GHG pro-grade FB Mallard Review

Share tips and ask questions on all types of duck decoys. Including working, classics, collectable, and carving decoys.

Moderators: HENDU3270, DUKHTR, fowlhunter, Remman

GHG pro-grade FB Mallard Review

Postby Mallyard » Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:13 pm

I bought a dozen of the New GHG prograde FB mallards this week.
All I can say is wow.
They look VERY good. I can't attest to durability as they havn't seen the field yet. But as far as looks they are dead on.
We'll see if they hold up better than my GHG duck floaters. If so, I'll be buying more.
One draw back is they don't come with stands, just stakes.
Just thought I'd share my experience so far, maybe help someone make a decison. :beer:
Aim for their lips...
Mallyard
Forum & State Moderator

Re: GHG pro-grade FB Mallard Review

Postby FowlOffspring » Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:46 pm

I'm kind of on the fence whether to buy full bodies or shells.I like the price of the shells but i would rather have full bodies.Have you ever used GHG shells?
FowlOffspring
hunter

Postby Mallyard » Fri Oct 19, 2012 1:05 pm

Yes i have,
The shells are junk.
The plastic is to thin and where the head goes in they crack. Bought 2 dozen last summer, and had probably 6 crack the first season.. Had some paint issues too... FLAKES came off.
These decoys however seem to be of better quality.
Aim for their lips...
Mallyard
Forum & State Moderator

Postby KillerKowalski » Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:56 pm

I disagree about the shells. I own six dozen and love them. They are actual full bodies cut down 5/8s. So, I'm not sure why the quality would be any different. Reed's has them for $103 right now and if you buy four packs of any decoys you get another 10% off. I love the quality of them.
KillerKowalski
hunter

Postby Mallyard » Sat Oct 20, 2012 2:29 pm

glad you've had better luck than me.
The plastic on the ones I got was paper thin... Maybe I just got a bad batch idk.
Aim for their lips...
Mallyard
Forum & State Moderator

Postby 2500hdon37s » Sat Oct 20, 2012 3:46 pm

do they still have the same 'ole GHG motion system where you just drop them on the stand?
NRA and DU member, are you? if not you should be!

rabbitdundied wrote: I use my mojos in places I don't want birds to land.
2500hdon37s
Forum Moderator

Postby KillerKowalski » Sat Oct 20, 2012 11:01 pm

Yea. Same stakes with the hole drilled in the top of the body. It seems that the springs on the stakes have changed since last year. The springs are glued onto the stake now. My last dozen from last year has a knotch at the bottom of the spring to keep it attached to the stake. Never worked after it got below freezing tempertures. Hopefully the new designed holds better.

Not sure if you are all looking for field mallards, but I recently purchased some Deadly Decoy mallards. I am impressed for the price! I managed to squeeze in six dozen of those until the retailer cannot get anymore from Deadly. The word that I got was the Deadly is selling more than expected this year and hard to keep retailers stocked.
KillerKowalski
hunter

Postby KillerKowalski » Sat Oct 20, 2012 11:07 pm

Mallyard wrote:glad you've had better luck than me.
The plastic on the ones I got was paper thin... Maybe I just got a bad batch idk.

Maybe. Call or contact Avery on the their forum. They should not be paper this by any means. The thickness is just like a full body. If you purchased them at Cabelas, they will take them back without a receipt for store credit.
KillerKowalski
hunter

Postby gooshnr » Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:05 am

I saw the new GHG FB mallards first-hand recently and was impressed as well. The motion cone looks to be a little longer and made of thicker material than the original motion cone. The stakes look the same so I don't see any reason the older stands wouldn't work with them. I don't field hunt much for ducks but I'm thinking a dozen of these around a pond edge or in a field with sheet water (if it ever rains again) would look real nice.
gooshnr
hunter

Postby Mallyard » Sun Oct 21, 2012 9:20 am

Called Avery,
I bought the decoys from a guy that won them at a DU banquet or something. No recipt, not refund.
Aim for their lips...
Mallyard
Forum & State Moderator

Postby KillerKowalski » Sun Oct 21, 2012 12:20 pm

I am shocked they wouldn't exchange them at least. If you are willing to ship and send me pictures, I might take them of your hands depending on the quality of them.
KillerKowalski
hunter

Postby Mallyard » Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:17 pm

I sold the 2 dozen for 100 bucks to a fella locally this summer. He did some repairs on them and repainted them. I hope they last better for him.
Aim for their lips...
Mallyard
Forum & State Moderator

Postby FowlOffspring » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:52 am

I got a dozen GHG full bodied duck decoys for christmas and the one piece system is awesome and they look absolutely amazing. They make hunting in shallow water situations SO MUCH easier and the birds really, really like them. :yes:
FowlOffspring
hunter

Return to Duck Decoy Forum