New ghg gadwall

Share tips and ask questions on all types of duck decoys. Including working, classics, collectable, and carving decoys.

Moderators: HENDU3270, Remman, DUKHTR, fowlhunter

Re: New ghg gadwall

Postby IowaWaterfowler10 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:34 pm

rebelp74 wrote:I disagree that all decoys will shed paint. G&H and Big Foot don't shed paint. They may get scratched from beign beaten around but the paint won't peel, chip or shed off.

Big foot b2's chip. I have friends with original bigfoots made in my home state of Iowa and they are tough as nails. But b2's are made in china.
IowaWaterfowler10
hunter

Postby rebelp74 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:49 pm

IowaWaterfowler10 wrote:
rebelp74 wrote:I disagree that all decoys will shed paint. G&H and Big Foot don't shed paint. They may get scratched from beign beaten around but the paint won't peel, chip or shed off.

Big foot b2's chip. I have friends with original bigfoots made in my home state of Iowa and they are tough as nails. But b2's are made in china.

I can't speak for the b2's, never had any but the originals are the shizz!
Indaswamp wrote:
jaysweet3 wrote:Looks a little small.

Dat's what She said....

Underradar wrote:We, the unsigned members of the HH, are not allowed to address such questions. But thank you for asking.
rebelp74
hunter

Postby John Q Public » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:22 pm

SPatrick wrote:What paint issue?

:lol: :lol: :lol:
John Q Public
hunter

Postby Weedwacker » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:45 pm

IowaWaterfowler10 wrote:
Weedwacker wrote:
IowaWaterfowler10 wrote:
I am not trying to be a Jag Off, but are you owner or MFG of GHG?

There are many concerned comments on this brand on this website, I only can speak of my Golden Eyes of GHG. White came off in large areas first 30 days of use. (weekend use) brought them in, touched up, re painted the area and then put 3 coats of clearcoat on them for protection

If you look at his signature it says AVERY PRO STAFF.

Well, I saw that , not sure how that relates

Do you not know what a member of a pro staff does!? They go out and basically hype up their company and make it seem like their the best. And yes I stuck up for Avery because I use Avery decoys. They aren't perfect but I can kill birds with them. No decoy is perfect and all will shed paint, if you look even Dakota has complaints. If you have to have everything perfect including decoy paint, maybe waterfowling isn't the sport for you. You have to take the good with the bad and compromise a lot. Not trying to start any beef with anyone. Everyone of you have just as much right to post your opinions about Avery or any other matter. Happy hunting to you guys and may the decoy gods help you with the paint.

To keep the buzz going. What someone has on their signature or posting, means nothing to me for this discussion . To not acknowledge that this brand has been mentioned in regards to paint issues by folks all over the country, is......

I have many Avery products, and will purchase more in future. My GHG decoys did not hold up as my G&H , as my Big Foot, that's my facts.

My decoy God is called G&H !! Be safe out there, have a great spring and summer.
It's not just a duck boat, it is a tatical platform for opportunity- weedwacker 101

Preserve game and hunt with a trained dog- NAVHDA

Google- Pro Staff
Weedwacker
hunter

Postby SPatrick » Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:45 am

About 5 or 6 years ago G&H had a run of decoys that the paint would slide off after a single use, leaving huge black marks of bare decoy exposed, to me that is a paint issue. Does that mean I think all G&H suck, no, I know they are solid decoys and I have seen some that are 15+ years old and still going strong, they just aren't my cup of tea. Paint being chipped or scratched after several seasons of use is normal wear and tear. Paint issues are in the eye of the beholder IMO as well, I personally don't feel that decoys need to look pristine in order to kill birds. If you guys have decoys that have completely shed their paint you need to do one of two things, call up avery CS and let them know, they will want you to either, send in pictures of the decoys, or send in the decoys. Second if that does not work, take them back to the place you bought them from. I am not denying that their may have been an issue in the past, or that some of you guys might have gotten a bad run, but that does not mean that all the decoys suck and you are going to loose paint on all of them. If you have a decoy right out of the box that has a significant amount of paint loss, take it back. I personally feel guys get to caught up on whether or not the decoy is pleasing to their eye, not what is pleasing to the birds. Bigfoot (the original not the b2 they suck) and G&H make very durable decoys that can take a beating, I have owned pretty much about all of them, however IMO they look like decoys. This is like the ford or chevy debate, everyone has their preference, and I truly don't care what guys like or why, I know what I like, and what works best for me and I have never had a single paint issue with any of my GHG decoys. With the new run of ducks i.e. the pro grades, I have truly not heard anything about a paint issue, and like I said earlier I talk to hundreds of guys a year at shows about these things.
Shaun Patrick
Avery Prostaff
HEVI-Shot Prostaff
SPatrick
State Moderator

