Mallard decoys for Megenzers and Woodies

Share tips and ask questions on all types of duck decoys. Including working, classics, collectable, and carving decoys.

Moderators: HENDU3270, Remman, DUKHTR, fowlhunter

Mallard decoys for Megenzers and Woodies

Postby mgoldschmidt » Sat Nov 27, 2004 12:46 pm

All I have are mallard decoys. Is it worth my time to put them out for Woodies and Maganzers? I hunt in the Florida area- WMG areas, and I plan to hunt in the St. Johns area. I have experience in the Tennesse area, and I hunt with a buddy that has all the "proper" gear for mallard. I have only gone a few times in my area- and have killed many of magezers. Some say you cant eat them, but I like fish and duck- so why not- as long as I have a good recipe. Have you all eaten any? What is your best recipe?

Also, on the lines of calling- I have a woodie caller, as well as a mallard caller- is there a caller that might work for both?

Basically, I want to kill ducks with the gear I have.

Im sorta a newby- Ill be honest.
You can reply direct to my email if you wish - mgoldschmidt@yahoo.com
or you can even take me with you on your next hunt....
mgoldschmidt
hunter

Postby quackkiller » Sat Nov 27, 2004 12:53 pm

I had woodies and hooded mergansers tryin to land in my dekes this morning and they are all mallards and a few GW teal. I've never had a merganser before so I couldn't tell you. I just use a mallard call and they still come in.
quackkiller
hunter

thanks

Postby mgoldschmidt » Sat Nov 27, 2004 12:55 pm

quackkiller wrote:I had woodies and hooded mergansers tryin to land in my dekes this morning and they are all mallards and a few GW teal. I've never had a merganser before so I couldn't tell you. I just use a mallard call and they still come in.

Ill just keep doing what Iv been doing.

Ill take as much suggestion as possible.
mgoldschmidt
hunter

Postby twoscoots » Sat Nov 27, 2004 4:17 pm

try to set up for woodies where they want to land!!!!! They are some of the easiest and yet hardest birds to get to land in your blocks......if your where they want to set down ..GREAT, if your 60 yards away...your out of luck! These ducks do what they want when they want and no spread, no amount of calling is going to change their mind. I have had them throw water on me when landing in a swamp run, and I have had them pitch a tent and throw a party 70 yards out ...pulling every bird around to them. The easiest way to get your bird is to do some scouting ahead of time (2-3 days ) and find out when and where they are setting down for breakfast! g'luck 2scoots :thumbsup:
II want to be in PETA ....people eating tasty animals, pass the gravy please!
twoscoots
hunter

Return to Duck Decoy Forum