Broadbill repaints

Share tips and ask questions on all types of duck decoys. Including working, classics, collectable, and carving decoys.

Moderators: HENDU3270, Remman, DUKHTR, fowlhunter

Broadbill repaints

Postby 870 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:34 pm

The lighting sucks,but these I just have to dot the eyes and bills and they should be all done
Here are the two I have all done
"As long as there are Flyways and their coming our way, you'll find us right here"
State Moderator

Re: Broadbill repaints

Postby stumpjumper1590 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:36 pm

I would buy some! :thumbsup:
"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good" -- George Washington

2013-2014 Season Strap

3- Blue wing teal
stumpjumper1590
hunter

Postby ncbufflehead » Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:56 pm

:thumbsup: those will work(and last forever)
ncbufflehead
hunter

Postby Weedwacker » Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:58 pm

Your shop is a mess!!!!

Awesome bunch of decoys, and those on the wall hanging as well :beer:
It's not just a duck boat, it is a tatical platform for opportunity- weedwacker 101

Preserve game and hunt with a trained dog- NAVHDA

"In looking back thru his posts over there he kind of thinks of himself as the zen of all things fowl."
Weedwacker
hunter

Postby 870 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:15 pm

ncbufflehead wrote::thumbsup: those will work(and last forever)

Their 18 yrs old now and still going strong LOL

It's a mess because it's a man cave and I've been straight out plowing snow and trying to get these done. Come to think of it I don't think it recovered from last hunting season :huh: LOL

Thanks guys :thumbsup:
"As long as there are Flyways and their coming our way, you'll find us right here"
State Moderator

Postby jedisme » Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:30 pm

What color/s do you use to paint your hens? Great looking repaints btw.
jedisme
hunter

Postby 870 » Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:14 am

To tell you the truth after I shoot a duck I take it down to my local Ace Hardware store. I then press it up against their paint-matching computer. If the computer can’t come up with a match I then go over and match it to their samples. I tried most of the decoy paints out there over the years and don’t like either the color or the finish of the paint. All my paint is, exterior flat house paint. Dries flat with a hard finish what more do you want in a decoy paint right. I haven’t needed to repaint those in about six years. That paint holds excellent to foam decoys. All I do before the season is I wash them with a dish soap and scrubber pad, it’s not gentle at all. Colors: If I were name them they would be burnt umber for the head and back, lighter brown for the chest and rump, Tan for the base coat on the side pockets. I then use the same for mentioned colors as over lays on the tan. Nothing fancy but deadly

Over in the NY forum I put up an announcement up at the top that has a ton of pictures of ducks and geese for painting references. Check it out; it will help anyone with their painting for sure.
State Moderator

Postby Weedwacker » Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:36 am

870 wrote:To tell you the truth after I shoot a duck I take it down to my local Ace Hardware store. I then press it up against their paint-matching computer. If the computer can’t come up with a match I then go over and match it to their samples. I tried most of the decoy paints out there over the years and don’t like either the color or the finish of the paint. All my paint is, exterior flat house paint. Dries flat with a hard finish what more do you want in a decoy paint right. I haven’t needed to repaint those in about six years. That paint holds excellent to foam decoys. All I do before the season is I wash them with a dish soap and scrubber pad, it’s not gentle at all. Colors: If I were name them they would be burnt umber for the head and back, lighter brown for the chest and rump, Tan for the base coat on the side pockets. I then use the same for mentioned colors as over lays on the tan. Nothing fancy but deadly

Over in the NY forum I put up an announcement up at the top that has a ton of pictures of ducks and geese for painting references. Check it out; it will help anyone with their painting for sure.

