New ghg gadwall

Share tips and ask questions on all types of duck decoys. Including working, classics, collectable, and carving decoys.

Moderators: HENDU3270, DUKHTR, fowlhunter, Remman

Re: New ghg gadwall

Postby Mean Gene » Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:42 pm

Rick Hall wrote:
SPatrick wrote:What paint issue?

Well, that's a different kind of greenhead for sure.
Mean Gene
hunter

Postby WIDrakeKiller » Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:30 pm

Ur gonna have to take me word on this one boys. I left a hotbuy hen out in a pond for the whole duck season. Basically it didnt fade at all. I ended up having to break it to get it free at the end of the season cuz their was 3" of ice. That one decoy actually decoyes groups of mallards. But the point is I think alot of guys are mad about extreme cases. Never had a problem with GHG decoys and I run alot of em. Just my experiance.
WIDrakeKiller
hunter

Postby Cujo1 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:14 pm

WIDrakeKiller wrote:Ur gonna have to take me word on this one boys. I left a hotbuy hen out in a pond for the whole duck season. Basically it didnt fade at all. I ended up having to break it to get it free at the end of the season cuz their was 3" of ice. That one decoy actually decoyes groups of mallards. But the point is I think alot of guys are mad about extreme cases. Never had a problem with GHG decoys and I run alot of em. Just my experiance.

With all due respect, I am glad you have not had any trouble with GHG. However, there are many of us who have had horrible experiences with the GHG. Most problamatic are the mallards. I sent boxes back that the paint was already half gone on the heads! The replacements lost paint after a few hunts. I am not dragging these things down the road by the lines. There are numerous threads about these decoys losing paint. Many are spraying them with clear coat to protect them. Why should a person have to clear coat a new decoy to keep paint on? I hope GHG has cured their paint issues in later years. I have not bought any for a long time, I choose to use my older decoys(20 years old) that still hold paint. I do agree that GHG has some very good looking decoys. Until I witness GHG decoys that have been in service for a few years and still resemble the ducks they originally did, I won't be buying any. I hunt 50-60 days each season, pick up and put out each time out of a boat, stack them in the boat. That isn't too hard on them is it?
All turkeys must die!

bighop wrote:Destined to be a child of the system now. Bounced around from house to house, abused, mistreated, earning his way on the streets. There's probably an expensive crack habit and a pair of those hind-leg wheels in his near futre.
Cujo1
hunter

Postby ohioboy » Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:44 pm

Mean Gene wrote:
Rick Hall wrote:
SPatrick wrote:What paint issue?

Well, that's a different kind of greenhead for sure.

That's for shooting a mallard that looks "just fabulous!"
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (15.32 KiB) Viewed 411 times
ohioboy
hunter

Postby WIDrakeKiller » Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:12 pm

Hope I did this right but this is a 3 year old pro grade mallard
Attachments
20130130_204114-1.jpg
WIDrakeKiller
hunter

Postby Cujo1 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:22 pm

WIDrakeKiller wrote:Hope I did this right but this is a 3 year old pro grade mallard

Nothing wrong with that! I wonder why so many of us have such different experiences? I know there are those that treat decoys like crap and they should be tore up, but not all of us do that.
All turkeys must die!

bighop wrote:Destined to be a child of the system now. Bounced around from house to house, abused, mistreated, earning his way on the streets. There's probably an expensive crack habit and a pair of those hind-leg wheels in his near futre.
Cujo1
hunter

Postby rebelp74 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:25 pm

I'm one of those beaters. The only ones that hold up are G&H. I beat the crap out of my texas rigs and longlines. My deep water decoys get a little better care though.
Indaswamp wrote:
jaysweet3 wrote:Looks a little small.

Dat's what She said....

Underradar wrote:We, the unsigned members of the HH, are not allowed to address such questions. But thank you for asking.
rebelp74
hunter

Postby WIDrakeKiller » Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:35 pm

Avery decoys can take quite a bit of abuse. This decoy has been stuffed in a jon boat full of decoys, stepped on, thrown in a bag .... Sure G&H might be more durable but for a 3 year old decoy that looks fine to me.
WIDrakeKiller
hunter

Postby Cujo1 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:45 pm

I've hunted long enough to watch every kind of decoy fall apart. G&H used to split down the sides, Flambeau used to have the keel fall off, Carrylite ducks used to be as good looking as they came, for about 6 hunts when all of the paint fell off. I bought some Bigfoot floaters two years ago, half sank. They replaced the dozen(good service), they look good, but the paint will be off in a couple of years. I paint old dekes black and white for divers, when they sink, cut the cord and pitch them. Sorry to say a good number are GHG as well as others. I have heard good things about GHG other ducks, but it seems like the mallards were the most troublesome. I am going to buy a couple dozen drake Pintails for next year, just don't know what kind yet.
All turkeys must die!

