Rubber stretchy thing for Decoy weights GHG ETC

Share tips and ask questions on all types of duck decoys. Including working, classics, collectable, and carving decoys.

Moderators: HENDU3270, DUKHTR, fowlhunter, Remman

Rubber stretchy thing for Decoy weights GHG ETC

Postby UmatillaJeff » Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:07 pm

Does anybody have a good DIY replacement for the GHG stretch rubber jobs for the L/ kEEL GRABBER WEIGHTS weights? I have had mixed results with mine and am re-rigging the better part of 100 doz decoys. Any ideas would appreciated. A source perhaps of a diffrent ready made rubber product that is stronger then the GHG article. Thnaks
Duck hunters chat.. a place where people who never shoot past 40 yards explain how to do it better to the guys who do it all the time.
UmatillaJeff
hunter
 
Posts: 578
Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:12 pm


Re: Rubber stretchy thing for Decoy weights GHG ETC

Postby 2500hdon37s » Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:14 am

just texas rig them unless they are 8ft + lines on them.

otherwise find a roll of elastic/ bungee rope
NRA and DU member, are you? if not you should be!

rabbitdundied wrote: I use my mojos in places I don't want birds to land.
User avatar
2500hdon37s
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 3230
Joined: Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:32 pm
Location: sittin high in the Missouri skies!

Re: Rubber stretchy thing for Decoy weights GHG ETC

Postby klee7013 » Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:28 am

shock cord. it is like a bungee cord
only used it a year but look in the search and see if you can get any more reviews on it

Had good luck with it so far.
User avatar
klee7013
hunter
 
Posts: 307
Joined: Mon Feb 07, 2011 3:40 pm
Location: South Cackalacky

Re: Rubber stretchy thing for Decoy weights GHG ETC

Postby imboray » Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:09 am

Buy a bicycle intertube and cut into 1" loops. Tie it on down by the weight. Been doing it for years. its super cheap & you can get 100+ loops out of one intertube. Be careful not to cut the loops too skinny & dont buy the intertube with the green slime in them.
Attachments
keel grabber 2[1].JPG
imboray
hunter
 
Posts: 459
Joined: Sun Feb 28, 2010 7:44 pm

Re: Rubber stretchy thing for Decoy weights GHG ETC

Postby flight control » Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:57 pm

I use bungee chord with SS hogrigns as fasteners. Super fast and works great.
When I die I hope its in a duck blind, that, or shot in the back climbing out of a jealous mans bedroom window.

Team wrecked 'em
Tim Hortons pro staff
User avatar
flight control
hunter
 
Posts: 717
Joined: Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:13 pm
Location: The great white north

Re: Rubber stretchy thing for Decoy weights GHG ETC

Postby Winger. » Sat Sep 01, 2012 2:02 pm

Good idea imboray thanks for sharing, I like that you can use it with any shape/size of weight. I'll be trying it out on the old mushroom weights I've got lying around!
Evil prevails when good men fail to act.
User avatar
Winger.
hunter
 
Posts: 17
Joined: Sat Sep 01, 2012 1:32 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, PA

Re: Rubber stretchy thing for Decoy weights GHG ETC

Postby Frank Lopez » Sat Sep 01, 2012 3:43 pm

I've found the ones by GHG to be quite satisfactory, once you adopt a couple of tricks. First, like most things, they are prone to breaking at the most inopportune time, resulting in a lost anchor or worse, a lost decoy, or both. If you look at them, they tend to break at the loops. What I do is to tie one end the decoy line to the end of the stretchee in the normal way, but leave a long bitter end. About 3 times as long as the stretchee itself. Then take that end and tie it to your weight. That way, if the stretchee breaks, it'll still be attached to the weight and the block.

Once you have a broken stretchee, don't throw it away. Like I said, they tend to break a the loops. If it breaks at the loop on the anchor end, get a piece of decoy chord and tie a loop in the end. Now, with the remainder, tie the looped end to the stretchee using a nail not, similar to tying a leader to a fly line. If the stretchee breaks on the line end, do the same thing, just leave a long length of line to connect to the anchor.

By the way, I make my anchors by pouring lead into muffin tins with a copper wire loop just big enough to fit over the nose of the decoy's keel.

