Jerk strings

Share tips and ask questions on all types of duck decoys. Including working, classics, collectable, and carving decoys.

Moderators: HENDU3270, Remman, DUKHTR, fowlhunter

Jerk strings

Postby Cupped-n-Committed » Wed Nov 17, 2004 1:01 pm

I would like ya'll ideas on a good jerk string. I will be setting up in the Potomac river hear and plan ot making 1 or two feeder dekes into bobbers. I would run the jerk string to the middle of the keel and run it straight down to an eye hole in a weight and back to me. When they fly in I can bounce the dekes and make waves.

Thoughts and ideas? What do you guys do? I got a buddy using a vibrating deke but it might not be real noticable in a slight curent.
Cupped-n-Committed
Forum & State Moderator

Postby 98ramtough » Wed Nov 17, 2004 1:14 pm

Quack
98ramtough
hunter

Postby DawgMD » Thu Nov 18, 2004 1:13 pm

One thing that I do and it seems to work well, is to attach a couple nf bungy cords to your jerk string. What I do is have two fairly heavy weights about 10 feet apart. I attach a bungy cord to each weight and then my decoy line attached to the decoy itself. I make sure the two weights are spread apart enough so that there is tenison on the each of the bungy's. Then I run a line from the decoy to through a eye in the weight back to the blind. So when I pull on the decoy, I not only get the motion towards me but also the motion back again when I release the line.
This also works really well for me when I use geese decoys. I would suggest that you use a magnum decoy and not the butt decoys for your motion. What you are really looking for is not "motion" in your spread but more importantly the distrubance on the water (water wakes and ripples) these can be seen by ducks and geese much further away than your decoys. When it is windy day, then you don't need your motion.
Try it out in your backyard first or pool. I think you will like it!
DawgMD
hunter

Postby 10 ga. » Tue Nov 23, 2004 7:49 pm

There is a really good set up ofor sale on ebay my buddy bought one and he loves it. I am thinking about getting one myself.
10 ga.
DHC Sponsor

Return to Duck Decoy Forum