Fantastic ! I got lucky then! I ended up at Ace and they have a shelf with paints on sale, like 50% off! I bought two quarts, pulled a color off the 10,000 color chart and asked the guy if he would mix for me, he did and no extra charge!! Got my red head grey and light grey their!! They have a great sample area also that is small jars.
It's not just a duck boat, it is a tatical platform for opportunity- weedwacker 101

Preserve game and hunt with a trained dog- NAVHDA

"In looking back thru his posts over there he kind of thinks of himself as the zen of all things fowl."
Weedwacker
hunter

Postby 870 » Sun Feb 17, 2013 2:44 pm

Weedwacker wrote:
870 wrote:To tell you the truth after I shoot a duck I take it down to my local Ace Hardware store. I then press it up against their paint-matching computer. If the computer can’t come up with a match I then go over and match it to their samples. I tried most of the decoy paints out there over the years and don’t like either the color or the finish of the paint. All my paint is, exterior flat house paint. Dries flat with a hard finish what more do you want in a decoy paint right. I haven’t needed to repaint those in about six years. That paint holds excellent to foam decoys. All I do before the season is I wash them with a dish soap and scrubber pad, it’s not gentle at all. Colors: If I were name them they would be burnt umber for the head and back, lighter brown for the chest and rump, Tan for the base coat on the side pockets. I then use the same for mentioned colors as over lays on the tan. Nothing fancy but deadly

Fantastic ! I got lucky then! I ended up at Ace and they have a shelf with paints on sale, like 50% off! I bought two quarts, pulled a color off the 10,000 color chart and asked the guy if he would mix for me, he did and no extra charge!! Got my red head grey and light grey their!! They have a great sample area also that is small jars.

There you go :thumbsup:
State Moderator

Postby phiml » Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:20 am

870 wrote:... All my paint is, exterior flat house paint. Dries flat with a hard finish what more do you want in a decoy paint right. I haven’t needed to repaint those in about six years. That paint holds excellent to foam decoys.

Those look great. Are you using a brush or airbrush to paint them? Exterior flat water base house paint?
phiml
hunter

Postby 870 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:01 am

First thank you :thumbsup:
I use a brush. That's right on the paint just good o'l fastion house paint. Getting the right color has been fun. First I shoot the duck I want to copy. Then I freeze it and later when I'm ready to paint, I take it out the freezer and head on down to my local Hardware store and place it on the computer. It spits out what colors they have to add to the mix to get what I'm looking for. They have taken pictures of us doing it LOL To do my blending/over laying, I use what they call I guess, dry brushing. Thats where you use just the tips of the brush. I spread out some paint on an easel = chunk of plywood. Then just dip the tip of the brush into it then onto the decoys. I do spend money on very good brushes I mean good money. You can screw the whole thing up by using cheap brushes. Don't use nylon, bad idea.
Heres a little tip I haven't done it to these yet, I will spray Krylon clear coat FLAT over then once their all done. That helps protect the paint and water sheds right off no more wet shiny decoys (windfall) Try it on one see if you like it. Water runs right off leaving a dry decoy. Okay I get to get ready for church later
This will give you an idea on how many brushes I have. These aren't all of them, theres a lot more on the otheside drying over above my sink
Heres my only GHG Can I had to repaint this year because my son shot the heck out of it and sunk it (patched before repainting) KIDS
State Moderator

Postby BigBlondeBirdDog » Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:47 pm

: Just wanted to comment that those are some awesome looking deek's ... I'm in the process of painting 17 x Herter 72's I have burlapped. I also have 6 x Herter 63's that I wanted to turn into my BB hens. It was nice seeing your deeks painted exactly how I wanna do mine, and can use that as a reference point/pic.

Thanks for the info!
: Waterfowl Junkie & Host of "Pacific Flyway Radio"

Ragged Outdoors Pro Staff Drinking Team
Killians Irish Red Pro Staff Drinking Team
Famous Dave's BBQ Rib Tip Platter Phat Boy Team
BigBlondeBirdDog
hunter

Postby 870 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:51 pm

BigBlondeBirdDog wrote:: Just wanted to comment that those are some awesome looking deek's ... I'm in the process of painting 17 x Herter 72's I have burlapped. I also have 6 x Herter 63's that I wanted to turn into my BB hens. It was nice seeing your deeks painted exactly how I wanna do mine, and can use that as a reference point/pic.

Thanks for the info!

Thanks I have made announcement up at the top of the NY State forum page under painting ref It has a ton of pics of real ducks to work off of :thumbsup: Thanks again
State Moderator

Postby goosehunter64 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:20 pm

Great looking blocks 870 :thumbsup:
Rob.
Team WingLock
Lock'em "N" Rock'em
goosehunter64
hunter

Postby 870 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:17 am

Thanks goosehunter :thumbsup:
State Moderator

Return to Duck Decoy Forum