cant get your deeks in your boat buy a bigger one. Well that didnt help much to say the least. After years of running massive spread, i am slowing down sizing. Not much, but I usually hunt with just my brother and picking up 300 deeks day in and out has gotten old. I will still run large spreads, and like to have the option of loading my buddies boat if conditions allow it.

If you want to be serious about huntin you have to have a good women at your side. From me bellowing on calls, to giving our son one to go annoy her, to the stinky dogs, she puts up with it very well. She knew what she was getting into. Haha
koonce727
hunter

Postby F250 » Thu Jul 04, 2013 6:33 am

I just switched 3 dozen water keel floating Mallard decoys and one dozen weighted keel Ringneck decoys to 54" 6 oz. Rig 'em Right texas style weight systems. I have 12 decoys per carrying clip. Hanging the decoys from the clip would be a nice, easy way to store them. Has anyone experienced a problem when doing that ?
F250
hunter

Postby JoJer » Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:48 pm

My dekes are all Texas rigged with 400# mono. Before that, they were rigged with trimmer string, before that, tangle free line. I've stored them hanging from the lines, in the garage, and in bags in the rafters. I never had a damaged decoy or a problem with line memory causing snags or knots.
JoJer
hunter

Postby mudpack » Sat Jul 13, 2013 10:30 am

I store mine in the same decoy bags I used during the season. Hang the bags in the shed. Probably not the best thing....gets pretty hot in there during the summer....but haven't had any noticeable damage from it ever.

Best would be on shelves, in the house. But what a pain moving them in and out twice a year.
mudpack
hunter

Return to Duck Decoy Forum