Cujo1
hunter

Postby rebelp74 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:49 pm

Cujo1 wrote:I've hunted long enough to watch every kind of decoy fall apart. G&H used to split down the sides, Flambeau used to have the keel fall off, Carrylite ducks used to be as good looking as they came, for about 6 hunts when all of the paint fell off. I bought some Bigfoot floaters two years ago, half sank. They replaced the dozen(good service), they look good, but the paint will be off in a couple of years. I paint old dekes black and white for divers, when they sink, cut the cord and pitch them. Sorry to say a good number are GHG as well as others. I have heard good things about GHG other ducks, but it seems like the mallards were the most troublesome. I am going to buy a couple dozen drake Pintails for next year, just don't know what kind yet.

Check out the tangle free pintails. I have 4 dozen of them, they have held up great for the 2 seasons that I've had them. I did clear coat them though just to be safe. I haven't had any sinkers or plastic durability issues yet.
Indaswamp wrote:

Dat's what She said....

Underradar wrote:We, the unsigned members of the HH, are not allowed to address such questions. But thank you for asking.
rebelp74
hunter

Postby WIDrakeKiller » Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:20 pm

Cujo1 GHG is also coming out with Pro Grade Pintails if u dont know. Been talking with Avery and I guess the tails are removemable or something. They look better than any pintail decoy out there by far obviously. They come in diff head positions. If u dont slot your decoys the removable tail may be a problem but they are gonna change the pintail decoy marjet for sure.
WIDrakeKiller
hunter

Postby JuniorPre 360 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:29 pm

They can have removable keel, heads, tails, or whatever. But if the paint cannot take a beating of 3 hunts like mine have yet to do, I don't think much will matter.
A BAD DAY AT THE MARSH BEATS A GOOD DAY AT WORK.
killwoodies101 wrote:your a dudshe bag! You dont own the river your dont own any property around it.. Its just as mush mine and any other tom **** and harry's as it is yours !! get a life share what is yours or stop hunting
JuniorPre 360
hunter

Postby rebelp74 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:42 pm

Dakota is supposed to be coming out with some pintails.
Indaswamp wrote:

Dat's what She said....

rebelp74
hunter

Postby JuniorPre 360 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:43 pm

rebelp74 wrote:Dakota is supposed to be coming out with some pintails.

Have you not seen them yet?
killwoodies101 wrote:your a dudshe bag! You dont own the river your dont own any property around it.. Its just as mush mine and any other tom **** and harry's as it is yours !! get a life share what is yours or stop hunting
JuniorPre 360
hunter

Postby Cujo1 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:44 pm

WIDrakeKiller wrote:Cujo1 GHG is also coming out with Pro Grade Pintails if u dont know. Been talking with Avery and I guess the tails are removemable or something. They look better than any pintail decoy out there by far obviously. They come in diff head positions. If u dont slot your decoys the removable tail may be a problem but they are gonna change the pintail decoy marjet for sure.

Don't mean to offend anybody, but I will never buy a slot bag to protect a plastic decoy! If it is too cheap to take normal hunting it doesn't belong in my boat. Now if I had a dozen handmade cork decoys, then ya they would deserve protection.
All turkeys must die!

Cujo1
hunter

Postby Cujo1 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:46 pm

I'm waiting on Dakotas to be around for a few more years to see how durable they are! 2 or 3 seasons don't mean much to me.
All turkeys must die!

Cujo1
hunter

Postby WIDrakeKiller » Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:57 am

I sent my dakotas back they scratched like crazy. Decided Id stick with GHG. I should take more pictures of GHG decoys that are older. Show u guys that they hold em pretty good.
WIDrakeKiller
hunter

Postby Weedwacker » Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:48 am

Cujo1 wrote:Don't mean to offend anybody, but I will never buy a slot bag to protect a plastic decoy! If it is too cheap to take normal hunting it doesn't belong in my boat. Now if I had a dozen handmade cork decoys, then ya they would deserve protection.

:huh: I am not offended , but if the reality is that all plastic decoys paint is limited on durability , they why not do a little something to extend their appearance and hunt life ?

A cheap can of clear coating on new decoys, and using some slot bags have kept many of mine still in great shape and in the game.

I don't mind a little extra effort to extend my gears life.
It's not just a duck boat, it is a tatical platform for opportunity- weedwacker 101

Preserve game and hunt with a trained dog- NAVHDA

"In looking back thru his posts over there he kind of thinks of himself as the zen of all things fowl."
Weedwacker
hunter

Postby Cujo1 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:59 pm

Weedwacker wrote:
Cujo1 wrote:Don't mean to offend anybody, but I will never buy a slot bag to protect a plastic decoy! If it is too cheap to take normal hunting it doesn't belong in my boat. Now if I had a dozen handmade cork decoys, then ya they would deserve protection.

:huh: I am not offended , but if the reality is that all plastic decoys paint is limited on durability , they why not do a little something to extend their appearance and hunt life ?

