Mallards to Black Ducks

Share tips and ask questions on all types of duck decoys. Including working, classics, collectable, and carving decoys.

Moderators: HENDU3270, fowlhunter, Remman, DUKHTR

Mallards to Black Ducks

Postby Cajun1085 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:25 pm

Did a few repaints. I think they'll do the job.
Attachments
photo (7).JPG
GATORTAIL 1646 25GTR

SouthEast Gator-tail
Cajun1085
hunter

Re: Mallards to Black Ducks

Postby PC76 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:02 pm

Looks amazing. My duck count was a little higher than yours, but Iphone count is dead on with mine....
PC76
hunter

Postby Cajun1085 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:26 am

Thanks man. I wish I had a few more ducks to my belt. This year I was limited to hunting from a canoe on the Potomac River. It wasn't a great year for duck numbers. That being said, I prob missed as many birds as I shot, but I pride myself in saying I didn't loose a single down bird this year.

So much for a lifeproof case
GATORTAIL 1646 25GTR

SouthEast Gator-tail
Cajun1085
hunter

Postby Wobbling Wings Waterfowling » Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:03 am

Hey they look great.... Now could you tell me exactly all what you used to paint those... I might paint a few!!
Wobbling Wings Waterfowling
hunter

Postby Have Gun Will Travel » Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:42 am

They look like FA HD gunners orginally? One thing and the birds wont care anyway but blacks dont have orange beaks or bright yellow beaks either. The drake is a olive color with maybe a little yellow in it, and the hen is about the same with black shading/speckling. They will work though.
adustydawg2 wrote: maybe, just maybe, if you held your mouth right and prayed a little, you might get a 1 day invite before the end of the season. :eek: :hammer: Just a possibility. :bow: Send me a pm. :hi:
Have Gun Will Travel
hunter

Postby Cajun1085 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:26 am

Yea they are HD gunners. I know the bills are off, and I might paint them if I find the right color, but like you said, I dont think the birds will mind.

The hens are easy. I just used my camo Krylon black and earth brown. I painted the earth brown paint first, then lightly came back with the black. For the spec feathers, it is iridescent model paint. For the drakes. I painted them in camo tan color, then painted over with earth brown and followed lightly with the black.
GATORTAIL 1646 25GTR

SouthEast Gator-tail
Cajun1085
hunter

Postby Have Gun Will Travel » Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:38 am

:lol3: I agree, if they are that close they should have steel flying their way. They came out really nice btw. One of the best plastic repaints Ive seen.
adustydawg2 wrote: maybe, just maybe, if you held your mouth right and prayed a little, you might get a 1 day invite before the end of the season. :eek: :hammer: Just a possibility. :bow: Send me a pm. :hi:
Have Gun Will Travel
hunter

Postby Cajun1085 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:34 am

Thanks man, I guess 12 years of art was good for something. Im think picking up an Airbrush if I can figure out a paint that will hold up. I think even matte finished clear coated decoys look to reflective.
GATORTAIL 1646 25GTR

SouthEast Gator-tail
Cajun1085
hunter

Postby ohioboy » Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:59 am

Lookin good Cajun. Hope to hunt over them next year.
ohioboy
hunter

Postby Cajun1085 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:18 pm

We will bro!
GATORTAIL 1646 25GTR

SouthEast Gator-tail
Cajun1085
hunter

Postby Have Gun Will Travel » Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:58 pm

Cajun1085 wrote:Thanks man, I guess 12 years of art was good for something. Im think picking up an Airbrush if I can figure out a paint that will hold up. I think even matte finished clear coated decoys look to reflective.

I agree. My carved decoys are top coated with a varnish meant for use over oil paints. Mixing a little color....I cant remember which right now, one of the umbers :lol3: has seemed to take the sheen off and gives them a nice patena.
Have Gun Will Travel
hunter

Postby Cajun1085 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:02 pm

LMAO. You start using real color names on here and art terms people will start thinking we might be breaking out your easel and berets. You carve from wood or foamers? I would like to get into carving.
GATORTAIL 1646 25GTR

SouthEast Gator-tail
Cajun1085
hunter

Postby PC76 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:22 pm

Cajun1085 wrote:Thanks man. I wish I had a few more ducks to my belt. This year I was limited to hunting from a canoe on the Potomac River. It wasn't a great year for duck numbers. That being said, I prob missed as many birds as I shot, but I pride myself in saying I didn't loose a single down bird this year.

Funny you say that. I rode out my otterbox for the last 2 years. Bought a lifeproof and two days later it falls outbid the truck and I am guessing I stepped on it while I was getting out and shattered the glass.
PC76
hunter

Postby Cajun1085 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:45 pm

PC76 wrote:
Cajun1085 wrote:Thanks man. I wish I had a few more ducks to my belt. This year I was limited to hunting from a canoe on the Potomac River. It wasn't a great year for duck numbers. That being said, I prob missed as many birds as I shot, but I pride myself in saying I didn't loose a single down bird this year.

Funny you say that. I rode out my otterbox for the last 2 years. Bought a lifeproof and two days later it falls outbid the truck and I am guessing I stepped on it while I was getting out and shattered the glass.

Mine is back in the otter box. I need to call Lifeproof. I broke 2 of there case just plugging in a standard charger plug.
GATORTAIL 1646 25GTR

SouthEast Gator-tail
Cajun1085
hunter

Return to Duck Decoy Forum