Decoy Storage

Share tips and ask questions on all types of duck decoys. Including working, classics, collectable, and carving decoys.

Moderators: HENDU3270, DUKHTR, fowlhunter, Remman

Decoy Storage

Postby teamroughneck » Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:31 am

How do you guys store your decoys during the off season? Does anyone have a rack system or anything. I kept mine in a metal building last yr but with them all piled in there the heat warped several decoys and not wanting to lose anymore like that. The building is just for decoys so I can build or add on anything specifically for decoy storage.I just want to be able to get my decoys organized and more neatly stored with easy access to whatever i decide to pull out instead of diggin through bags and piles of decoys just to find specific ones. Pics would be great.
Nothing makes a day of hunting better then having a kid with you..
teamroughneck
hunter

Re: Decoy Storage

Postby rebelp74 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:41 am

I have a little loft that I built and put walls up in the space under it in one of my barns that I keep them in. I store my deep water and long lines in 55gal. drums with the tops cut off in the space under it. I thow all of my texas rigs in a big pile in the loft. I put my full body ducks and geese in a bin that I built in the loft. Shells stakced in the back of the loft. The silohuettes get hung up on the back wall in the space under it. I put my rags, decoy bags and motion decoys in tubs with lids and stack in the bottom space to keep the critters and water out. It works really well and everything is squared away.
Indaswamp wrote:
jaysweet3 wrote:Looks a little small.

Dat's what She said....

Underradar wrote:We, the unsigned members of the HH, are not allowed to address such questions. But thank you for asking.
rebelp74
hunter

Postby John Q Public » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:23 pm

I store all my duck floaters in bags in the loft space above my garage. The bags are laid on their side to attempt to prevent damage. Sillhouettes are strung by stakes and hung on wall. Goose floaters get stacked in a pile about four high to minimize damage. Shells are also stacked near back, with the heads in decoy bags. I only have a couple dozen fullbodied geese and some are bagged and some not.

I've found some damage, especially to duck keels when storing this way, but laying the bags on their sides and not stacking them seems to do alright.

I've only got about 800 or so dekes :fingerhead: , but that is too many to build shelves for, so it's up and down the ladder multiple times for me.
John Q Public
hunter

Postby dakotashooter2 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:42 pm

Mine are texas rigged so I just hang them from the ceiling. No direct weight on any decoys just some side pressure and I can see what is in each bunch.
dakotashooter2
hunter

Postby Frank Lopez » Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:14 pm

I store mine on racks in the basement. I've found that storing them in the rafters above the garage exposes them to a lot of unnecessary heat and that leads to the warping.

Frank
I feel slightly sorry for a man who has never patterned his gun, who has no idea how far his chosen load will retain killing penetration. But I'm extremely sorry for the ducks he shoots at beyond the killing range of his gun and load - Bob Brister
Frank Lopez
hunter

Postby teamroughneck » Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:18 pm

Thanks guys. I have a mix between texas rigs long lines and wraps so hangin is out of question and i get alot of busted deeks where keel meets body and warped decoys it seems no matter how i lay em even when not in bags. its over 100 degrees outside pretty much all summer and building gets no shade so it get a tad bit warm in there. I only got bout 2-300 duck floaters and doz mallard shells and 2 1/2 doz mallard silos but gonna be adding alot this spring and summer
teamroughneck
hunter

Postby WingsCupped&FeetDown » Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:57 pm

Does the building have a vent in the top? If not that would be my first thing. On of the ones that spin. Simple to do really. Sawsall a small hole, add vent, caulk and or copper flashing around vent. Also maybe some dryer vents along the bottom to allow the "cooler" air to come up they when the hot air is vented. If you don't do both, you won't have air flow. I'd make sure to cover the bottom vets with mesh wire to keep of the critters.
Friends don't let Friends skybust

Amendment II
A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
WingsCupped&FeetDown
hunter

Postby The Duck Hammer » Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:15 pm

I keep all of mine in an open barn. I just throw them in at the end of the season and wash off all the dust next year.
“When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on” - Theodore Roosevelt
jaysweet3 wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:easy...just manipulate the ruler to make the inch shorter so that 28" reads 30"..... :thumbsup:

That's how I got a 13" pecker.
The Duck Hammer
hunter

Postby teamroughneck » Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:27 pm

Yeah venting it makes sense but last yr i never even closed the door all the way. I wish I had a barn to throw all mine in, i would be in heaven but dont have that option. I guess I am just gonna start drawing up some racks and do some trial and error building. The only reason I am stressing about easy access this year is I am gonna try to foam fill several. Thanks for all the input guys
teamroughneck
hunter

Postby WSUWESTON » Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:36 am

Build a decoy shed with lots of air flow.
WSUWESTON
Forum Moderator

Postby teamroughneck » Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:05 pm

Whats rough dimentions on those shelves and how many decoys you got on em. Thats the kind of pics I was hoping would be posted to see how guys had shelves set up and what sizes.
teamroughneck
hunter

Postby WSUWESTON » Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:14 am

Some are 12" and fit one decoy deep. Some at 22" and I place them 2 deep. I also have large shelves that I put fullbody slot bags on. All my long line decoys just hang from hooks.
WSUWESTON
Forum Moderator

Postby Weedwacker » Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:54 am

WSUWESTON wrote:Build a decoy shed with lots of air flow.

You are a sick mad with an illness, but I am sure your family has told you that many times before :thumbsup:

I try to make my storage not so obvious, and spread my gear all over garage, basement, attic and shed. She would leave me if she saw it all at one time.... Man am I going to miss her!
It's not just a duck boat, it is a tatical platform for opportunity- weedwacker 101

Preserve game and hunt with a trained dog- NAVHDA

"In looking back thru his posts over there he kind of thinks of himself as the zen of all things fowl."
Weedwacker
hunter

Postby montana bound » Sun Feb 03, 2013 5:26 pm

On shelves.

You get out of a dog , what you put into a dog!
montana bound
hunter

Postby IowaWaterfowler10 » Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:20 pm

This is only one shelf that I keep in the basement. It's all my good decoys or "kill hole" blocks. And then the fillers are on shelves in the garage. Keep the goose decoys in the homemade layout blind infront (still have to finish putting camo on the door). It's organized, keeps them out of the elements, and in a controlled climate so your not going to see warping.

http://s1295.beta.photobucket.com/user/Iowahunter10/media/image_zps30e5ae8d.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0
IowaWaterfowler10
hunter

Postby Cajun1085 » Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:36 pm

Here is my man cave. I dont have as many decoys as some approx 5-6 dozen. I like to keep all my stuff organized. You never know when you might get the last minute call to hunt.
Attachments
man room.JPG
GATORTAIL 1646 25GTR

SouthEast Gator-tail
Cajun1085
hunter

Return to Duck Decoy Forum