clear coating decoys

Share tips and ask questions on all types of duck decoys. Including working, classics, collectable, and carving decoys.

Moderators: HENDU3270, Remman, DUKHTR, fowlhunter

clear coating decoys

Postby macdaddykeefer » Sat Feb 09, 2013 5:26 pm

i'm in the process of testing clear coat on some i've my decoys and it looks to have a shine to it even though i'm using a flat clear coat...will this shine flar birds or anybody have this problem?
John 3:16

Never let work get in the way of a possible duck whackin'
macdaddykeefer
hunter

Re: clear coating decoys

Postby JuniorPre 360 » Sat Feb 09, 2013 7:35 pm

Use Krylon matte 1311. If the paint flakes it won't work though. I haven't had problems with the ones I repainted.
A BAD DAY AT THE MARSH BEATS A GOOD DAY AT WORK.
killwoodies101 wrote:your a dudshe bag! You dont own the river your dont own any property around it.. Its just as mush mine and any other tom **** and harry's as it is yours !! get a life share what is yours or stop hunting
JuniorPre 360
hunter

Postby wanapasaki » Sat Feb 09, 2013 7:44 pm

i used a matte clear coat, never noticed birds flaring until it was too late lol
Give a man a duck... Feed him for a day... Teach him to fowl hunt... Feed him for a lifetime...Teach him in your spot... Learn to hunt a different spot....
wanapasaki
hunter

Postby 2500hdon37s » Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:02 am

krylon matte if you can find it, I havent had a problem with birds flaring.
NRA and DU member, are you? if not you should be!

rabbitdundied wrote: I use my mojos in places I don't want birds to land.
2500hdon37s
Forum Moderator

Postby kbooger » Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:39 pm

anyone ever coat them pretty thick and then sand them? Wonder if that would be good for the shine.
kbooger
hunter

Postby ScaupHunter » Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:49 pm

Krylon matte.

We killed over 200 birds over a large spread with Krylon matte clear on them. It did not matter if it was sunny or cloudy.

Three thin coats works better than one or two thick coats.
Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

He works for free! Who's the B now?
ScaupHunter
hunter

Postby hawkeye55 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:22 am

multiple thin coats are best, if you put it on thick it runs the risk of looking like the decoy has a dusting of light snow and that will flare the ducks. Make the first coat has had time to dry and cure before the second coat is applied or the snow effect may also happen. learned these the hard way.
hawkeye55
hunter

Postby WIDrakeKiller » Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:50 am

Will all birds flare when they see a shiny decoy, no. Will some, yes!
WIDrakeKiller
hunter

Postby callumcuffumkillum » Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:34 pm

some shine isnt bad, dont duck feathers shine in the sun?
It's not a passion it's an obsession
callumcuffumkillum
hunter

Postby dakotashooter2 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:28 am

Wet feathers do shine................ I once stopped on a road to pick up what I thought was a decoy in the water filled ditch with the sun reflecting off of it............. The glare from it was almost blinding...........It turned out to be live mallard........
dakotashooter2
hunter

Postby callumcuffumkillum » Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:57 am

dakotashooter2 wrote:Wet feathers do shine................ I once stopped on a road to pick up what I thought was a decoy in the water filled ditch with the sun reflecting off of it............. The glare from it was almost blinding...........It turned out to be live mallard........

Exactly, i like some of my decoys to have a little shine, i spray some of mine with clear coat for this reason, especially the head. It will only shine when the sun hits it, just like a duck! I think people get to caught up in decoys these day including me, after all, people used to stack them up over blocks of wood!
It's not a passion it's an obsession
callumcuffumkillum
hunter

Postby MassDecoyCarver » Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:10 pm

I use Krylon dead flat, not the matte.
Big difference.
several light coats will prevent most of the sheen.
MassDecoyCarver
hunter

Postby Weedwacker » Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:54 am

MassDecoyCarver wrote:I use Krylon dead flat, not the matte.
Big difference.

Do you remember we're you purchased the Krylon FLAT? I tried some matte, I personally think it has to much shine for my liking on certain decoys, can't find FLAT anyplace :huh:

Thanks.
It's not just a duck boat, it is a tatical platform for opportunity- weedwacker 101

Preserve game and hunt with a trained dog- NAVHDA

"In looking back thru his posts over there he kind of thinks of himself as the zen of all things fowl."
Weedwacker
hunter

Postby dakotashooter2 » Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:28 am

I had to have my hardware store order the flat as they did not stock it as a regular item.......
dakotashooter2
hunter

Postby JuniorPre 360 » Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:33 am

Weedwacker wrote:
Big difference.

Do you remember we're you purchased the Krylon FLAT? I tried some matte, I personally think it has to much shine for my liking on certain decoys, can't find FLAT anyplace :huh:

Thanks.

I always do 3 VERY light coats and don't get a shine with 1311 matte. Someone made the point of ducks having a natural shine from feathers. I'd say my decoys don't shine more than a real duck.
killwoodies101 wrote:your a dudshe bag! You dont own the river your dont own any property around it.. Its just as mush mine and any other tom **** and harry's as it is yours !! get a life share what is yours or stop hunting
JuniorPre 360
hunter

Postby Weedwacker » Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:04 pm

JuniorPre 360 wrote:
Weedwacker wrote:
Big difference.

Thanks.

I always do 3 VERY light coats and don't get a shine with 1311 matte. Someone made the point of ducks having a natural shine from feathers. I'd say my decoys don't shine more than a real duck.

I understand what "someone made a point " of shine, I don't see shine on the birds in my area on a blue bird sunny day!!! Sheen is one thing, shine is another , to each there own. I can shine my drake mallards head, not an issue.

I will continue to look for FLAT.

Junior- will try and take a pic tomorrow of flat and matte on the same two decoys, as visual reference .
It's not just a duck boat, it is a tatical platform for opportunity- weedwacker 101

"In looking back thru his posts over there he kind of thinks of himself as the zen of all things fowl."
Weedwacker
hunter

Postby JuniorPre 360 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:31 am

Maybe I should say sheen instead of shine. My decoys don't shine I guess. I would have bought flat but I couldn't find it.
JuniorPre 360
hunter

Postby Weedwacker » Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:42 pm

Big difference.

Yep, went to ACE and they are more then glad to order any paint you need as long as it is a brand they carry, no extra charge :thumbsup:

Weedwacker
hunter

Postby Weedwacker » Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:46 pm

JuniorPre 360 wrote:Maybe I should say sheen instead of shine. My decoys don't shine I guess. I would have bought flat but I couldn't find it.

Nope, that Matte is making them shine like fresh gloss latex paint, that's to my eye ball....

I am going to put two coats of matte because I already bought it, then cover it with coat of FLAT

Weedwacker
hunter

Postby MassDecoyCarver » Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:13 am

I get the Krylon (dead) flat at Walmart. They always have it on the shelf.
Part number on the back at the bar-code looks like either 53530...or 03530
MassDecoyCarver
hunter

Postby Weedwacker » Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:24 am

MassDecoyCarver wrote:I get the Krylon (dead) flat at Walmart. They always have it on the shelf.
Part number on the back at the bar-code looks like either 53530...or 03530

I started there but they don't carry it. Not a huge fan of ACE but the paint guy has been nothing but helpful and offered to order it and call me when it comes in. Hard to not enjoy some good old customer service :grooving:

Weedwacker
hunter

Return to Duck Decoy Forum