Epoxy for Foamers

Share tips and ask questions on all types of duck decoys. Including working, classics, collectable, and carving decoys.

Moderators: HENDU3270, Remman, DUKHTR, fowlhunter

Epoxy for Foamers

Postby Slack Tide » Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:42 am

Hi all.
I have a good friend who is a master carver and I have gotten him into mowing foam. Needless to say, even his first efforts were award winning, but he skipped the burlap and went right to epoxy.
1/4" bottom board, one coat to seal and harden the foam, another coat with sawdust in it, then paint. He adds a plastic tail board and that's it. They are solid as a rock and as long as you aren't rough on your decoys, I'm sure they will hold up great.
I hate the burlap process (slow, messy, drying time)....and am excited for an alternative.
What experiences have you all had with alternatives to burlapping?
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Re: Epoxy for Foamers

Postby m.teeter » Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:20 pm

Everything I have tried basically melted the foam. I would be interested in what kind of epoxy. Especially if you don't have to burlap. I too hate that part of it.
m.teeter
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:19 am

One key factor is that we use the blue dock/flotation foam that is not the same as the pink home insulation so it won't melt when you use West Systems or their competitors.....I have one roughed out, I'm going to post pics of the process when the time comes.
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby mudpack » Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:58 am

I've never had two-part epoxy dissolve foams of any type.
Polyester resins are another story.
mudpack
hunter

Postby Ringneck » Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:32 am

Slack I use Devcon. Will that work?

Planning on doing a foamer before next year and I like the sounds of this process.
"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction."

-Albert Einstein
Ringneck
hunter

Postby woodduck31 » Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:48 am

I still prefer to burlap, I feel like the reinforcement benefit you get with burlap far outweighs the time and effort. It's messy, no doubt, but you can still do a highly detailed crisply defined decoy with a burlapped foamer. I suppose you could do some sort of fabric reinforcement with epoxy if you want to go that way and have done a surface on a decoy with epoxy, but found it far more difficult to detail.

These are burlapped foamers. All the detail in these are done in the tile adhesive covering the burlap with the tips of some feathers defined with apoxie sculpt.

woodduck31
hunter

Postby byf41 » Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:18 am

Wow,I wish I could carve wooden ones that looked that nice.
byf41
hunter

Postby Ringneck » Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:12 pm

Not overly concerned with adding detail...especially feather tips...but I may go the burlap route since it's tried and proven. Not something I plan on keeping...just wanting to do one for the experience. Too many people asking me questions about it. I know it's messy and aggrevating but it'll be something new.

Have talked to 5 or 6 foam carvers late last year and early this year that have stopped working in it because of mess and other issues that have shown up after years of use.....kinda funny here I am about to try it :biggrin:
"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction."

-Albert Einstein
Ringneck
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:08 am

Ringneck wrote:Not overly concerned with adding detail...especially feather tips...but I may go the burlap route since it's tried and proven. Not something I plan on keeping...just wanting to do one for the experience. Too many people asking me questions about it. I know it's messy and aggrevating but it'll be something new.

Have talked to 5 or 6 foam carvers late last year and early this year that have stopped working in it because of mess and other issues that have shown up after years of use.....kinda funny here I am about to try it :biggrin:

It is best if you have an extra pair of hands and rubber gloves make it a lot easier. Have a bucket of water handy...
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby ScaupHunter » Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:37 pm

Restle Coat.
Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

He works for free! Who's the B now?
ScaupHunter
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:56 am

ScaupHunter wrote:Restle Coat.

What do you sprinkle on them? They used to use ground corn husks and cores...The benefit of sawdust is that the epoxy soaks into every little bit and the deek ends up feeling like a sanding disc when it's done.
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby ScaupHunter » Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:46 pm

Slack Tide wrote:
ScaupHunter wrote:Restle Coat.

What do you sprinkle on them? They used to use ground corn husks and cores...The benefit of sawdust is that the epoxy soaks into every little bit and the deek ends up feeling like a sanding disc when it's done.

I am using a very fine wood dust between layers of titebond 3. I will post up some pictures of some heads I am working on soon. Far cleaner and easier than burlapping. I know people who us find ground cob. I think it gives the bird to rough of a look, but that is just me.
Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

He works for free! Who's the B now?
ScaupHunter
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Tue Apr 02, 2013 4:04 pm

I've done tight bond too. So far epoxy is easier faster and as or more durable....try it.
System 3
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Return to Duck Decoy Forum