field hunting decoys

Share tips and ask questions on all types of duck decoys. Including working, classics, collectable, and carving decoys.

Moderators: HENDU3270, fowlhunter, Remman, DUKHTR

field hunting decoys

Postby vanvo » Fri Nov 12, 2004 6:33 pm

where i live we have a large number of mallard (400-500) all migration and there is no water to hunt on. we have been puting up two robo ducks in our goose spread. it has been amazing how the ducks are drawn in. but i was wondering if puting some mallard shells out would help convince them to come in.
vanvo
hunter

Postby mallardhunter » Fri Nov 12, 2004 6:39 pm

It might help out a little bit, but I think the ducks look more at the robo ducks then anything, bucause I was sitting in my blind with the flaps open and then some duck sucked right in. I wouldn't worry about it unless you have some duck decoys laying around I would throw them out in your decoys. I put my hot buy decoys out in my spread and they look great even though they are a water decoy.
Keep working millions on welfare depend on you!!!
If hunting is a sport I am the M.V.P.
www.goosehuntingchat.com
www.nodakoutdoors.com
mallardhunter
hunter

Postby NESoDak » Sat Nov 13, 2004 9:52 am

I agree to a point. I think adding mallard shells will indeed help draw in ducks, especially if you are calling to them. A duck sees another duck in landing mode, but what duck is making those hail calls? Having duck shells 15 yards upwind of your main goose spread will look altogether natural to the ducks and the geese as well. The Robo-ducks will certainly get thier attention but the shells will show them after a closer look that this really is a safe place or hey! there wouldn't be a dozen ducks there eating and loafing.
"If you don't think too good ... Don't think too much." Ted Williams
NESoDak
hunter

Postby Cobra » Sat Nov 13, 2004 1:42 pm

Had some old Herter's fiberglass goose sheels that I bought back in the '70s that weren't being used anymore so we repainted as Mallards. They work great, use some Snow/Blue rags with them and birds will pile in. Problem is we aren't seeing any ducks here at present and Canadians are closed, they pile in too.
Cobra
hunter

Postby DUKHTR » Tue Nov 16, 2004 12:10 pm

ever looked at Eberhard decoys.....very nice full body mallardfs or pins.....$99 per dozen I beleive....Scott may be willing to work a deal with you, I got a dozen unpainted and without 'legs'

anyhow....the goose decoys will bring the ducks ....too bad it doesn't work the other way around often.... so you probably do not need the duck dekes....but they add style to your rig!!!!
DUKHTR
Forum & State Moderator

Return to Duck Decoy Forum