redhead duck decoys

Share tips and ask questions on all types of duck decoys. Including working, classics, collectable, and carving decoys.

Moderators: HENDU3270, fowlhunter, Remman, DUKHTR

redhead duck decoys

Postby duckmaster55 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:29 pm

I want to buy some redhead decoys for next years season but I'm not sure which ones I should look into. This year I hunted in the Finger Lakes of Ny and made out pretty well, but the guys we recently met across the cove from us made out great. After looking at their spread we noticed that they had just as many redheads if not more than the numbers of mallards in their spread. It seemed that the mix of color drew the birds in like magnets, and it wasn't just their location. I thought that redheads would make a nice and effective addition to my collection, any suggestions on which redhead to buy?

I don't want anything overly expensive, but I want something that is durable and looks has some good detail to it.
"No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country.
He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country"-George S. Patton
duckmaster55
hunter

Re: redhead duck decoys

Postby m.teeter » Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:31 am

Check out the tanglefree migration edition. Their website has them listed for $64.99. But if you shop around you might be able to find them cheaper. They are foam filled so they won't sink. I have some if their surf scoters and really like them.
m.teeter
hunter

Postby hawkeye55 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:17 am

think about buying some canvasbacks, bluebills and buffies as they have more white on them than redhead decoys and will show up better. I run cans, redhead, buffie and bluebills in my puddle spread, works great.

Lived in Rochester back in the early 80s and hunted lake O, the finger lakes and a couple refuges. Had lots of great hunts on the lakes(and refuges). We used canvasbacks and bluebills along with mallard, widgeon and blackduck decoys on the lakes. The refuges we only used puddle ducks and a few floater canada decoys

I own both GHG and G & H. both are sturdy decoys. the G&H are 12-14 years old and will need first repaint this offseason (should have done it last year). the GHG are 4 years old and doing well. I would replace some of the sand in the keels of the G&H with lead or nails if you hunt exposed water at all to help them ride rough water more naturally. The GHG are true magnums, they are heavier than the G&H and will require a longer line and 50% more anchor if rigged as singles due to size and higher profile I use 6 oz and 50 inches of line on GHG magnums and only 4 oz and 36 inch on the g&H for my Texas rigging.

hope this helps
hawkeye55
hunter

Postby ncbufflehead » Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:29 pm

G&H, plastiduck, herter's, bigger water decoys or ureaduck decoys
ncbufflehead
hunter

Return to Duck Decoy Forum