GHG Decoys

Share tips and ask questions on all types of duck decoys. Including working, classics, collectable, and carving decoys.

Moderators: HENDU3270, Remman, DUKHTR, fowlhunter

GHG Decoys

Postby Musselman » Sun Nov 28, 2004 11:55 am

I just bought a dozen ghg decoys and i love how they look but a few are loosing their paint already and i have been out 3 times since i got them. Has any one dealt with GHG serive department and could tell me what they did or how they helped you our and has any one else had problems with their product.
Musselman
hunter

Postby quackerkiller » Sun Nov 28, 2004 12:21 pm

i have heard they have decent service but i had some problem with avery which is the same people. And the reason the paint is falling off is because they are cheap and you get what youay for.
Lynch Mob Calls Pro-Staff
Out For Blood
quackerkiller
Forum & State Moderator

Postby HUMBOLDT HUNTER » Sun Nov 28, 2004 7:05 pm

I love my GHG decoys ive used them for two seasons so far and I dont have a problem with paint chipping off of them, nor has any of my friends, we have probably 3 dozen between us and we all love them. I dont know why people bad mouth them all the time because people say theyre cheap but what ever. My opinion is that flambues just plain suck and I dont think G&H are that great either people talk about them being the best and paint never chips off on them, I would say thats because they hardly come with any paint on them and they just look dull and bland. My favorite decoys are Herters and GHG. Theese are just my opinions though.
HUMBOLDT HUNTER
hunter

Postby greenheader » Sun Nov 28, 2004 7:14 pm

One of my GHG oversize goose shell swas cracked and I sent it back to Avery and they sent me a new one free, but it took me about 2.5 months to get it back. I just bought six oversized GHG mallards for $35.
greenheader
hunter

Postby quackkiller » Sun Nov 28, 2004 9:02 pm

Went to Buck& Bass today with my girlfriend, she got me an early christmas present. Some GHG lifesize mallards. I checked all of them out and they look great. No paint chipping. the only problems I've had With GHG dekes are some of my GWteal dekes have paint chipping off the bill but I ain't worried about. You can't hardly tell and a little flat black paint will fix that problem. Can't wait to put my new mallards to use this weekend!
quackkiller
hunter

Postby ks_waterfowler » Sun Nov 28, 2004 10:32 pm

Humboldt Hunter,

G&H are the only decoys that we are still gunning over 20 years after they were sold. We found some of my buddies dad's old decoys in their shed and they are in his decoy bag today. I agree the new G&H do look bad, but I'll take any decoy that I can hunt over for the rest of my lifetime without paint problems. DO you think that the GHG will make it 30 years? Another friend has had some for 5 years that still look like the day they came out of the box even though they spend 4-6 days a week in the field.

I own GHG mallard decoys, and yeah they look good, but how bout 5-10 years down the road? Quick fixes that last 5 years or so are nice, but with my G&H dekes I will probably never have to buy any paint or replacement decoys in my life.

I am not out to bad mouth GHG as they make good products. I am jsut telling you that my expereince with G&H is that they are the last decoy you will ever need to buy.
whistlin_wings wrote:I grew up in a neighborhood with only 3 pools and a public golf course. Thug life is all I know.
ks_waterfowler
hunter

Postby HUMBOLDT HUNTER » Mon Nov 29, 2004 1:17 pm

ks_waterfowler,

I am completely sure that I could still shoot over my GHG decoys 30 years down the road, without paint problems? probably not. But that is not the point I am trying to make, my point is in 30 years I will be in my 50's, even if I had all G&H decoys and kept them for 30 years I still would buy new ones that actually look decent (GHG) every 3 or 4 years. I have seen G&H decoys that were over 5 years old and they still looked like they were weathered and beat down and thats what I think they look like when they are new (weatherd, beat down and not the greatest paint on them to begin with). So I would have to say that in 30 years I will have new decoys that look good right out of the box instead of 30 year old ones that dont look that great. I am not trying to bring you or your opinions down about G&H but that is not my choice of decoys at all.
HUMBOLDT HUNTER
hunter

Postby ks_waterfowler » Mon Nov 29, 2004 2:39 pm

Fair enough. Sorry if I came off as kinds of an ***. I am really a nice guy if you get to know me.

Friends? :salude:
whistlin_wings wrote:I grew up in a neighborhood with only 3 pools and a public golf course. Thug life is all I know.
ks_waterfowler
hunter

Postby 98ramtough » Mon Nov 29, 2004 3:29 pm

I kind of agree with both sides here. I do not like spending tons of money each season so I "add" to my spread each year. It is nice to have decoys that are still usable after 5-10 years. So if I buy one dozen new every year, by the time I am an old fart I will have like 12 dozen magnum decoys.....

just my thought.

Mike
Quack
98ramtough
hunter

Postby HUMBOLDT HUNTER » Mon Nov 29, 2004 5:40 pm

Hey no hard feelings at all, different strokes for different fokes :salude:
HUMBOLDT HUNTER
hunter

Postby texan68 » Sun Dec 05, 2004 10:29 pm

ks waterfowler- why do you think the new g&h look bad, mine sure seem to bring ducks in. Think like a duck that is flying 20-30 miles an hour 50 yards obove a spread. All its gonna see is a few specks on the water.
texan68
hunter

Postby ks_waterfowler » Sun Dec 05, 2004 11:28 pm

I like the older g&h from a couple years ago. I think the feather detailing looks kinda crappy on new ones. I am all for G&H decoys though. Really like the swivel heads with different head positions.
ks_waterfowler
hunter

Postby HUMBOLDT HUNTER » Mon Dec 06, 2004 12:49 pm

You ever try the Herters Burlaps? They look really nice.
HUMBOLDT HUNTER
hunter

Postby ks_waterfowler » Mon Dec 06, 2004 2:24 pm

actually gonna make my own burlaps. Guy I hunt with who is also a member here makes them. You can make them for next to nothing until it is time to paint.
ks_waterfowler
hunter

Postby texan68 » Mon Dec 06, 2004 5:24 pm

I would but man are they expensive$$$$$$$$$$$$
texan68
hunter

Postby AK Ducks » Thu Dec 09, 2004 1:31 pm

I use gHg decoys They look great :thumbsup: but I have noticed on some that the paint chips off but they're cheap and look great so I think there worth it
thanks to the men and woman of the United States Coast Guard- without them I would not be here.
AK Ducks
hunter

Return to Duck Decoy Forum