"GOOD DECOYS"

Share tips and ask questions on all types of duck decoys. Including working, classics, collectable, and carving decoys.

Moderators: HENDU3270, fowlhunter, Remman, DUKHTR

"GOOD DECOYS"

Postby berettaman » Sat Dec 20, 2003 9:54 pm

Alright, what have people been using that holds up well. I am just wrapping up a season with some carrylights on small water and for a big water spread involving 30 or more, I use the xps mag's (aka. paint peeling P.O.S.). I am actually thinking of spending a little extra to get into the herters....anybody have any thoughts on the 63's and 72's? We really only see mallards, blackies, teal and woodies with a few mixed buffeheads and the herters seem to look good in all of these.
berettaman
hunter

Postby quackerkiller » Sun Dec 21, 2003 12:37 pm

if you want something to last go with the herters burlaps in the 72's for mallards and the others liek buffs go with the 63's they hold up a long time
Lynch Mob Calls Pro-Staff
Out For Blood
quackerkiller
Forum & State Moderator

Postby h2ofwlr » Mon Dec 22, 2003 1:57 am

From my experience the G&H line for Ducks decoys is quite good in quality. Their paint is great, and its adhesion is excellent-(no peeling at all). I've been very happy with their products over many years of use--unlike other brands.
The Audacity of Bull Crap.
"Typical: Gun-loving, bitter bible-thumping white person" Barack Obama.
Hey I resemble that comment!!! Those are FIGHTING WORDS!!!
h2ofwlr
Forum & State Moderator

Postby DUKHTR » Mon Dec 22, 2003 8:04 am

Cork! I also am using the armor coated herters in BlackDuck. No need for repainting, even when used in salt water.

Qualkiller is right - the burlaps will last forever too!
DUKHTR
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Steelheader » Tue Dec 23, 2003 11:56 am

I like the Herters I have. I have some 72's in Mallard and Wigeon, and some mallard sucdux. they take a bit of a beating but still look good even with the dents. i just bought some of the new GHG full size mallards and teal man do they look good. One of my buddies uses G&H and they hold up really nice but are pricey.
Dam should have taken them on the last pass.
Steelheader
hunter

Postby Str8Meat » Tue Dec 30, 2003 8:52 pm

Take a look at the G&H decoys. Great paint job and durable.
Mallards
Grey duck
Woodies
CAMO UP, CALL EM IN, CUT EM ALL
Str8Meat
hunter

G&H are the best

Postby Live to Hunt & Fish » Sun Mar 28, 2004 10:53 pm

My dad has had 2 dozen g&h mallard decoys for about 7 or 8 years. I started duck hunting about 2 years ago. I have called ina mallards , teal , mergansers , ringnecks , pintails and a few other ducks. The paint has no peeling and they look great. I use large nuts and bolts for weights because i didn't want to spend the money on weights. So the decoys take a beating from them all the time. Even through the beating and the years they still look great. G&H camr out with the swivel heads and that would add even that much more realism to your spread. G&H are in my opinion the best.[/b]
Live to Hunt & Fish
hunter

"GOOD DECOYS"

Postby Duckhunter16 » Sat Jun 19, 2004 7:48 pm

I have about 2 dozen carylights that are about oh 10 or 12 years old and they are still bringing in the duck .
IF IT FLIES IT DIES

I am a member of peta
People Eating Tasty Animals
Duckhunter16
hunter

Postby JTduckhunter » Sat Jun 19, 2004 9:24 pm

alright ive used them all form flams to carrylites. The two i have used that seem to look the best and hold up better than any others are G&H and GHG (despite the bad experiences of some) these two companies make a realistic paint lasting decoy from my experience and i would go with either one but prolly GHG more so because of the great detail and price of them.
JTduckhunter
Newb

Postby mallardhunter » Sun Jun 20, 2004 8:16 pm

My flambeau decoys work just fine for me. :thumbsup:
mallardhunter
hunter

Postby pj » Mon Jun 21, 2004 4:57 pm

G&H and Bigfoots.
For every tear a smile.
pj
hunter

Postby Mallyard » Mon Jun 21, 2004 5:45 pm

I go for Greenhead Gear.....
Aim for their lips...
Mallyard
Forum & State Moderator

Postby walker870 » Mon Jun 21, 2004 7:57 pm

I have used just about every kind of decoy maded over the years, I like the Herters Burlap 72's but you still will need to paint them if you use them alot. I have been changing over to the G&H's, they need no painting.I have used three dozen Mallard decoys for five years, look like new. Their Diver Decoys are bigger than the Herter's model 72's they look better in the water. Problem with Herter's only place you can buy them is at Caleba's, they now own the company. You can find G&H decoys at alot of places. They have good deals on them if you do your homework. Walker
walker870
Newb

Postby texan68 » Sun Aug 22, 2004 8:22 pm

For a good, strong, steady, fairly priced decoy I would have to go with greenhead gear, but for a good inexpensive decoy carrylite sure holds up. What ever you choose don't go with flambou, the paint starts to chip after only a few walk in hunts.
texan68
hunter

Return to Duck Decoy Forum