Higdon Pulsator???

Share tips and ask questions on all types of duck decoys. Including working, classics, collectable, and carving decoys.

Moderators: HENDU3270, Remman, DUKHTR, fowlhunter

Higdon Pulsator???

Postby Blackfoot down » Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:47 pm

Does anyone have a Higdon Pulsator that they have used for a while? I am considering buying one for those flat wind days, but I haven't seen one in action, except YouTube... Are they worth buying? Do they last? And most important, do they help put enough ripple out without flaring birds?!?!? Are they noisy???? Etc..... Any opinions apreciated...
Blackfoot down
Marshfield, MO
Blackfoot down
hunter

Re: Higdon Pulsator???

Postby 2500hdon37s » Fri Nov 23, 2012 11:31 am

just grab a quiver butt or two. produces a good bit of wake (enouogh to bob other decoys some) cheaper and easier to set up.
NRA and DU member, are you? if not you should be!

rabbitdundied wrote: I use my mojos in places I don't want birds to land.
2500hdon37s
Forum Moderator

Postby Blackfoot down » Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:16 pm

I have used H2O quiver magnets and had a quiver butt. They just don't seem to put out much ripple or last more than a season! I love the quiver magnets, but I couldn't find any at Bass Pro this year. They probably have them online, but when you only live 20 minutes away... oh, well... I better go re-string my jerk cord again, it got up and tangled so I just cut it off... Thanks for the thoughts!
Blackfoot down
Marshfield, MO
Blackfoot down
hunter

Postby super90 » Sun Nov 25, 2012 6:54 pm

I have had one for three or four years. It is very well built and has worked equally well. Yes you can make one yourself but it would take a lot of extra effort to put it together as well as this one comes from the factory. It puts out far more motion than a quiver magnet. I would buy a refurbished one from them for $99 (last I checked)
super90
hunter

Postby imboray » Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:06 am

we run 4 or 5 in our spread on calm days, with a few modifications. We turn the pumps backwards & turn the spouts down. We do this for a couple reasons:
1. It gets rid of the bubble plume, which I think looks unnatural
2. It gives a more realistic look like a duck is feeding & the spouts kinda look lik a head coming out of the water, until it kicks on again.
3. If hunting in shallow enough water it stirs mud up on the bottom

Ill concede that its does create less ripple on the water, but you still get enough movement and ripple to justify it, plus it adds some realism. the decoy moves in a bigger radius this way and moves more, you just dont have the big bubbles. Try it out
imboray
hunter

Postby Blackfoot down » Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:09 pm

imboray,
That sounds like a good suggestion. Thanks! I mostly hunt small farm ponds and ocassionally hit the lake or a conservation area, but I kind of prefer the solitude of farm pond hunts. I have been looking for a good river pool for some time as well, but the rivers are an hour away! It is really awesome when a fellow hunter gives good advice instead of a smart mouth response that helps no one! I think turning the spout down to kick up some mud in the water is a great idea. I am picking up some bilge pumps to build some pulsators tomorrow. I'll try one with the tube down to give it a test!
Blackfoot down
Marshfield, MO
Blackfoot down
hunter

Postby Blackfoot down » Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:31 pm

Thanks to everyone for the input! I did a search and found plans to make one. I bought the stuff today and have the marine adhesive drying on the first parts right now. The thing is rediculously simple to build. I only spent about $60 bucks for parts that I didn't have lying around, like a bilge pump... I already had a Redhead Feeder butt, wire, crimpers, and shrink wrap...