A cheap can of clear coating on new decoys, and using some slot bags have kept many of mine still in great shape and in the game.

See, that is my point. Why should a person that spends the kind of money that "quality" decoys cost, have to finish the painting process and baby them in their own little holsters? Pro series are about $130 before shipping, a $5 can of clearcoat, a bag $50, I don't know, don't have any, line and weights it is easy to tie up $200 a dozen and still have a marginal at best product. This is 2013 and decoy durability is worse today than 20 years ago, the detail and lifelike features has improved ten fold, but the paint :no: Anyway, I think we are all on the same side, come on decoy dudes give us a quality product. :thumbsup:
All turkeys must die!

Cujo1
hunter

Postby Weedwacker » Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:46 pm

Cujo1 wrote:
Weedwacker wrote:

See, that is my point. Why should a person that spends the kind of money that "quality" decoys cost, have to finish the painting process and baby them in their own little holsters? Pro series are about $130 before shipping, a $5 can of clearcoat, a bag $50, I don't know, don't have any, line and weights it is easy to tie up $200 a dozen and still have a marginal at best product. This is 2013 and decoy durability is worse today than 20 years ago, the detail and lifelike features has improved ten fold, but the paint :no: Anyway, I think we are all on the same side, come on decoy dudes give us a quality product. :thumbsup:

An old man taught me a long time ago, " hope is not a plan" . So I will continue to use some slotted bags on my better decoys, a spray some clear coat protection.
It's not just a duck boat, it is a tatical platform for opportunity- weedwacker 101

"In looking back thru his posts over there he kind of thinks of himself as the zen of all things fowl."
Weedwacker
hunter

Postby Wobbling Wings Waterfowling » Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:07 am

SPatrick wrote:I beat the crap out of all of my decoys, every duck or goose floater I own is texas rigged, and I throw them in and out of a boat all year long, with out bags. I mostly use the life size series decoys, paint has never been an issue, sure there might be some scratches or a small chip here and there, Nothing that would stop me from killing ducks. I also haven't heard anybody complain about the pro grade paint at all. And I talk to hundreds of guys every year at shows across the midwest about them. If a small chip or scratch in a decoy causes you not to kill ducks or geese, there is something else very wrong. Not trying to be a prick here, but I just think some guys get way to crazy about decoy paint must be perfect to kill them.

Ahree with you man. Everyone always complains about GHG's and I do not understand why. Everyone I know that uses them never had a problem. Ive had some of mine for like 8 years not and thry look great and are barely scratched at all. I love GHGs... You cant get anymore realistic than them either. Heck with G&H and BF they look like poop compared to a GHG. NOt saying they don't kill birds but I just love the confidence I have with my GHG'. :bow:
Wobbling Wings Waterfowling
hunter

Postby Have Gun Will Travel » Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:38 am

Weedwacker wrote:
Cujo1 wrote:
Weedwacker wrote:

An old man taught me a long time ago, " hope is not a plan" . So I will continue to use some slotted bags on my better decoys, a spray some clear coat protection.

So how does putting a coating on top of something that supposedly isnt bonded underneath going to help? This clear coat thing kills me. :lol3: Its like taking the lugs off your truck tire, placing a cover over the tire and expecting it to stay on. Doesnt work.
adustydawg2 wrote: maybe, just maybe, if you held your mouth right and prayed a little, you might get a 1 day invite before the end of the season. :eek: :hammer: Just a possibility. :bow: Send me a pm. :hi:
Have Gun Will Travel
hunter

Postby BuckCreek » Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:44 am

12 slot bags are worth it just for having boat organized. Plus if you only want a few doz set out a couple bags.
BuckCreek
hunter

Postby Weedwacker » Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:52 am

BuckCreek wrote:12 slot bags are worth it just for having boat organized. Plus if you only want a few doz set out a couple bags.

Exactly, another great point.

I change boats off and on and with the season, different spreads and birds.

I use the 6 slots more, in small boat I just grab 6 of these, 6 of those and I am gone!. :beer:

Weedwacker
hunter

Postby JuniorPre 360 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:55 am

BuckCreek wrote:12 slot bags are worth it just for having boat organized. Plus if you only want a few doz set out a couple bags.

I don't like them because I have a small boat and 3 bags (3 dozen decoys) would take up the entire front half. The refuge I hunt is so pressured and shot up that ducks will not look if there aren't at least 8 dozen ducks in the water. I have 2 two-man carrying bags that I fill with duck decoys and I can fit my hunting buddy in too. There's no way I could fit 8 slotted bags.

As far as the clear coating, I'd say it works on repainted or self-painted decoys that have been prepared properly to take the paint. I haven't seen a difference in factory decoys that weren't prepared properly to have the paint adhere. It's still going to chip and flake. I think it's dumb to need to use it along with slotted bags to keep the looks of your expensive investment.
JuniorPre 360
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to Duck Decoy Forum