Postby Have Gun Will Travel » Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:38 pm

I dont have paint issues with any of my GHG's, pro grade or hot buy. In not all that hard on them but they have been hunted and transported a lot and not in slotted bags either. I dont understand how anyone could think they can beat the hell out of decoys and not loose paint. Im in no way affiliated with any decoy co., but I just dont see the issues with them. Now the FA black ducks I have.....thats another story. They suck.
adustydawg2 wrote: maybe, just maybe, if you held your mouth right and prayed a little, you might get a 1 day invite before the end of the season. :eek: :hammer: Just a possibility. :bow: Send me a pm. :hi:
Have Gun Will Travel
hunter

Postby Eric Haynes » Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:41 pm

Have Gun Will Travel wrote:I dont have paint issues with any of my GHG's, pro grade or hot buy. In not all that hard on them but they have been hunted and transported a lot and not in slotted bags either. I dont understand how anyone could think they can beat the hell out of decoys and not loose paint. Im in no way affiliated with any decoy co., but I just dont see the issues with them. Now the FA black ducks I have.....thats another story. They suck.

There is a big difference between paint peeling off, and the decoy getting scratched. GHG have peeled or faded for everyone I know that owns them.
Eric Haynes
hunter

Postby JuniorPre 360 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:46 pm

Eric Haynes wrote:
Have Gun Will Travel wrote:I dont have paint issues with any of my GHG's, pro grade or hot buy. In not all that hard on them but they have been hunted and transported a lot and not in slotted bags either. I dont understand how anyone could think they can beat the hell out of decoys and not loose paint. Im in no way affiliated with any decoy co., but I just dont see the issues with them. Now the FA black ducks I have.....thats another story. They suck.

There is a big difference between paint peeling off, and the decoy getting scratched. GHG have peeled or faded for everyone I know that owns them.

Mine flakes off of the plastic.
A BAD DAY AT THE MARSH BEATS A GOOD DAY AT WORK.
killwoodies101 wrote:your a dudshe bag! You dont own the river your dont own any property around it.. Its just as mush mine and any other tom **** and harry's as it is yours !! get a life share what is yours or stop hunting
JuniorPre 360
hunter

Postby Eric Haynes » Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:47 pm

SPatrick wrote:About 5 or 6 years ago G&H had a run of decoys that the paint would slide off after a single use, leaving huge black marks of bare decoy exposed, to me that is a paint issue. Does that mean I think all G&H suck, no, I know they are solid decoys and I have seen some that are 15+ years old and still going strong, they just aren't my cup of tea. Paint being chipped or scratched after several seasons of use is normal wear and tear. Paint issues are in the eye of the beholder IMO as well, I personally don't feel that decoys need to look pristine in order to kill birds. If you guys have decoys that have completely shed their paint you need to do one of two things, call up avery CS and let them know, they will want you to either, send in pictures of the decoys, or send in the decoys. Second if that does not work, take them back to the place you bought them from. I am not denying that their may have been an issue in the past, or that some of you guys might have gotten a bad run, but that does not mean that all the decoys suck and you are going to loose paint on all of them. If you have a decoy right out of the box that has a significant amount of paint loss, take it back. I personally feel guys get to caught up on whether or not the decoy is pleasing to their eye, not what is pleasing to the birds. Bigfoot (the original not the b2 they suck) and G&H make very durable decoys that can take a beating, I have owned pretty much about all of them, however IMO they look like decoys. This is like the ford or chevy debate, everyone has their preference, and I truly don't care what guys like or why, I know what I like, and what works best for me and I have never had a single paint issue with any of my GHG decoys. With the new run of ducks i.e. the pro grades, I have truly not heard anything about a paint issue, and like I said earlier I talk to hundreds of guys a year at shows about these things.