PS- My wife thinks I am nutts for playing with my duck butt...
Last edited by Blackfoot down on Sat Dec 01, 2012 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blackfoot down
Marshfield, MO
Blackfoot down
hunter

Postby Blackfoot down » Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:41 pm

Here is a picture of the project so far... I need to paint it after the sealant dries, rig my wiring to a 12V battery and make a dry box for it and the thermal flasher...
Attachments
100_3977 (800x594).jpg
Duck Butt with bilge pump
Blackfoot down
Marshfield, MO
Blackfoot down
hunter

Postby youngoilguy » Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:42 pm

I recently hunted over one. I've got to say I am super impressed with them and I will try and convince my buddies to get one. (I bought the boat, trailer and motor, and all decoys including mojos. I'm sick of being a guide for them).
assateague wrote:I hunt to kill. It's why I take a gun instead of a camera. And it's a goose- lighten up.

best quote ever
youngoilguy
hunter

Postby super90 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:44 pm

Blackfoot down wrote:Here is a picture of the project so far... I need to paint it after the sealant dries, rig my wiring to a 12V battery and make a dry box for it and the thermal flasher...

Looks great !

I planned on building my own and started adding up the cost of all the pieces and supplies, and after a while, just decided to buy a refurbished Higdon Pulsator off their site. It was $99, if I remember correctly. I will say, they added lots of great details to the product that would be hard to replicate. It is a well put together item.

I know it's a fun project, but I will be curious to know how much time, money and effort you have in it once completed.
super90
hunter

Postby Blackfoot down » Sat Dec 01, 2012 7:07 pm

Here is the list of supplies....

Duck Butt Feeder (had 5 in decoys)
12V 7A rechargable battery ($19 from Walmart)
16g wire (had in the garage)
shrink wrap (had in the garage)
Outdoor Product Large waterproof box ($9 from Walmart)
3/4" 90 degree conduit ($.087 from Lowes)
1/2" conduit plug ($.43 from Lowes)
E6000 Marine Epoxy ($6 from Walmart)
600 GPH bilge pump Shoreline ($17 from Walmart)
12V 7A Thermal Flasher ($3 from Autozone)
Krylon Flat Brown Camoulfage spraypaint (had in the garage)

Total Cost $55.30. Total time 1 hour.
100_3978 (640x475).jpg
Almost done
Blackfoot down
Marshfield, MO
Blackfoot down
hunter

Postby Blackfoot down » Sat Dec 01, 2012 7:18 pm

I should have taken picture along the way to post a tutorial, but there are several on the web already.
Mount the base of the bilge pump using the screws provided in the package. I drilled the holes first and put E6000 on the holes and the screws to seal the holes. Next I added about two feet of 16g wire and sealed the butt connections with shrink wrap. Then I added female connectors to attach the flasher red goes to + and - goes to battery. Black wire goes to black terminal on battery and the flasher connects to the red post. I drilled a hole in the side of the waterproof box to put the 1/2 pulg in for the wires. Make sure to seal the plug with E6000. I then ran the wires through the hole and taped the inside of the plug around the wires. Then fill the hole with E6000 and let it dry for 24 hours. The waterproof box is clear plastic so I sanded the outside so the spray paint would stick...It is drying right now... The waterproof box will hold the battery and the flasher and will act as the weight for the decoy so it doesn't have to be a pretty paint job.
I tested the decoy last night before painting and it is really cool. I didn't like the tube sticking out so far, so I heated it ove my wife's stove and bent it a little more and flattened the end so it sprays better. This was super easy to make and beats the $159 price tag for a Higdon. I am not knocking their products, but this is way cheaper....
Blackfoot down
Marshfield, MO
Blackfoot down
hunter

Postby Sprigs68 » Sat Dec 01, 2012 9:15 pm

Nice looking project. We run one side by side with a Wonderduck butt. The wonderduck is lighter easier to transport and puts out more motion and ripples. The pulsater type does a decent job though.

Sprigs
Sprigs68
hunter

Postby super90 » Sat Dec 01, 2012 9:18 pm

Blackfoot,

I think you did a great job and admire your quality work for sure ! You obviously had some basic supplies at home I didn't (wire, shrink tubing, the "butt feeder"), and I was going to have to buy those, and while they weren't incremental costs to you, they could be for the next guy.

