Repainting decoys

Share tips and ask questions on all types of duck decoys. Including working, classics, collectable, and carving decoys.

Moderators: HENDU3270, Remman, DUKHTR, fowlhunter

Repainting decoys

Postby Geauxtigers1421 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:04 pm

I went the cheap route and bought 2 dozen flambeau storefront decoys at the end of season and the paint on these things SUCK!! After only 2 hunts with these, they will only last about 5 or so more hunts at the rate the paint is coming off. Here is one of them
I have GW, BW, sprig, and woodducks to paint for next season and was wondering what paint would be best for these things. And any other things I should know before I start.

Lets just say I'm gonna have to break down and get some Dakota's over the off season I guess...
Geauxtigers1421
hunter

Re: Repainting decoys

Postby Geauxtigers1421 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:03 pm

Oh, also forgot to mention I noticed the plastic on one of the BWT is getting really flimsy on the back, is there any way I could fill it with foam or something that would make it last or should I just toss it?
Geauxtigers1421
hunter

Postby JuniorPre 360 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:39 am

The next time you use a clear coat for decoys, I'd use Krylon 1311 flat.
A BAD DAY AT THE MARSH BEATS A GOOD DAY AT WORK.
killwoodies101 wrote:your a dudshe bag! You dont own the river your dont own any property around it.. Its just as mush mine and any other tom **** and harry's as it is yours !! get a life share what is yours or stop hunting
JuniorPre 360
hunter

Postby Geauxtigers1421 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:49 pm

JuniorPre 360 wrote:The next time you use a clear coat for decoys, I'd use Krylon 1311 flat.

If you said that because of the shine, that's because I had just hosed them off
Last edited by Geauxtigers1421 on Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Geauxtigers1421
hunter

Postby JuniorPre 360 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:55 pm

Geauxtigers1421 wrote:
JuniorPre 360 wrote:The next time you use a clear coat for decoys, I'd use Krylon 1311 flat.

If you said that because of the shine, but that's because I had just hosed them off

Ok I see that now. The paint I have been using is the cheap .97 acrylics from wong-mart. I sand the decoys to make them rough, apply some kind of base primer (i used bedliner) and then apply the paint. After it's dry, I apply 3 very light coats of Krylon 1311. It quick, cheap, and pretty durable. I beat my decoys and they don't look anywhere near those stormfronts you're using.
killwoodies101 wrote:your a dudshe bag! You dont own the river your dont own any property around it.. Its just as mush mine and any other tom **** and harry's as it is yours !! get a life share what is yours or stop hunting
JuniorPre 360
hunter

Postby kbooger » Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:12 pm

I have the same decoys and hit them with some rustoleum clear paint and they held up much, much better than yours. Granted they only went on maybe 10 hunts.

Any cheap decoy I hit with a clear coat. They may even shine a little, but ducks do a bit as well and they look better than decoys where big chunks of paint is missing in spots.

I almost think repainting - the cost and time aren't worth it. I'd see what I could get for them on CList and buy new ones (and then clear coat them).
kbooger
hunter

Postby JuniorPre 360 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:29 pm

kbooger wrote:I almost think repainting - the cost and time aren't worth it. I'd see what I could get for them on CList and buy new ones (and then clear coat them).

I would probably have to agree with this here. The only time I have benefited from repainting is buying old or very cheap decoys and repainting them into canvasbacks, buffleheads, redheads, coot, and now goldeneye. All of them use black, white, gray, and a little red. They are simple and require no detail. But if you have the time, money, and talent to do so, then go for it.
JuniorPre 360
hunter

Return to Duck Decoy Forum