Frank
I feel slightly sorry for a man who has never patterned his gun, who has no idea how far his chosen load will retain killing penetration. But I'm extremely sorry for the ducks he shoots at beyond the killing range of his gun and load - Bob Brister
User avatar
Frank Lopez
hunter
 
Posts: 2995
Joined: Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:34 pm
Location: Long Island New York

Re: Rubber stretchy thing for Decoy weights GHG ETC

Postby duckbuster06 » Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:50 am

Frank Lopez wrote:I've found the ones by GHG to be quite satisfactory, once you adopt a couple of tricks. First, like most things, they are prone to breaking at the most inopportune time, resulting in a lost anchor or worse, a lost decoy, or both. If you look at them, they tend to break at the loops. What I do is to tie one end the decoy line to the end of the stretchee in the normal way, but leave a long bitter end. About 3 times as long as the stretchee itself. Then take that end and tie it to your weight. That way, if the stretchee breaks, it'll still be attached to the weight and the block.

Once you have a broken stretchee, don't throw it away. Like I said, they tend to break a the loops. If it breaks at the loop on the anchor end, get a piece of decoy chord and tie a loop in the end. Now, with the remainder, tie the looped end to the stretchee using a nail not, similar to tying a leader to a fly line. If the stretchee breaks on the line end, do the same thing, just leave a long length of line to connect to the anchor.

By the way, I make my anchors by pouring lead into muffin tins with a copper wire loop just big enough to fit over the nose of the decoy's keel.

Frank


That is a heckuva an answer, although I'm not sure how much it actually addresses the OP's question. :huh:
User avatar
duckbuster06
Forum & State Moderator
 
Posts: 1688
Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2006 6:33 pm
Location: Western KY

Re: Rubber stretchy thing for Decoy weights GHG ETC

Postby imboray » Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:17 am

Winger. wrote:Good idea imboray thanks for sharing, I like that you can use it with any shape/size of weight. I'll be trying it out on the old mushroom weights I've got lying around!


We use them w/ 3 & 4 lb. muffin pan weights & have no issues. Super cheap too.
imboray
hunter
 
Posts: 459
Joined: Sun Feb 28, 2010 7:44 pm

Re: Rubber stretchy thing for Decoy weights GHG ETC

Postby Frank Lopez » Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:23 pm

duckbuster06 wrote:
Frank Lopez wrote:I've found the ones by GHG to be quite satisfactory, once you adopt a couple of tricks. First, like most things, they are prone to breaking at the most inopportune time, resulting in a lost anchor or worse, a lost decoy, or both. If you look at them, they tend to break at the loops. What I do is to tie one end the decoy line to the end of the stretchee in the normal way, but leave a long bitter end. About 3 times as long as the stretchee itself. Then take that end and tie it to your weight. That way, if the stretchee breaks, it'll still be attached to the weight and the block.

Once you have a broken stretchee, don't throw it away. Like I said, they tend to break a the loops. If it breaks at the loop on the anchor end, get a piece of decoy chord and tie a loop in the end. Now, with the remainder, tie the looped end to the stretchee using a nail not, similar to tying a leader to a fly line. If the stretchee breaks on the line end, do the same thing, just leave a long length of line to connect to the anchor.

By the way, I make my anchors by pouring lead into muffin tins with a copper wire loop just big enough to fit over the nose of the decoy's keel.

Frank


That is a heckuva an answer, although I'm not sure how much it actually addresses the OP's question. :huh:



He asked for a replacement for stretchee chords. The point is that you dont have to replace them. Just tie a nail not on them and refit them.

Frank
I feel slightly sorry for a man who has never patterned his gun, who has no idea how far his chosen load will retain killing penetration. But I'm extremely sorry for the ducks he shoots at beyond the killing range of his gun and load - Bob Brister
User avatar
Frank Lopez
hunter
 
Posts: 2995
Joined: Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:34 pm
Location: Long Island New York

Re: Rubber stretchy thing for Decoy weights GHG ETC

Postby m.teeter » Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:02 am

imboray wrote:Buy a bicycle intertube and cut into 1" loops. Tie it on down by the weight. Been doing it for years. its super cheap & you can get 100+ loops out of one intertube. Be careful not to cut the loops too skinny & dont buy the intertube with the green slime in them.


