I spent some time today wire brushing, cleaning, and coating 3 dozen decoys. After reading a variety of threads in the decoy forum, I decided to use truck bed liner as a base coat. All the threads indicated it would bind to the plastic really well, and provide a good paintable base. While I was picking up the spray can truck bed liner a few days ago, I noticed that there was a plasticized vehicle undercoating right next to it from the same manufacturer. After reading the labels I could only see two different components in the bed liner. One is a color pigment, the other is a drying agent. The undercoating cost $3.49 a can, the bed liner cost $7.49 a can.
After spraying the two different materials on the decoys today, I can tell you that the bed liner is easier to spray a thin coating with, it sprays on black, and drys in less than an hour. The undercoating sprays on a bit thicker, and takes several hours to dry, and a full day to cure. I painted a couple decoys two days ago as a test run. The two materials are pretty much identical otherwise. They dry the same color. Have the same texture, and I am guessing will be equally tough during field use. Despite being twice the price I still like the bed liner better for the quick drying factor.
The first picture shows the decoys I coated today. the right side were done with the bedliner and are fully dry. The left side were coated with the undercoating and still have a sheen since they are wet. The pintail decoys on the left will be turned into longtailed duck decoys. The far right are canvasbacks, and the middle ones will be a mix of bluebills and Barrows Golden Eyes.
This shot gives a closer look at some of the decoys that are dry. These 6 will be BGE's.
A recent purchase of 42 decoys for $40 netted me 12 canvasback decoys. Their paint jobs will get started tomorrow if the weather holds. Trica, Morgan, and I are planning to do some skeet shooting in the morning so the paint job will have to wait until tomorrow afternoon.
Here is a picture of the two products.