oil based, exterior house paint or acrylic paint for decoys?

Share tips and ask questions on all types of duck decoys. Including working, classics, collectable, and carving decoys.

Moderators: HENDU3270, Remman, DUKHTR, fowlhunter

oil based, exterior house paint or acrylic paint for decoys?

Postby longlakesd » Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:42 am

What works and hold best? Want to paint some of my foamers which all will be burlapped with acrylpro mastic.

thanks
Impeach Cuomo .... sign this petition

http://impeachandrewcuomo.com/?
longlakesd
hunter

Re: oil based, exterior house paint or acrylic paint for dec

Postby Ringneck » Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:33 pm

I think you'll get arguments that each is better than the other.

I use acrylics just because of the ease of painting with them and the drying time. The higher quality acrylics have been shown to be just as durable as oils in the field over the last decade or so. Just a personal preference for me.

I know guys that use all the ones you listed and they all work well on decoys. The only one I do not much about durabilty is the house paint. I don't think the guy that uses it hunts his stuff.
"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction."

-Albert Einstein
Ringneck
hunter

Postby longlakesd » Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:44 pm

I was considering buying the rustoleum brand flat oil based paint, where do u purchase your acrylics from ?
Impeach Cuomo .... sign this petition

http://impeachandrewcuomo.com/?
longlakesd
hunter

Postby War Wagon » Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:14 pm

Parker Decoy Paint, made in Green Bay,Wisconsin. They sell paint to Cabela's. Best decoy paint around
War Wagon
hunter

Postby brian tierno » Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:23 pm

Try Lou at Lock Stock and Barrel , he has everything you would need and is a pleasure to deal with.Lou has a wealth of information
brian tierno
hunter

Postby Jake S » Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:32 pm

for my foamers I use black and white oil paint for the base coat. then I use acrylics for doing detail, mostly just becouse I like acrlyics better, they dry fast, and it is easy clean up. Then I use kryron flat clear coat to protcet the paint.
Jake S
hunter

Postby Ringneck » Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:22 am

brian tierno wrote:Try Lou at Lock Stock and Barrel , he has everything you would need and is a pleasure to deal with.Lou has a wealth of information

Pretty sure he carries Goldens Matte Acrylics. Only thing comprable to them is Traditions..formerly Jansens. Both are the best you can get. Nothing else compares to pigment load and coverage.
"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction."

-Albert Einstein
Ringneck
hunter

Postby Weedwacker » Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:57 am

I am using acrylic outdoor paint from Hobby Lobby, will clear coat when completed. They sell it in hundred colors and small bottles.
Attachments
image.jpg
It's not just a duck boat, it is a tatical platform for opportunity- weedwacker 101

Preserve game and hunt with a trained dog- NAVHDA

"In looking back thru his posts over there he kind of thinks of himself as the zen of all things fowl."
Weedwacker
hunter

Return to Duck Decoy Forum