Decoy Patterns?

Share tips and ask questions on all types of duck decoys. Including working, classics, collectable, and carving decoys.

Moderators: HENDU3270, Remman, DUKHTR, fowlhunter

Decoy Patterns?

Postby jennyfell55 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:03 am

So I'm hoping to get started carving my own decoys, and finally got some foam, but I can't find any patterns! All the sites I find links to online seem to be down :sad: Is there anyone out there that has some patterns they'd be willing to share with me? I'm looking for Mallard, Pintail, Green Winged Teal, Widgeon, and possibly Ringneck. I'm really excited to carve my first decoy... can't wait to get started!! :biggrin:
jennyfell55
hunter

Re: Decoy Patterns?

Postby hankyorke » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:43 am

Godin Volume 1 has you covered for all but the Ringers.
hankyorke
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:55 am

Jenny....
You are very ambitious...I would get yourself a mallard decoy that you like and just draw a rough patter from it's silhouette on the side and top of your foam blank.
From there cut out the tear drop shape and begin roughing it out.
There is a lot to it and the first one will teach you the limitations of your tools, working on symmetry, dimensions etc..
Forget all the templates, just start ripping into one and the learning curve will begin.
Put it down and come back to it the next day, you will see all kinds of problems that need to be solved.
By the time you are on your third decoy of the same species, you'll start getting the hang of it.
Good luck and have fun
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby Have Gun Will Travel » Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:02 pm

Jenny,

The other site you posted on requires so many posts before you can see the pattern sections and a few others. PM me your email. I have a few on my computer I can send. I think I mainly have divers on this computer though.
adustydawg2 wrote: maybe, just maybe, if you held your mouth right and prayed a little, you might get a 1 day invite before the end of the season. :eek: :hammer: Just a possibility. :bow: Send me a pm. :hi:
Have Gun Will Travel
hunter

Postby JuniorPre 360 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:55 pm

A BAD DAY AT THE MARSH BEATS A GOOD DAY AT WORK.
killwoodies101 wrote:your a dudshe bag! You dont own the river your dont own any property around it.. Its just as mush mine and any other tom **** and harry's as it is yours !! get a life share what is yours or stop hunting
JuniorPre 360
hunter

Postby JuniorPre 360 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:02 pm

killwoodies101 wrote:your a dudshe bag! You dont own the river your dont own any property around it.. Its just as mush mine and any other tom **** and harry's as it is yours !! get a life share what is yours or stop hunting
JuniorPre 360
hunter

Postby Have Gun Will Travel » Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:43 am

Junoir are you a member over there?
adustydawg2 wrote: maybe, just maybe, if you held your mouth right and prayed a little, you might get a 1 day invite before the end of the season. :eek: :hammer: Just a possibility. :bow: Send me a pm. :hi:
Have Gun Will Travel
hunter

Postby JuniorPre 360 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:56 am

Have Gun Will Travel wrote:Junoir are you a member over there?

Not yet, but this is a hobby I'd like to begin. I saw that you need to be a member in order to access a lot of the stuff.
JuniorPre 360
hunter

Postby Have Gun Will Travel » Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:13 am

A member and have so many posts before you can see some stuff. Good site.
Have Gun Will Travel
hunter

Postby ncbufflehead » Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:07 pm

Have Gun Will Travel wrote:A member and have so many posts before you can see some stuff. Good site.
x2

i think you have to have 12 post before you can see certain areas of the forum
ncbufflehead
hunter

Postby Have Gun Will Travel » Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:59 pm

Hey NC are you on there too?
Have Gun Will Travel
hunter

Postby ncbufflehead » Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:18 pm

Have Gun Will Travel wrote:Hey NC are you on there too?

yeah but i just follow the post. don't post much as i haven't even attempted to make decoys in about 5 or 6 years and i've only made a few to hunt over. a lot of good info on there
ncbufflehead
hunter

Postby Ringneck » Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:05 pm

There's no post minimum over there. That was done away with 2-3 months ago.

It was a bad policy instituted by one of the old mods that wanted to keep stuff hidden for some reason....rediculous. He's gone and it's all open to anyone now....even guest.

I assume you are talking about workingdecoys. If not then disregard everything I wrote :biggrin:
"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction."

-Albert Einstein
Ringneck
hunter

Postby jennyfell55 » Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:06 pm

Thanks so much for the help! I'm already a member of Working Decoys, but for some reason I can't see most patterns. I can see threads where people are talking about a pattern... but I see no image. I don't know why :sad:
jennyfell55
hunter

Postby Have Gun Will Travel » Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:53 pm

Ringneck wrote:There's no post minimum over there. That was done away with 2-3 months ago.

It was a bad policy instituted by one of the old mods that wanted to keep stuff hidden for some reason....rediculous. He's gone and it's all open to anyone now....even guest.

I assume you are talking about workingdecoys. If not then disregard everything I wrote :biggrin:

Matt?

I gotcha. It had a 25 post thing when I joined up. Didnt know it had changed.
Have Gun Will Travel
hunter

Postby Ringneck » Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:22 pm

I'm Scott R. Please don't relate me to Matt :biggrin: :biggrin:

It helped get a few guys more involved but I think it shut out too many that just want to look around. Glad it's gone either way.
"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction."

-Albert Einstein
Ringneck
hunter

Postby Have Gun Will Travel » Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:41 pm

:lol3: :lol3: Doug C here.
Have Gun Will Travel
hunter

Postby Ringneck » Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:36 pm

I figure we all run into each other all over these sites but have no idea with all the code names :lol3:

-Albert Einstein
Ringneck
hunter

Postby Have Gun Will Travel » Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:46 pm

Ssshhhh dont tell anyone. Im going back into hiding. :lol3:
Have Gun Will Travel
hunter

Postby Ringneck » Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:18 pm

I try to stay there myself. :thumbsup:

-Albert Einstein
Ringneck
hunter

Postby astrobud311 » Sat Feb 09, 2013 4:34 pm

Hey I'm on working decoys too but I haven't carved a single block yet, still looking for that bandsaw, but I have had a ton of help over there getting set up and getting patterns and ideas. I need to come take a trip and hang out with you for a while doug!!
Ryan
Waterfowl Mafia
Virginia Duck Junkies Field Staff
Virginia Beach, VA
Serving In The Greatest NAVY In The World
astrobud311
hunter

Postby DucknGoodTime » Sat Feb 09, 2013 7:16 pm

astrobud311 wrote:Hey I'm on working decoys too but I haven't carved a single block yet, still looking for that bandsaw, but I have had a ton of help over there getting set up and getting patterns and ideas. I need to come take a trip and hang out with you for a while doug!!

Larry's just started a thread over there on how he does his without a bandsaw that you might be interested in reading. Larry's 76 I believe, very skilled and knows a few tricks.

Blessings,
Rick
Blessings,
Rick
DucknGoodTime
hunter

Return to Duck Decoy Forum