I saw this, went out and bought a tube and did some of my goose floaters. Works great, rigged half a dozen in about 5 minutes. Thanks for sharing this, i will be putting them on all of my dekes that dont have the J weights and wont be buying anymore of those expensive things again.
m.teeter
hunter
 
Posts: 452
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:49 am
Location: Salisbury, NC

Re: Rubber stretchy thing for Decoy weights GHG ETC

Postby WingsCupped&FeetDown » Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:08 pm

Try this out for your bungee.

http://sgtknots.com/shock_cord.aspx

Wings
Friends don't let Friends skybust

Amendment II
A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
User avatar
WingsCupped&FeetDown
hunter
 
Posts: 459
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2008 4:02 pm
Location: Western Washington / South Puget Sound

Re: Rubber stretchy thing for Decoy weights GHG ETC

Postby FowlOffspring » Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:47 am

WingsCupped&FeetDown wrote:Try this out for your bungee.

http://sgtknots.com/shock_cord.aspx

Wings

Have you used that stuff for bungees? If so, how does it hold up? I want to convert my decoys over and I made an aluminum J weight mold but I dont know if I want to buy the GHG bungees yet or not.
FowlOffspring
hunter
 
Posts: 370
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:26 pm
Location: St.Helens Oregon

Re: Rubber stretchy thing for Decoy weights GHG ETC

Postby muskyduck » Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:26 am

if you are going to use that set up, just buy the replacement cords GHG sells. They are like $5 a dozen. That is nothing. Plus these have a silicone base so they don't have a memory, and won't weather or crack like rubber. Trust me, if you try and cut corners with them, it'll catch up to you and cost even more.
User avatar
muskyduck
hunter
 
Posts: 403
Joined: Sun Apr 01, 2012 11:54 am

Re: Rubber stretchy thing for Decoy weights GHG ETC

Postby WingsCupped&FeetDown » Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:44 pm

FowlOffspring wrote:
WingsCupped&FeetDown wrote:Try this out for your bungee.

http://sgtknots.com/shock_cord.aspx

Wings

Have you used that stuff for bungees? If so, how does it hold up? I want to convert my decoys over and I made an aluminum J weight mold but I dont know if I want to buy the GHG bungees yet or not.


I have used that bungee from sgtknotts. It holds up well to saltwater, cold, and use. It is also wrapped in a "rope" sheath so if the rubber does give, the sheath holds.

The problem I've always had with the GHG breaking is by the little loop.
Friends don't let Friends skybust

Amendment II
A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
User avatar
WingsCupped&FeetDown
hunter
 
Posts: 459
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2008 4:02 pm
Location: Western Washington / South Puget Sound

Re: Rubber stretchy thing for Decoy weights GHG ETC

Postby FowlOffspring » Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:44 pm

How long have you been using them?
FowlOffspring
hunter
 
Posts: 370
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:26 pm
Location: St.Helens Oregon

Re: Rubber stretchy thing for Decoy weights GHG ETC

Postby OKChessieMan » Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:14 pm

I've used 1/8" stretchy paracord. I am ordering more, but will get a bigger diameter. I use decoy cord crimps to make my loop ends to secure to weight and line.

Ordered it in olive drab off of ebay for pretty cheap.
User avatar
OKChessieMan
hunter
 
Posts: 64
Joined: Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:18 pm
Location: Coweta, OK

Re: Rubber stretchy thing for Decoy weights GHG ETC

Postby Thatdudewhoduckhunts » Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:22 pm

OKChessieMan wrote:I've used 1/8" stretchy paracord. I am ordering more, but will get a bigger diameter. My little brother rigged them using decoy cord crimps to make my loop ends to secure to weight and line.

Ordered it in olive drab off of ebay for pretty cheap.
clampdaddy wrote:I can't speak for God but I'm pretty sure that the killing of babies would probably be near the top of his list of things you shouldn't do.
Thatdudewhoduckhunts
Account Suspended for Personal Attacks
 
Posts: 2336
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 12:58 pm

Re: Rubber stretchy thing for Decoy weights GHG ETC

Postby WSUWESTON » Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:29 am

4 Seasons using my bungee cord and it is still in great shape. Using 1/8"
WSUWESTON
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 791
Joined: Thu Oct 02, 2008 1:24 pm
Location: WASHINGTON

Re: Rubber stretchy thing for Decoy weights GHG ETC

Postby WIDrakeKiller » Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:07 am

I love stretchies but texas rig
WIDrakeKiller
hunter
 
Posts: 433
Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:34 pm

Re: Rubber stretchy thing for Decoy weights GHG ETC

Postby LanceM » Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:51 pm

I've found shock cord to be the cheapest replacement
LanceM
hunter
 
Posts: 23
Joined: Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:58 pm


Return to Duck Decoy Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Jeremy66 and 6 guests