Flagging?

Share tips and ask questions on all types of duck decoys. Including working, classics, collectable, and carving decoys.

Moderators: HENDU3270, DUKHTR, fowlhunter, Remman

Flagging?

Postby shocktroop » Wed Dec 01, 2004 4:44 pm

Hey all. I've heard allot and read some about flagging...is this a good technique to get birds attention afar, if so, how do you construct one...employment techniques? All info is appreciated and welcome. (By the way, I hunt almost all ducks, if this makes a difference)
shocktroop
hunter

Postby yellowlab » Wed Dec 01, 2004 7:57 pm

for the most part i think the flagging technique is mainly used for geese .. but i could be wrong...
yellow
yellowlab
Forum & State Moderator

Postby shocktroop » Wed Dec 01, 2004 8:39 pm

I read an article in wildfowl about uys using them for ducks....the article didn't elaborate though.
shocktroop
hunter

Postby yellowlab » Wed Dec 01, 2004 9:24 pm

humm interesting ... i might have to see what guys one here say and give er' a try some hunt...
yellowlab
Forum & State Moderator

Flags

Postby Cupped-n-Committed » Thu Dec 02, 2004 4:11 am

I wife made me 2 2'x2' black duck cotton flags for goose hunting I have never heard of them being used for ducks or even wonder what color they would have to be. The once place we hunt the ducks seem to come over the tree and plop in the middle of the dekes before we even know they're coming and have to shoot at them on the way up.

We did use the flags the day before thanksgiving and had geese all over us. We divirted the first flock and they all seemed to follow the one before. We limited out at 5 each in an hour.
Cupped-n-Committed
Forum & State Moderator

Postby DUKHTR » Fri Dec 03, 2004 9:37 am

I think it would be pretty hard to use a flag to effectively wave at ducks....just because you are on land or in a blind and not in the decoys where it would be natural....but I definitely use a black flag when seaduck hunting!!! It is a real need on some days when the scoter are not passing right by the set-up....I will sometimes flag right up until the shot gets called. Very effective!!
DUKHTR
Forum & State Moderator

Flagging

Postby Dep666 » Wed Dec 08, 2004 10:39 am

I have hunted out of a layout boat and flagged ducks. You actually can have divers come right in after flagging. Scoters are probably the dumbest bird flying (Except maybey a Cormorant) and routinely fall victim to the flagging method. Good luck......Matt
Dep666
hunter

Return to Duck Decoy Forum