Avian x mallards

Share tips and ask questions on all types of duck decoys. Including working, classics, collectable, and carving decoys.

Moderators: HENDU3270, Remman, DUKHTR, fowlhunter

Avian x mallards

Postby Bananapony607 » Sat Jul 21, 2012 7:43 pm

I seen avian x just came out with some mallard floaters, anyone heard anything about paint quality they look alot like GHG pro grade mallards
Bananapony607
hunter

Re: Avian x mallards

Postby BuckCreek » Sat Jul 21, 2012 8:48 pm

They sure didn't make them as realistic as the geese . they've got along way to go to catch up to Dakota on looks and 140 doz ain't cheap
BuckCreek
hunter

Postby 2500hdon37s » Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:09 pm

BuckCreek wrote:They sure didn't make them as realistic as the geese . they've got along way to go to catch up to Dakota on looks and 140 doz ain't cheap

x2 I havent found anything that compares to Dakota. the Avians look shiney to me and if the paint is anything like whats on the full body avian x geese I'll pass!
NRA and DU member, are you? if not you should be!

rabbitdundied wrote: I use my mojos in places I don't want birds to land.
2500hdon37s
hunter

Postby handyandy » Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:44 am

Most of my decoys are cheap ones or ones I got used for free that either look like crap or look alright after painting I'm waiting on rogers to have their dakota's go on sale for the season as soon as they do I'm buying some my friend has some of there floater mallard, canada floaters, and full body canadas all them look more realistic than any other decoy I have seen and have held up better than anything else. I don't think the any of the avian x stuff is worth the money when you can get dakotas for less just my opinion.
Red neck engineering- If ya can't fix it with duck tape, bailing wire, zip ties, and JB weld well than it can't be fixed.

If it moves and it aint suppose to duck tape it. If doesn't move and its suppose to put WD-40 on it.
handyandy
hunter

Postby Bananapony607 » Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:56 pm

Yeah it Sounds like dakota mallards are the way to go right now I havnt found anything better
Bananapony607
hunter

Postby 2500hdon37s » Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:28 am

handyandy wrote:Most of my decoys are cheap ones or ones I got used for free that either look like crap or look alright after painting I'm waiting on rogers to have their dakota's go on sale for the season as soon as they do I'm buying some my friend has some of there floater mallard, canada floaters, and full body canadas all them look more realistic than any other decoy I have seen and have held up better than anything else. I don't think the any of the avian x stuff is worth the money when you can get dakotas for less just my opinion.

not to mention the Dakotas are a more durable decoy! they weigh a little more but its so worth it!

this will be my first season hunting over dakotas but from what I have seen so far from owning them is they are tough and they have great flocking and paint on them.. toughest paint I have ever seen on a decoy.
NRA and DU member, are you? if not you should be!

rabbitdundied wrote: I use my mojos in places I don't want birds to land.
2500hdon37s
hunter

Postby handyandy » Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:36 am

They do after hunting with my buddies a lot they are well worth the price when compared to other decoys of the same price I think are way better. I honestly don't know that I will ever buy any other kind of mallard or canada decoys now other than dakotas I personally think the avians are rip off for how much they cost and what you get friend of mine bought some of the canadian fb's at cabelas last year on clearance at the end of the season what he paid for them I though was fair but I would never pay full price for them. I think the canadian fb's are normally around 200 for 6 he paid like 120 so not to bad. I don't know what the mallards will cost they will probably be expensive.
Red neck engineering- If ya can't fix it with duck tape, bailing wire, zip ties, and JB weld well than it can't be fixed.

If it moves and it aint suppose to duck tape it. If doesn't move and its suppose to put WD-40 on it.
handyandy
hunter

Postby Bananapony607 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:06 pm

I was going to buy 3 dozen g&h magnum swivel decoys but afterreading about dakotas I decided to go with them I do hope they hold up as good as g&h they do look alot better
Bananapony607
hunter

Postby GA_DrakeAssassin » Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:20 am

I recently bought some of the Dakota mallard decoys. They are incredible. The most realistic looking decoys i have seen. They make my buddies decoys look like rubbish. They look like a real duck floating out there. Rogers has them for a great place. If your looking for decoys these are ticket. I will definitely be buying another dozen.
GA_DrakeAssassin
hunter

Postby WIDrakeKiller » Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:36 am

Probably gonna make some people mad but i was at cabelas and was looking at both. Took my finger and made a chip in a Dakota mallard floater. Was surprised b/c everyone says their so durable. Then i looked at some Avian X mallad floaters tried to scratch or chip em but simply couldn't do it. Also Dakota arnt really the best looking deke out their where as the avian x dekes look fantastic i gonna start buying Avian X mallard floated from what i saw.
WIDrakeKiller
hunter

