Reel Wings Bird Vision UV Paint "iridescent green"

Share tips and ask questions on all types of duck decoys. Including working, classics, collectable, and carving decoys.

Moderators: HENDU3270, Remman, DUKHTR, fowlhunter

Reel Wings Bird Vision UV Paint "iridescent green"

Postby longlakesd » Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:07 pm

I want to add the iridescent green to the heads of my foam bluebill and goldeneye heads and was looking at the Reel Wings Bird Vision UV Paint "iridescent green" .... anyone else have experience with this product and how well it looks for my intended application and how well it holds up?
Impeach Cuomo .... sign this petition

http://impeachandrewcuomo.com/?
longlakesd
hunter

Re: Reel Wings Bird Vision UV Paint "iridescent green"

Postby anderchuck » Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:00 pm

I'm also working on painting the heads of my Herters Buffle's and Bills and I think I found a great solution. I picked up some Pearl Ex powdered pigments color 'Duo Green/Purple'. I'm still experimenting on the best way to apply but what I found best so far is to paint the heads flat black, brush on the Pearl Ex powder and then spray on a flat clear coat. I'm crossing my fingers it holds up well but at least for now it looks darn good in natural light. If you google Pearl Ex Pigments you will find the powders.
anderchuck
Newb

Postby longlakesd » Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:08 pm

well i am going to do flat black then wanted to apply this green over it
Impeach Cuomo .... sign this petition

http://impeachandrewcuomo.com/?
longlakesd
hunter

Postby hawkeye55 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:39 pm

Try dry brushing the green color over the black. I use testers model paint is gloss metalic green or plan gloss green on cheeks of mallard repaints and cheeks of bluebills. by dry brushing it is easier to blend in the green so it looks natural. Sometimes I need to go back and dry brush the flat mallard green or black for the bluebill on the edges of the gloss/metalic to blend a second time if I do not like the way it looks after it drys. If you spray a dull clear coat for protection over the top it will kill your hard work trying to achive the irredescant effect, so I would either apply clear coat prior to the gloss/metalic paint or not at all. I do not use a clear coat.
hawkeye55
hunter

Return to Duck Decoy Forum