Old mallards to Red heads.

Share tips and ask questions on all types of duck decoys. Including working, classics, collectable, and carving decoys.

Moderators: HENDU3270, DUKHTR, fowlhunter, Remman

Old mallards to Red heads.

Postby Weedwacker » Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:03 am

Not complete with details, like eyes and black being painted flat black.

Should I add more Dark Grey feathers to top, or paint solid Dark Grey and let it go?

It's not a white base, it's a lite grey which when outside in the light, is not a bad color!!

Thoughts, suggestion? I am not a painter, my first go at this and it is helping the cabin fever!!
Attachments
image.jpg
It's not just a duck boat, it is a tatical platform for opportunity- weedwacker 101

Preserve game and hunt with a trained dog- NAVHDA

"In looking back thru his posts over there he kind of thinks of himself as the zen of all things fowl."
Weedwacker
hunter

Re: Old mallards to Red heads.

Postby WIDrakeKiller » Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:57 am

Look good. I think the light grey could be a little bit darker but the lighter color helps it stick out more.
WIDrakeKiller
hunter

Postby MassDecoyCarver » Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:53 am

Looks good !
MassDecoyCarver
hunter

Postby camarine » Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:12 am

Repaint looks great. What color did you use for the bill?
camarine
hunter

Postby Weedwacker » Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:02 pm

Bill color- will get exact later tonight and advise. Paint is acrylic from Hobby Lobby, nice small couple of ounce bottles.

Light grey- yes I thought it should be darker also, but looking at the several red head decoy pictures on line, there was no consistent shade or even pattern?? So I presume they all draw ducks into the spread so I went lighter to give me more visibility and the photo doesn't show it off the best.

What about the back, leave it alone? Add more dark grey? Paint whole back dark grey?
It's not just a duck boat, it is a tatical platform for opportunity- weedwacker 101

"In looking back thru his posts over there he kind of thinks of himself as the zen of all things fowl."
Weedwacker
hunter

Postby cwsmith » Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:17 pm

what type of paint is it? don't make the mistake of using an acrylic paint. i used an oil-based rustoleum flat paint for my blacks and whites on some mallard drake re-paints and they held color wonderfully. however, for my colors i used acrylics and after just a couple of uses they were starting to peel away and expose the old color.
13-14 Season

40 mallards
14 GWT
13 pin
10 spoony
10 buff
9 wigeon
8 rgnk
6 woodie
6 gad
5 barrow's ge
3 merg
3 ruddy
2 l scaup
1 g scaup
1 comm ge
1 can
TOTAL DUCKS = 132

77 canada
4 snow
2 speck
TOTAL GEESE = 83

TOTAL WATERFOWL = 215
cwsmith
hunter

Postby Weedwacker » Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:23 pm

cwsmith wrote:what type of paint is it? don't make the mistake of using an acrylic paint. i used an oil-based rustoleum flat paint for my blacks and whites on some mallard drake re-paints and they held color wonderfully. however, for my colors i used acrylics and after just a couple of uses they were starting to peel away and expose the old color.

What did you use as your primer? I did the truck bed liner route and its holding help well and tuff.

Did you apply any protection coatings on top after painting? Latex and acrylic .

Weedwacker
hunter

Postby JuniorPre 360 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:21 pm

Weedwacker wrote:
cwsmith wrote:what type of paint is it? don't make the mistake of using an acrylic paint. i used an oil-based rustoleum flat paint for my blacks and whites on some mallard drake re-paints and they held color wonderfully. however, for my colors i used acrylics and after just a couple of uses they were starting to peel away and expose the old color.

What did you use as your primer? I did the truck bed liner route and its holding help well and tuff.

Did you apply any protection coatings on top after painting? Latex and acrylic .

I did exactly what you did. The difference I did was sanding down the duck to make it rough. After the bedliner and clear coat, the acrylice held up better than my ones painted with the tustoleum. I painted my canvasbacks with rustoleum and they were the only to chip.
A BAD DAY AT THE MARSH BEATS A GOOD DAY AT WORK.
killwoodies101 wrote:your a dudshe bag! You dont own the river your dont own any property around it.. Its just as mush mine and any other tom **** and harry's as it is yours !! get a life share what is yours or stop hunting
JuniorPre 360
hunter

Postby camarine » Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:55 am

Weedwacker wrote:Bill color- will get exact later tonight and advise. Paint is acrylic from Hobby Lobby, nice small couple of ounce bottles.

Light grey- yes I thought it should be darker also, but looking at the several red head decoy pictures on line, there was no consistent shade or even pattern?? So I presume they all draw ducks into the spread so I went lighter to give me more visibility and the photo doesn't show it off the best.

What about the back, leave it alone? Add more dark grey? Paint whole back dark grey?

I think you should add more dark grey to the back- just going off of pictures.
camarine
hunter

Postby Weedwacker » Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:03 am

I agree on more grey, also going to come down the sides a bit more with it.

Thanks.

Weedwacker
hunter

Postby WingsCupped&FeetDown » Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:03 pm

Those look terrible and I doubt any birds will come in. You should box them all up and ship them to me and I'll take care of getting rid of them for you.

They look great man!! I'd hit them with a protective coat of the flat clear rustoleum.
Friends don't let Friends skybust

Amendment II
A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
WingsCupped&FeetDown
hunter

Postby Weedwacker » Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:21 pm

Well, had a little time this am so added some more. Again this is a test decoy for grey.
Not sure I like the blue/purple I added on sides.
Attachments
image.jpg

Weedwacker
hunter

Return to Duck Decoy Forum