Postby woodduck31 » Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:05 am

there are a lot of things that come into play when dealing with the paint durability of a decoy and much of that depends on the laborer who is doing the painting prep work. If you get an employee in the US or over in china or mexico who doesn't understand why they do what they do in the process, that process sometimes can be done in a less than thorough manner. That's why you can have one run of decoys that are bad and one run of decoys that are good. It's why you can have paint stick to the top half of a mallard's chest and flaking on the bottom half, the paint is all the same, the prep work was inconsistent. Because you were able to get paint to flake off of one decoy brand at Cabelas doesn't mean the next box you buy will not have problems. Many of the decoy companies are using the same manufacturers. I consistently get inquiries from chinese manufacturers wanting to produce our decoys, I also find many of the decoys I've designed for other companies being sold direct by various factories in china. I saw one today who shows some of the dakota lesser canada geese and their full body mallards, they make no mention of dakota, but the lesser canada goose full body in the mold is undeniably theirs. http://www.hiyang.net/images/20060421_003_2.jpg

http://www.hiyang.net/index.html

http://www.hiyang.net/prod01.html

It is extremely hard to hire laborers who understand why they do what we ask them to do, like labor overseas, they just aren't invested in the process, it's just a job. It doesn't make a lot of difference whether a decoy is made here in this country, mexico or china if the laborers don't understand their part in the process.
woodduck31
hunter

Postby TooTall » Fri Aug 24, 2012 8:17 am

Having worked in a decoy shop for the past few years, I can 100% agree with everything Mr. Mintz has said. He hit the nail right on the head. The decoys you buy are only going to be as good as the people who made them.

Most of the molds in those links look like the old Final Approach molds, but some are also definitely Dakotas.
Garrett Trentham
TooTall
hunter

Postby JuniorPre 360 » Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:22 am

woodduck31 wrote:there are a lot of things that come into play when dealing with the paint durability of a decoy and much of that depends on the laborer who is doing the painting prep work. If you get an employee in the US or over in china or mexico who doesn't understand why they do what they do in the process, that process sometimes can be done in a less than thorough manner. That's why you can have one run of decoys that are bad and one run of decoys that are good. It's why you can have paint stick to the top half of a mallard's chest and flaking on the bottom half, the paint is all the same, the prep work was inconsistent. Because you were able to get paint to flake off of one decoy brand at Cabelas doesn't mean the next box you buy will not have problems. Many of the decoy companies are using the same manufacturers. I consistently get inquiries from chinese manufacturers wanting to produce our decoys, I also find many of the decoys I've designed for other companies being sold direct by various factories in china. I saw one today who shows some of the dakota lesser canada geese and their full body mallards, they make no mention of dakota, but the lesser canada goose full body in the mold is undeniably theirs. http://www.hiyang.net/images/20060421_003_2.jpg

http://www.hiyang.net/index.html

http://www.hiyang.net/prod01.html

It is extremely hard to hire laborers who understand why they do what we ask them to do, like labor overseas, they just aren't invested in the process, it's just a job. It doesn't make a lot of difference whether a decoy is made here in this country, mexico or china if the laborers don't understand their part in the process.

Neat post! :thumbsup:
A BAD DAY AT THE MARSH BEATS A GOOD DAY AT WORK.
killwoodies101 wrote:your a dudshe bag! You dont own the river your dont own any property around it.. Its just as mush mine and any other tom **** and harry's as it is yours !! get a life share what is yours or stop hunting
JuniorPre 360
hunter

Postby woodduck31 » Fri Aug 24, 2012 3:50 pm

some of the full body mallards from the hiyang photos look very similar to the dakota full body mallards. The dakota full body mallards surely weren't designed by the same person who did their floater mallards, they don't have remotely similar design styles. The hiyang full body mallard decoys have the same droop tail on the feeder drakes as the dakotas and all of them lack the femoral tract of feathers behind the flanks like the dakotas. It's not uncommon to find chinese factories selling decoys that belong to another decoy company. The avian x mallards are some of the best sculptures I've seen, time will tell about their paint and durability. Zink Avian decoys are too new to make much of an assessment.
woodduck31
hunter

Postby quack wackr » Sat Aug 25, 2012 4:20 pm

a friend of mine has fully flocked dakota decoys, usued them all year last year and they lok like they went through a tornado, they are very hard to take care of, but they are awesome looking decoys when theyre new
quack wackr
hunter

Postby smcever » Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:22 am

Anyone wanna sell there avian x decoys? If you shoot me a good price ill take them off your hands?
smcever
hunter

Postby mudpack » Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:41 pm

Been using my Avian-X mallards this season, and I can tell you they are worth their price. MUCH better looking than the Dakotas, and MUCH better paint than the GHG PG's. Best of all worlds, so far.
Hold the Avian-X decoys in your hand and tell me they aren't a superior decoy. :thumbsup:
The much-vaunted Dakotas, in comparison, look like they were carved by someone who has never seen a live mallard.
mudpack
hunter

Postby rebelp74 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:11 pm

mudpack wrote:Been using my Avian-X mallards this season, and I can tell you they are worth their price. MUCH better looking than the Dakotas, and MUCH better paint than the GHG PG's. Best of all worlds, so far.
Hold the Avian-X decoys in your hand and tell me they aren't a superior decoy. :thumbsup:
The much-vaunted Dakotas, in comparison, look like they were carved by someone who has never seen a live mallard.

