Pintail decoys- repaint them as what?

Share tips and ask questions on all types of duck decoys. Including working, classics, collectable, and carving decoys.

Moderators: HENDU3270, fowlhunter, Remman, DUKHTR

Pintail decoys- repaint them as what?

Postby Weedwacker » Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:00 am

I have a dozen old pintail decoys, paint is about gone on them.

We don't get a lot of pintails here so don't want to repaint as pintails.

What other specie could I make them? Their bills and head are small, not like others I have repainted.

Presume I will cut drake tails off ( some already missing most ), someone gave me the decoys.

Much thanks.
It's not just a duck boat, it is a tatical platform for opportunity- weedwacker 101

Preserve game and hunt with a trained dog- NAVHDA

"In looking back thru his posts over there he kind of thinks of himself as the zen of all things fowl."
Weedwacker
hunter

Re: Pintail decoys- repaint them as what?

Postby ohioboy » Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:27 pm

Grebes? :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:
ohioboy
hunter

Postby Frank Lopez » Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:23 am

Weedwacker wrote:We don't get a lot of pintails here so don't want to repaint as pintails.

Keeping a few sprig in the spread might be a smart thing to do. Most puddle ducks will decoy to other puddlers, regardless of species. And pintails have a lot of white on them, which increases their visibility. It also gives your rig a little different look than what most of the other hunters in the area are using. I hunt public tidal marshes that get hunted pretty hard. Late in the season, birds get pretty wary. When that happens, we start to do things that the other hunters aren't. That includes putting out different species. We stumbled on the pintail idea when someone online had pintail blocks on sale for some rediculous price ($20/doz, if I recall). We put out 4 or 5 pintails clustered around the perimeter of the spread. and it seems to make a difference.

I would repaint at least 4 or 6 as pintails. The rest, I suppose you could repaint as mallards. Without the tails, of course

Frank
I feel slightly sorry for a man who has never patterned his gun, who has no idea how far his chosen load will retain killing penetration. But I'm extremely sorry for the ducks he shoots at beyond the killing range of his gun and load - Bob Brister
Frank Lopez
hunter

Postby schumacherm » Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:36 pm

you might be able to get away painting them like gadwalls or wigeons.. they are somewhat similar, just their bodies are fatter than pintails
schumacherm
hunter

Postby TooTall » Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:56 pm

Cut the tails off and paint them as wigeon.
Garrett Trentham
TooTall
hunter

Postby Weedwacker » Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:48 am

TooTall wrote:Cut the tails off and paint them as wigeon.

Well, I guess they look as close to that as anything. Weird very small heads , long bikks compared to body size.

Might cut tail off and shorten bill, for a bufflehead look. Amazing what you can create with a hit glue gun and epoxy!!
It's not just a duck boat, it is a tatical platform for opportunity- weedwacker 101

"In looking back thru his posts over there he kind of thinks of himself as the zen of all things fowl."
Weedwacker
hunter

Postby Weedwacker » Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:51 am

Weedwacker wrote:
TooTall wrote:Cut the tails off and paint them as wigeon.

Well, I guess they look as close to that as anything. Weird very small heads , long bikks compared to body size.

Might cut tail off and shorten bill, for a bufflehead look. Amazing what you can create with a hit glue gun and epoxy!!

My God, what the hell did I just say?.? So much for spell check :hammer:

Weedwacker
hunter

Postby dakotashooter2 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:56 am

Don't overlook the visibility that pintail decoys provide. Their white stands out pretty good on some days......................
dakotashooter2
hunter

Postby Weedwacker » Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:46 pm

dakotashooter2 wrote:Don't overlook the visibility that pintail decoys provide. Their white stands out pretty good on some days......................

My issue is that I have a bunch of white already , blue bills, golden eyes, red heads. Don't mind more white, but painting a pintail would be more then I want to take on, plus we just don't get them on our waters very much.

Weedwacker
hunter

Postby Frank Lopez » Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:58 pm

Weedwacker wrote:
dakotashooter2 wrote:Don't overlook the visibility that pintail decoys provide. Their white stands out pretty good on some days......................

My issue is that I have a bunch of white already , blue bills, golden eyes, red heads. Don't mind more white, but painting a pintail would be more then I want to take on, plus we just don't get them on our waters very much.

Whenever we mix divers and puddlers, we tend to make two separate spreads. We usually put the divers off to the side and have them lead in towards the blind/boat with their own landing area. The puddlers are placed off the the other side in either a u or oval. Having a few white birds (pintails) in with the puddlers can only help.

Frank
I feel slightly sorry for a man who has never patterned his gun, who has no idea how far his chosen load will retain killing penetration. But I'm extremely sorry for the ducks he shoots at beyond the killing range of his gun and load - Bob Brister
Frank Lopez
hunter

Postby 870 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:42 pm

Why not leave the tails on and paint them into Old Squaws. I' painted a bunch of old Mallards into them and crushed the Squaws over them. :thumbsup:
"As long as there are Flyways and their coming our way, you'll find us right here"
State Moderator

Return to Duck Decoy Forum