Newbie needing advice on decoys

Share tips and ask questions on all types of duck decoys. Including working, classics, collectable, and carving decoys.

Moderators: HENDU3270, Remman, DUKHTR, fowlhunter

Newbie needing advice on decoys

Postby sruss01 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:05 am

Had my first duck hunt New Years Eve and the two days following. Needless to say, I'm hooked. Here's my question...

What are the best decoys to pick up on a budget? Probably looking to get a doz mallards for starters. Trying to stock up gradually this spring and summer so I can be geared up for next season.

Also, are there any good spots for picking up good used gear online other than craigslist?
sruss01
hunter

Re: Newbie needing advice on decoys

Postby koonce727 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:16 am

pick up some used G&h mallards. Personally I like the older ones a tad better. I have amazing luck with there older products. You can find them on craiglist or follow the forums classifieds. Not sure of you location but search for other waterfowl forums in your area. There are always ppl selling deeks. Also check rummage sales and estate sales. Couldnt believe what i found at an estate sale a year back, guys family had no idea what grampa had.

If you cant find any g&hs even the old Flams have some great paint. Not the most realistic but you will kill ducks just fine over them.
Burlap Brothers Guide Service
koonce727
hunter

Postby sruss01 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:48 pm

Thanks, @koonce727! I have some Flams available at $50/dozen (used). Sound like a good price?

Appreciate the response! New to the forum and looking to gain from your guys' experience.
sruss01
hunter

Postby ohioboy » Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:50 pm

There is no @ on here. That is twitter. :welcome:
ohioboy
hunter

Postby sruss01 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:15 pm

ohioboy wrote:There is no @ on here. That is twitter. :welcome:

Haha, thanks for the welcome.
sruss01
hunter

Postby stumpjumper1590 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:33 pm

If you are looking for cheap don't forget stromfronts and hotbuys. If you have the duck bug prepare to spend some MONEY on getting everything you need! :welcome:
"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good" -- George Washington

2013-2014 Season Strap

3- Blue wing teal
stumpjumper1590
hunter

Postby The Duck Hammer » Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:54 pm

stumpjumper1590 wrote:If you are looking for cheap don't forget stromfronts and hotbuys. If you have the duck bug prepare to spend some MONEY on getting everything you need! :welcome:

Get some stormfronts and put 3 coats of krylon clear coat on them. It will make the paint last longer.
“When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on” - Theodore Roosevelt
jaysweet3 wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:easy...just manipulate the ruler to make the inch shorter so that 28" reads 30"..... :thumbsup:

That's how I got a 13" pecker.
The Duck Hammer
hunter

Postby Ga ducker » Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:12 am

I don't know how they hold up but Academy has some new Game Winner Carvers Edge decoys that look really good! I don't know if they're durable but if you need cheap then take a look at them. :welcome:
Ga ducker
hunter

Postby sruss01 » Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:59 pm

stumpjumper1590 wrote:If you are looking for cheap don't forget stromfronts and hotbuys. If you have the duck bug prepare to spend some MONEY on getting everything you need! :welcome:

Exactly why I'm trying to stock up on gear now! :thumbsup:
sruss01
hunter

Postby sruss01 » Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:59 pm

The Duck Hammer wrote:

Get some stormfronts and put 3 coats of krylon clear coat on them. It will make the paint last longer.

Thanks for the tip!
sruss01
hunter

Postby sruss01 » Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:00 pm

Ga ducker wrote:I don't know how they hold up but Academy has some new Game Winner Carvers Edge decoys that look really good! I don't know if they're durable but if you need cheap then take a look at them. :welcome:

Appreciate the advice, thanks!
sruss01
hunter

Return to Duck Decoy Forum