Divers in a puddler spread?

Share tips and ask questions on all types of duck decoys. Including working, classics, collectable, and carving decoys.

Moderators: HENDU3270, Remman, DUKHTR, fowlhunter

Divers in a puddler spread?

Postby Greeny » Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:34 pm

Do puddler spreads work for divers I might start hunting deep watter that I know has divers but i wont hunt there often should I spend money to get some divers or will my puddles be enough?
Greeny
hunter

Re: Divers in a puddler spread?

Postby Cujo1 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:58 pm

Greeny wrote:Do puddler spreads work for divers I might start hunting deep watter that I know has divers but i wont hunt there often should I spend money to get some divers or will my puddles be enough?

Typically around here, we have better luck killing mallards over a diver spread than divers over a mallard spread. If it were me with both types of ducks in the area I would put Mallards out down wind and closer to shore and put divers upwind in a u shape to catch them. Usually all of the ducks hit the hole between the two, but be ready in case the divers just give you a flyby. For Diver dekes, I just get old mallards and paint them black with white across the middle of the back like bluebill drakes. Nothing fancy at all. :thumbsup:
All turkeys must die!

bighop wrote:Destined to be a child of the system now. Bounced around from house to house, abused, mistreated, earning his way on the streets. There's probably an expensive crack habit and a pair of those hind-leg wheels in his near futre.
Cujo1
hunter

Postby Greeny » Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:21 pm

Thanks for the info
Greeny
hunter

Postby JuniorPre 360 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:38 am

I ran a diver spread for the first time this season. They were old mallards painted into cans, buffleheads, and redheads. On the other side of the dike, I had my large spread of puddle ducks. I noticed that divers only landed in the diver spread and the puddle ducks landed with the puddle spread. I'm sure if you do what Cujo told you, it will work.
A BAD DAY AT THE MARSH BEATS A GOOD DAY AT WORK.
killwoodies101 wrote:your a dudshe bag! You dont own the river your dont own any property around it.. Its just as mush mine and any other tom **** and harry's as it is yours !! get a life share what is yours or stop hunting
JuniorPre 360
hunter

Postby jack lowe » Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:31 pm

we kill divers all the time over puddle duck spreads i guess it just depends what the birds in you area like
Fresh prince of the bayou[/quote]jehler
mox wrote:If you say the water is too cold... then you sir, are a puss
"a lanyard and a few empy shells dont make you a duck hunter" - the duck commander
jack lowe
hunter

Postby straitkilla02 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:49 pm

Not sure how big of a spread you hunt over but on our river blind we run around 500 mallard decoys in a somewhat u-shape then run a diver string with 1.5-2 dozen bluebills out about 45 yards infront of our blind. The divers seem to fly right over the mallards and land in between them and the bluebill decoys. We have been doing this for 3 or 4 years and have had pretty good success.
straitkilla02
hunter

Postby Weedwacker » Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:28 am

straitkilla02 wrote:Not sure how big of a spread you hunt over but on our river blind we run around 500 mallard decoys in a somewhat u-shape then run a diver string with 1.5-2 dozen bluebills out about 45 yards infront of our blind. The divers seem to fly right over the mallards and land in between them and the bluebill decoys. We have been doing this for 3 or 4 years and have had pretty good success.

This is interesting, are you putting 500 mallards out each trip and picking up each trip?
It's not just a duck boat, it is a tatical platform for opportunity- weedwacker 101

Preserve game and hunt with a trained dog- NAVHDA

"In looking back thru his posts over there he kind of thinks of himself as the zen of all things fowl."
Weedwacker
hunter

Postby mudpack » Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:41 am

We kill a number of "divers" over nothing but puddle duck decoys every year.
Ringnecks are very common, a few redheads succumb, and the occasional bluebill and canvasback finds it's way into the spread.
We'll get passing shots on Buffleheads and Ruddy's, and of course the sawbills. NOTE: puddlers outnumber divers where I hunt about 200 to 1....and we target puddlers.

I have ringneck and canvasback decoys, but seldom put them out UNLESS we are specifically going after divers.
If divers are the predominate ducks where you are hunting, then put out diver decoys. It's as simple as that.
mudpack
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:50 am

My experience has been mixed by location. Our primary divers are ringnecks, but we've also a smattering of scaup, redheads and cans. When I hunted flooded rice, where all divers were relatively rare, I put a small string of ringneck decoys just outside my puddlers, and it seemed every diver that passed was apt to land with those ringnecks. But when I tried the same tactic in fresh marsh where ringnecks are thick, divers almost, if not, invariably ignored their own kind to hit the hole in my puddlers.

So I'm thinking you won't know what's "best" in your particular situation without experimenting.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby straitkilla02 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:38 am

Weedwacker wrote:
straitkilla02 wrote:Not sure how big of a spread you hunt over but on our river blind we run around 500 mallard decoys in a somewhat u-shape then run a diver string with 1.5-2 dozen bluebills out about 45 yards infront of our blind. The divers seem to fly right over the mallards and land in between them and the bluebill decoys. We have been doing this for 3 or 4 years and have had pretty good success.

This is interesting, are you putting 500 mallards out each trip and picking up each trip?

We leave our decoys out all season. We hunt every day so someone is always there. There are 13 other blinds within sight of ours and the other blinds have anywhere from 200-1000 decoys.
straitkilla02
hunter

Postby ScaupHunter » Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:34 pm

That must totally suck!

I often hunt with 8 to 12 decoys. My biggest spread was 72 decoys last year and that was with three boats hunting together.
Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

He works for free! Who's the B now?
ScaupHunter
hunter

Postby hawkeye55 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:56 pm

Works great on the Texas coast to have a few diver decoys in a mainly puddler spread. Igore the date on the photo as the camera was not set up correctly.
Attachments
duck hunt 12 11 2010 024.JPG
hawkeye55
hunter

Postby Justin Weber » Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:22 pm

I have set out 300+ decoys and picked up before..... To the OP having a couple dozen divers out past your puddler spread would be a great way to start a spread without breaking your bank account
Avery Pro-Staff
Justin Weber
hunter

Postby mudpack » Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:23 am

straitkilla02 wrote: There are 13 other blinds within sight of ours and the other blinds have anywhere from 200-1000 decoys.

Holy crap, Batman. I think I'd be finding another spot.
mudpack
hunter

Return to Duck Decoy Forum