Last time I was at bass pro I picked looked at them. I played around with them and they are made out of a really soft plastic material. I squeazed one with little pressure and it folded up. They don't have anything on dakota drakes as far as looks go. You can't beat a flocked head if you are looking for realism. Durability doesn't seem like it hold up nowhere near dakota.
Indaswamp wrote:
jaysweet3 wrote:Looks a little small.

Dat's what She said....

Underradar wrote:We, the unsigned members of the HH, are not allowed to address such questions. But thank you for asking.
rebelp74
hunter

Postby WIDrakeKiller » Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:05 pm

Dakotas suck dont look as good eithier go look at some real ducks and you'll see what I mean.
WIDrakeKiller
hunter

Postby rebelp74 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:14 pm

WIDrakeKiller wrote:Dakotas suck dont look as good eithier go look at some real ducks and you'll see what I mean.

I got mallards in my duck pen. Not rouens, but domestic mallards. Dakotas take the take for realism with the drake. The hen not so much.
Indaswamp wrote:
jaysweet3 wrote:Looks a little small.

Dat's what She said....

Underradar wrote:We, the unsigned members of the HH, are not allowed to address such questions. But thank you for asking.
rebelp74
hunter

Postby JuniorPre 360 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:21 pm

mudpack wrote: The much-vaunted Dakotas, in comparison, look like they were carved by someone who has never seen a live mallard.

:huh: lol what?!?!
A BAD DAY AT THE MARSH BEATS A GOOD DAY AT WORK.
killwoodies101 wrote:your a dudshe bag! You dont own the river your dont own any property around it.. Its just as mush mine and any other tom **** and harry's as it is yours !! get a life share what is yours or stop hunting
JuniorPre 360
hunter

Postby mudpack » Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:31 pm

A realistic decoy requires more than flocking on the head. There is proportion, shape, attitude/positioning, accurate paint schemes, realistic colors, etc. The Avian-X mallards are FAR superior to Dakotas in these respects.
Folded up the decoy with a little hand pressure? I have Avian-X decoys. You may have flexed the sides a little...I've done that...but you would have to stand on one to "fold it up", and probably not even then.
I've seen the Dakota's; I was not impressed. I've carved several hundred decoys, I know what a mallard looks like, I've studied them. Avian-X's look like mallards in almost every way, Dakota's not so much.
The difference is that Avian-X looks like mallards, whereas Dakota's look like mallard decoys.

That's my opinion, your's may differ....and the bottom line is that ducks probably won't know the difference. But I do.
mudpack
hunter

Postby AceBrian » Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:05 pm

I purchased these decoys about 2 weeks ago and have used them about 6-7 times. The Hens are great.... look very real and the paint is holding up very well. The Drake's are a different story.... the paint is chipping away pretty bad already. From 20 yards out i can see were the paint is chipping off. Makes sense what another person posted about its the person doing the work is inconsistant.

Perhaps i'll try to contact the company and see what they say. I put a lot of value in a companies customer service... if they blow ya off and don't make things right then thier product isn't worth buying.
AceBrian
Newb

Postby AceBrian » Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:07 am

AceBrian wrote:I purchased these decoys about 2 weeks ago and have used them about 6-7 times. The Hens are great.... look very real and the paint is holding up very well. The Drake's are a different story.... the paint is chipping away pretty bad already. From 20 yards out i can see were the paint is chipping off. Makes sense what another person posted about its the person doing the work is inconsistant.

Perhaps i'll try to contact the company and see what they say. I put a lot of value in a companies customer service... if they blow ya off and don't make things right then thier product isn't worth buying.

I contacted the company (Zink Calls) and have to say their customer service is TOP NOTCH! Dawn Zink responded to my emails within HOURS. I sent her pics of the decoys and she's sending me replacements.... no questions asked! Like i said, i place a lot of value in a companies customer service and they get an A+++. Everyone is going to run into a bad batch of decoys sooner or later, whichever brand you buy.

If the replacements hold up, i'll definitely be buying more from them.
AceBrian
Newb

Postby rookie20011 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:42 pm

We hunt over both Avian and Dakota's and 99% of the time we just through our Dakotas. Dakotas swim so much better!!!!!!!! Looks are just AMAZING!
rookie20011
hunter

Return to Duck Decoy Forum