Avery/GHG products

Share tips and ask questions on all types of duck decoys. Including working, classics, collectable, and carving decoys.

Moderators: HENDU3270, Remman, DUKHTR, fowlhunter

Re: Avery/GHG products

Postby WIDrakeKiller » Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:40 am

I doubt they are discontinueing anything. I think their getting in over their heads and need to take a year or two and make sure they ramp up their production.
WIDrakeKiller
hunter

Postby SPatrick » Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:47 am

Nothing changing at HQ just dropping a retailer. Knowing what companies have to go through when dealing with Cabela's I am sure its not gonna hurt to the company billfold. I am by no means an avery higher up, and have overseeing access to all the goings on, so I don't feel I should speak for the company as a whole but, IMO its a pure business deal with the cabelas thing. Mack's will still have Avery products. Lots of rumors out there guys, If I believed everything I heard from some of the people they have working at cabela's I would think blindside was the best ammo ever made, and duck commander duck calls are better than anything else out there. Lots of good folks at cabela's and have some good friends that work there, but not everyone working there is an industry insider.
Shaun Patrick
Avery Prostaff
HEVI-Shot Prostaff
SPatrick
State Moderator

Postby WIDrakeKiller » Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:27 am

I wonder if Gander Mountain will pick up Cabelas business.
WIDrakeKiller
hunter

Postby Tealer » Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:26 pm

WIDrakeKiller wrote:I wonder if Gander Mountain will pick up Cabelas business.

Gander Mountain is a better store....
Widmer Bros Prostaff
Former Hostess Prostaff
WizzBang Prostaff
Tealer
village idiot

Postby ncbufflehead » Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:02 pm

SPatrick wrote: If I believed everything I heard from some of the people they have working at cabela's I would think blindside was the best ammo ever made, and duck commander duck calls are better than anything else out there. Lots of good folks at cabela's and have some good friends that work there, but not everyone working there is an industry insider.

could say the same about pro-staffers :wink:
ncbufflehead
hunter

Postby SPatrick » Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:20 pm

I would agree with that to some extent.
Shaun Patrick
Avery Prostaff
HEVI-Shot Prostaff
SPatrick
State Moderator

Postby cue772 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:00 pm

Yeah, I went to pick up some GHG Pro Grade Mallards at *****.. opened the box there and some of the bills were gray from no paint. I bought a dozen life size instead for cheaper. My experience the Pro Grades are no better quality than any of the others.
cue772
hunter

Postby WIDrakeKiller » Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:25 am

Last time I was at Cabela's I was blowing all the calls they had in the case. Was wanting a new goose call and I told the girl who was working there that she could put them back in the case. Well she left them out and I left told her I was gonna go look around and make a decision. Some me and a couple of my hunting buddies were looking at some of the decoys and the waterfowl manager comes up to me. He starts bit$hing about me not buying a call and how "his girl" had all the calls out. He then asked what I had in my pocket which I showed him my cell phone and pump, Im Diabetic Type 1. I then went back after making up my mind and bought a Tim Grounds Triple Crown, great call. Told the girl that the manager had just called her "his girl" and that he had searched us. The one that pissed me off is I don't wanna have to be pressured to buy a call if I go in there and blow a couple. I guess the guy had no background experience at Cabela's and Im not even sure if he was a waterfowl hunter, even though he was the waterfowl manager at Cabela's. Kind of pissed me off. I know it wasn't Cabela's fault but they can't have guys like him working in their stores. I wish Wisconsin had a Mack's Prairie Wings.
WIDrakeKiller
hunter

Postby muskyduck » Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:21 am

WIDrakeKiller wrote:Last time I was at Cabela's I was blowing all the calls they had in the case. Was wanting a new goose call and I told the girl who was working there that she could put them back in the case. Well she left them out and I left told her I was gonna go look around and make a decision. Some me and a couple of my hunting buddies were looking at some of the decoys and the waterfowl manager comes up to me. He starts bit$hing about me not buying a call and how "his girl" had all the calls out. He then asked what I had in my pocket which I showed him my cell phone and pump, Im Diabetic Type 1. I then went back after making up my mind and bought a Tim Grounds Triple Crown, great call. Told the girl that the manager had just called her "his girl" and that he had searched us. The one that pissed me off is I don't wanna have to be pressured to buy a call if I go in there and blow a couple. I guess the guy had no background experience at Cabela's and Im not even sure if he was a waterfowl hunter, even though he was the waterfowl manager at Cabela's. Kind of pissed me off. I know it wasn't Cabela's fault but they can't have guys like him working in their stores. I wish Wisconsin had a Mack's Prairie Wings.

I would have asked for the store manager to come talk to you and the "waterfowl manager" and I would have said to him.....
"It's because of this jacka$$ that you have working here why I have made my decision to order a $200 goose call from Mack's Prairie Wings and pay $20 extra for expedited shipping, rather then buy the call here and now."
muskyduck
hunter

Postby loon » Sat Mar 02, 2013 8:12 am

I'm always amazed at the varying experiences people have had with green headgear decoys. I also have about 10 dozen and some of which were from the very first year GH G came out. The very first decoys I bought were a dozen mallards and a dozen ring necks. Since I bought them I have just thrown them into the decoybags no slotted bags special treatment and they all still look really really good some minor scratching nothing that has required repainting and I am one of those guys that loves to re paint decoys for fun. I have made golden eye hens out of drakes and made oversize redheads into bluebills and ghg wigeons into old squaws. It's weird how you guys have bought some crappy decoys, do they have more than one factory? :huh:
loon
hunter

Location: greenbay wisconsin on my back laying out on the bay

Postby Seabass77 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:36 am

"dropping a retailer"

I work in the consumer packaged goods industry and can tell you that losing shelf placement a retailer like Cabela's is a big deal. I am sure Avery is not happy about this.