In my case, there were other items I had to buy that I didn't have that upped the pricing or there were items I couldn't find as low cost as you did. First off, I couldn't find the waterproof box at my Walmart for $10, and looked for other options, which were $8 to $10 more. I didn't happen to have a charger for the 6v battery, so that costs another $10. I had already burned an afternoon trying to get parts together (we really have to include that time in the "build", so an hour might be optimistic) and was quickly getting closer to $75 or $85 for the first "pulsator". Higdon had refurbs in stock for $99 and that was looking really compelling ! And I totally agree, $150 is a lot harder to rationalize !!!

Regardless, it's a great "tool" to have available to put motion in the spread.
super90
hunter

Postby SX3STEW » Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:28 pm

I currently have 3 of them but mine are all hard wired to run back to the boat but i want to convert them to run off the batteries, what kind of run time are you guys getting using those batteries. I have some 12 volt batteries that came out of an emergency power supply but they don't run but like 15 min.
James
Waterfowl Mafia
SX3STEW
hunter

Postby super90 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:01 pm

SX3STEW wrote:What kind of run time are you guys getting using those batteries? I have some 12 volt batteries that came out of an emergency power supply but they don't run but like 15 min.

The battery pictured will run for several hours. Easily four to six. Can't say for sure because I recharge mine between hunts.
super90
hunter

Postby JuniorPre 360 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:24 am

They only thing I hate about all of these motion systems are the extra batteries and wires that need to be packed. This is a nice setup. I'm sure it'll bring in the ducks like crazy.
A BAD DAY AT THE MARSH BEATS A GOOD DAY AT WORK.
killwoodies101 wrote:your a dudshe bag! You dont own the river your dont own any property around it.. Its just as mush mine and any other tom **** and harry's as it is yours !! get a life share what is yours or stop hunting
JuniorPre 360
hunter

Postby SX3STEW » Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:58 pm

super90 wrote:
SX3STEW wrote:What kind of run time are you guys getting using those batteries? I have some 12 volt batteries that came out of an emergency power supply but they don't run but like 15 min.

The battery pictured will run for several hours. Easily four to six. Can't say for sure because I recharge mine between hunts.

That's more than enough time. Guess ill be making a trip to Walmart tonight to pick one up.
James
Waterfowl Mafia
SX3STEW
hunter

Postby Blackfoot down » Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:05 pm

I haven't had a chance to run it yet. Work seems to get in the way of my play time, but I will be trying it this weekend. My 6V rechargables run my Movin Head Goose decoys for about 12-15 hours. I don't think I will get this much time out of one of these because the motor needs more juice to run it... The only problem is that in Southwest Missouri, the temps are in the high sixties/low seventies!!!!!!! Not exactly duck weather around here... I will be hitting the water Saturday and Sunday, so I will post up any issues.

I don't this thing will be a "miracle" magnet for ducks, but I think on no wind days it will help with motion on the water. My spreader jerk rig holds a dozen dekes and moves the heck out water, but pulling a jerk cord for hours gets old, plus on windless sunny days I tend to fall asleep by 10AM after getting up at 2AM!!! One of the problems with getting old I guess...

I think the most expensive one is always the first build. After that you always have "leftovers" that would cut the cost down for your second build. I may skip the box on the next one and just run about 45 foot of wire to my blind, but I think the amperage may drop over that distance... Maybe an electrician could chime in on what wire gauge to run....
Blackfoot down
Marshfield, MO
Blackfoot down
hunter

Postby Nabs » Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:02 pm

I run Pulsators at the blind (3 of them) and use a deep cycle battery in a box 30 feet down the check, the wires are 30 to 60 feet and they run fine, I have a solar charger for the battery and it has ran all 3 all season for the last 3 years. I just unplug it when I leave and plug in on my way in.
Nabs
hunter

Return to Duck Decoy Forum