Shaun, the picture I posted was a Pro-grade Goose, right out of the box. Manufactured 6 months prior to them being bought. Avery also would not replace them, but Gander Mountain did take them back. Not trying to get a rise out of ya, just saying there was paint issues with Pro-grades that I have witnessed. I do own a couple dozen hot buys that are still going strong, however I only use them if I'm going into one of my private swamps that is a hell hole. Typically lose a few decoys in it every year.
Eric Haynes
hunter

Postby Eric Haynes » Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:48 pm

JuniorPre 360 wrote:
Eric Haynes wrote:

Mine flakes off of the plastic.

Yep, that's what I consider flaking/peeling. Good paint doesn't come off like that.
Eric Haynes
hunter

Postby WIDrakeKiller » Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:46 pm

GHG holds their paint boys. I got 20 dozen GHG duck decoys and have had only one that flaked bad.
WIDrakeKiller
hunter

Postby rebelp74 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:48 pm

WIDrakeKiller wrote:GHG holds their paint boys. I got 20 dozen GHG duck decoys and have had only one that flaked bad.

You are one of the lucky ones.
Indaswamp wrote:
jaysweet3 wrote:Looks a little small.

Dat's what She said....

Underradar wrote:We, the unsigned members of the HH, are not allowed to address such questions. But thank you for asking.
rebelp74
hunter

Postby WIDrakeKiller » Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:25 pm

No Im not a lucky one. Just dont beat my decoys too crap
WIDrakeKiller
hunter

Postby JuniorPre 360 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:03 pm

WIDrakeKiller wrote:No Im not a lucky one. Just dont beat my decoys too crap

Mine must have taken quite the beating while they were still in the box. Both years I've ordered them.
killwoodies101 wrote:your a dudshe bag! You dont own the river your dont own any property around it.. Its just as mush mine and any other tom **** and harry's as it is yours !! get a life share what is yours or stop hunting
JuniorPre 360
hunter

Postby ncbufflehead » Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:18 pm

JuniorPre 360 wrote:
WIDrakeKiller wrote:No Im not a lucky one. Just dont beat my decoys too crap

Mine must have taken quite the beating while they were still in the box. Both years I've ordered them.
x2
ncbufflehead
hunter

Postby Weedwacker » Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:44 am

[b][/A delusion is a belief held with strong conviction despite superior evidence to the contrary.b]
It's not just a duck boat, it is a tatical platform for opportunity- weedwacker 101

Google- Pro Staff
Weedwacker
hunter

Postby SPatrick » Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:38 am

So because people have had different experiences with a product than you have they are delusional...Really :huh: I guess under some of the logic I am hearing here I should think that G&H decoys all suck because I got a bad run.

@ Eric, I am talking about the pro grade ducks. I used the pro grade honkers for the last 3 years and never had any issues, however I always bagged them. I am way easier on my goose full bodies than duck floaters. The thing is at times you may just get a bad run, which yes its a $hit deal, but there is things you can do about it, may not be the most convenient but you can rectify the situation.
Shaun Patrick
Avery Prostaff
HEVI-Shot Prostaff
SPatrick
State Moderator

Postby JuniorPre 360 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:44 am

SPatrick wrote:So because people have had different experiences with a product than you have they are delusional...Really :huh:.