Retailers drop manufacturers or products, very rarely the other way around.
Seabass77
hunter

Postby viskey » Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:29 am

Seabass77 wrote:"dropping a retailer"

I work in the consumer packaged goods industry and can tell you that losing shelf placement a retailer like Cabela's is a big deal. I am sure Avery is not happy about this.

I agree
Richard Visker
Big Al's Decoys Pro-Staff
Lynch Mob Calls Pro-Staff
Dakota Hunting Retriever Club
SDWA | SDWF | DU
viskey
hunter

Postby Tealer » Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:34 pm

Seabass77 wrote:"dropping a retailer"

True, however Cabelas is a little different, they charge BIG money for catalog space. They also charge the GHG guys to show up for the waterfowl weekends. Having heard the Avery side of the story I'm surprised they didn't drop Cabelas sooner. Add that everybody knows about GHG, (not a new product) and Rogers is cheaper. Simply put Avery doesn't really need Cabelas.
Widmer Bros Prostaff
Former Hostess Prostaff
WizzBang Prostaff
Tealer
village idiot

Postby Justin Weber » Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:50 pm

^^^Agreed
Avery Pro-Staff
Justin Weber
hunter

Postby Justin Weber » Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:53 pm

1.Macks PW
2.Gander Mountain
3.Rogers
3 well known that still sell Avery Products
Avery Pro-Staff
Justin Weber
hunter

Postby Seabass77 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:56 pm

Tealer wrote:
True, however Cabelas is a little different, they charge BIG money for catalog space. They also charge the GHG guys to show up for the waterfowl weekends. Having heard the Avery side of the story I'm surprised they didn't drop Cabelas sooner. Add that everybody knows about GHG, (not a new product) and Rogers is cheaper. Simply put Avery doesn't really need Cabelas.

This is not different from any other major retailer. They can demand this because they are one of the best. Sure, another brand might sell less units but how many units will Cabelas sell when There is an empty shelf due to out of stocks? Avery is notorious for supply issues, we all know this.
Seabass77
hunter

Postby JuniorPre 360 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:23 am

I spend ALL my Cabelas points from my credit card on duck hunting stuff. GHG will loose peoples' business like mine.
A BAD DAY AT THE MARSH BEATS A GOOD DAY AT WORK.
killwoodies101 wrote:your a dudshe bag! You dont own the river your dont own any property around it.. Its just as mush mine and any other tom **** and harry's as it is yours !! get a life share what is yours or stop hunting
JuniorPre 360
hunter

Postby Tealer » Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:50 am

Seabass77 wrote:
Tealer wrote:

This is not different from any other major retailer. They can demand this because they are one of the best. Sure, another brand might sell less units but how many units will Cabelas sell when There is an empty shelf due to out of stocks? Avery is notorious for supply issues, we all know this.

Except Cabelas is WAY over the top.
Widmer Bros Prostaff
Former Hostess Prostaff
WizzBang Prostaff
Tealer
village idiot

Postby SPatrick » Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:37 am

Tealer wrote:Except Cabelas is WAY over the top.

Very very true!!!!
Shaun Patrick
Avery Prostaff
HEVI-Shot Prostaff
SPatrick
State Moderator

Postby duck007killer » Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:28 pm

I just got finished talking with a avery customer service guy yesterday about the way the paint comes off and how the older ones with the slotted keel leak. He was nice but pretty much told me tfb. Said how they had changed but that they were made over seas and no way to get a color chart. Told me to go to a paint store and get them to match the paint. So no help at all but thats ok didnt expect much. There a good looking decoy but they have problems like all the rest pick your poison. As far as being a vendor for cabelas its pretty much like walmart its there way or the high way. They pretty much tell you what they will pay you for your product and it you dont like it then good bye. I like the convenience but not always the way they do business.
duck007killer
Newb

Postby waveslider » Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:28 pm

If you think Avery's blind bags are useful, then you HAVE to try Cabela's Ultimate Blind Bags. Link below.

I have several of these bags and they have stood up to more abuse than any piece of equipment I own. Cabela's doesn't always get it 100% right, but these blind bags, simply have no equal in my eyes. I used my avery bag as a tire traction grip in the mud once and that was the most use it provided me since I bought it.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Hunting/ ... t104845680
Internet Scouting Pro Staff
waveslider
hunter

Postby viskey » Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:40 pm

That's not exactly how it went with cabelas. Don't think it was all cabelas fault they don't carry Avery any more cause its not. I'm not gonna say what happened and just leave it at that.
Richard Visker
SDWA | SDWF | DU
viskey
hunter

Postby viskey » Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:41 pm

waveslider wrote:If you think Avery's blind bags are useful, then you HAVE to try Cabela's Ultimate Blind Bags. Link below.

I have several of these bags and they have stood up to more abuse than any piece of equipment I own. Cabela's doesn't always get it 100% right, but these blind bags, simply have no equal in my eyes. I used my avery bag as a tire traction grip in the mud once and that was the most use it provided me since I bought it.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Hunting/ ... t104845680

I agree on the blind bag, I've had one for yours! It has held up great and it goes on every trip with me!
Richard Visker
SDWA | SDWF | DU
viskey
hunter

Previous

Return to Duck Decoy Forum