Burlapping problems

Share tips and ask questions on all types of duck decoys. Including working, classics, collectable, and carving decoys.

Moderators: HENDU3270, Remman, DUKHTR, fowlhunter

Burlapping problems

Postby m.teeter » Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:17 pm

I have been making some decoys and burlapping them. But I've noticed that the mastic is softening when spending a long time in the water. Could this be something I'm doing wrong or possibly an inferior mastic. Thanks in advance for any help.
m.teeter
hunter

Re: Burlapping problems

Postby MassDecoyCarver » Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:10 am

3 things to remember,....

Use an acrylic Mastic
Don't apply it too thick, better to put on 2 or 3 light coats. Make sure it is really dry before painting, this could take a few days in a dry and warm place.
Make sure you've sealed it thoroughly with an oil based paint before proceeding with colors.

Other folks here know more than I do, but these are the rules I follow and I have not had any trouble with mine.
MassDecoyCarver
hunter

Postby m.teeter » Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:18 pm

Thanks. I'm pretty sure that the dry time is my culprit. I have been trying to rush them thru and now I've done a lot of work for nothing. Oh well, just another excuse to make more decoys.
m.teeter
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:42 pm

You gotta wait, wait, wait...that's why it's good to do a few in phases. And don't rush it either. I put a few by the wood stove all excited.....crackle crackle crack....... :no:
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby Gcdhunter » Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:03 pm

i seal mine with two coats of spar varnish. makes em rock hard and waterproof too. I know the first set i ever burlapped i just primed and painted and they got soft.
I hate goose poop on my golf course
Gcdhunter
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Sat Feb 02, 2013 5:16 am

Gcdhunter wrote:i seal mine with two coats of spar varnish. makes em rock hard and waterproof too. I know the first set i ever burlapped i just primed and painted and they got soft.

I've done that too. I find it to be a lonnnnnnnng process for sure. I find at least a day between drying coats.
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby Gcdhunter » Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:21 am

Its a long process for sure but will pay off in the end. If you are going to be hunting many consecutive days they will become soft without spar
I hate goose poop on my golf course
Gcdhunter
hunter

Return to Duck Decoy Forum