This statement can be used on both sides of the argument. I am lead to believe that there are other durable decoys that have longer lasting paint based on my experience of ordering decoys. Over about 4 years I have ordered 6 sleepers, 1 dozen pro grade gwt, 4 puddler packs, 2 dozen hotbuys, and 4 butt up feeders. Again, this was over a 4 year period. My prograde teal went one single season and about 30%-40% of the paint was lost, all of the widgeon from my puddler packs lost about 20% along with the teal and pintails, and the sleepers were pretty banged up right out of the box. My butts are still fine. My recent generation of hotbuys were a joke. After just 3 hunts, the paint was almost completely flaked off. I know something changed because the very first generation hotbuys were the best I have ever owned. They flew out onto the freeway and I managed to save 3. They were not chipped or flaked after bouncing on the road at 80 mph. I may have been unlucky to get all bad batches and may be delusional but my experience has yet to change over the years. Either we hard hunters and avid outdoorsmen need to change or a company needs to. If paint is more for the hunter rather than the ducks, I wouldn't mind purchasing blanks at a cheaper cost. I end up painting a bunch anyway so it would save the company and me some time and money.
JuniorPre 360
hunter

Postby Weedwacker » Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:55 am

SPatrick wrote:
So because people have had different experiences with a product than you have they are delusional...Really .

No, it's your lack of acknowledgement of issue that has been posted, said, identified on many ares of the website as well as others!

It's what keeps me enjoying this post!!!

The other companies in this site, handle comments, suggestion, problems and issues in a much more positive manner.

Note: enjoy hevi shot for two years now!!

Google- Pro Staff
Weedwacker
hunter

Postby ringerslayer21 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:00 pm

I have at least a dozen of every single species by GHG besides goldeneye and coots and I have had some for over 4 years now...what paint problem??? I hunt Florida with saltwater also..I am just a regular hunter not a Avery pro staff and I don't know what y'all are doing to chip paint off of decoys. :huh: :no: :huh:
ringerslayer21
hunter

Postby STEVE IN SOCAL » Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:02 pm

I have some 4 yo GHG decoys, and wouldn't consider them to have a paint problem. A few dings here and there. My biggest gripe is the keels peeling off the body, causing them to leak. I don't baby my dekes, nor do I feel I abuse them.

The reason I buy GHG decoys is the different body poses they offer. I'm about color and posture of my decoys to fool the birds. Two dozen decoys all looking the same looks like....two dozen decoys. I'll deal with some paint issues to get butt-ups, headless, skimmers, sleepers, resters, etc.
STEVE IN SOCAL
hunter

Postby STEVE IN SOCAL » Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:17 pm

Back on topic...
The only GHG decoys I ever pulled out of the box and went "Ewwww..." were the older Gaddy decoys. Never could figure out why no one could make a decent gaddy deke. Looks like GHG nailed it.
STEVE IN SOCAL
hunter

Postby mudpack » Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:34 am

My GHG Pro Grade mallards are holding up pretty well, paint-wise.
My old GHG Lifesize mallards are terrible; the hens are literally PINK because 70% of the original paint is gone.
The old GHG Lifesize pintails are not good, but not really bad enough to need repainting...yet.
The Pro Grade teal seem to be tough as G&H!

Does GHG have a reputation for paint falling off? Gimme a break.....
mudpack
hunter

Postby WIDrakeKiller » Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:43 am

Never had a problem with the progrades paint they hold their own. Life size arnt as good but they still are better than flambeu, carry lite, etc. And I hope no one is talking about the hot buys because those do scratch to crap.
WIDrakeKiller
hunter

Postby IowaDuckHunting » Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:51 pm

All of the GHG I have had have never held up. My buddy ordered a dozen Pro Grade Mallards, one of the drakes head was missing a giant patch of green right on the top of the head. When he contacted avery/ghg they told him he could either send them all back and pay for the shipping or that they couldnt do anything...I had a Dakota Decoy mallard have paint chipped pretty bad on the chest out of the box, contacted Dakota, they asked for pictures, sent the pictures via email, and they mailed out the replacement. Needless to say i will stick with Dakota.
IowaDuckHunting
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to Duck Decoy Forum