1st Pintail

Share tips and ask questions on all types of duck decoys. Including working, classics, collectable, and carving decoys.

Moderators: HENDU3270, Remman, DUKHTR, fowlhunter

1st Pintail

Postby Ringneck » Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:24 pm

Finally got around to painting this pintail I carved over a year ago. This was my first time to carve and paint a pintail so the whole experience was new to me. Didn't turn out the way I had it pictured in my mind so I can't wait to do another one. Really is a fun bird to do.

Cork body, tupalo head and acrylic paint. Critiques are welcome.
Attachments
003_crop 501.jpg
"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction."

-Albert Einstein
Ringneck
hunter

Re: 1st Pintail

Postby WisconsinWaterfowler » Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:38 pm

Looks terrible, send it to me so I can dispose of it for you. :thumbsup:
WisconsinWaterfowler
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:31 am

Seriously, it's absurd to critique, so that's not what this is....more of an observation/preference.

I think Pins are the sexiest bird out there, the males have a "femininity" to them, delicate and sleek, even when large.
I think the "angry eye" that you have mastered is very appropriate for the Bills, Cans, Rings and even, buffs and Blacks. It doesn't seem to work on this Sprig.
Love the tail and paint.
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby Have Gun Will Travel » Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:36 am

Its a Gawga thing Slack. They are apprently a very angry people. :lol3: Although I put eyes in a dipper last night and the first thing out of the wife's mouth was "its so angry".

The decoy looks great man. Let me know if you want to trade some money for it or one like it. :yes:
adustydawg2 wrote: maybe, just maybe, if you held your mouth right and prayed a little, you might get a 1 day invite before the end of the season. :eek: :hammer: Just a possibility. :bow: Send me a pm. :hi:
Have Gun Will Travel
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:44 am

I'm also noticing a trend towards a "smirk" that I see more and more of.
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby Have Gun Will Travel » Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:13 am

Yes suddenly beaks are rounded from front to back. It adds to the attitude of the decoy. Some seem to smile though. Check out Geoff Vine's work.
adustydawg2 wrote: maybe, just maybe, if you held your mouth right and prayed a little, you might get a 1 day invite before the end of the season. :eek: :hammer: Just a possibility. :bow: Send me a pm. :hi:
Have Gun Will Travel
hunter

Postby Ringneck » Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:05 am

Gotta go with the angry eye :biggrin: I can't help but to do it on all the drakes I do. NO doubt it doesn't fit the weaker of the ducks....puddlers...very well but it's just what I do.

I can't get that smile or "smirk" look to work for me. Alot of guys are doing it and I think it adds a ton of attitude and character to a bird. I just can't pull it off.

One of the primary reasons I love these gunning birds is the freedom you hove to take a look and run with it. NO right and wrong....just personal preference and what feels to you. I get so tired of seeing cookie cutter "natural" or the over used term "realism" in a gunning bird. Go that route on decoys for decor but put some of YOU into a decoy that you make for hunting. Make it your creation and you'll enjoy hunting and killing birds over it that much more. Gotta stop...feel myself stepping up on a soap box and there's enough of that in the decoy community already :no:

Thanks for the comments guys. Slack I might soften that eye a little on the next one.....it doesn't really fit the pose this bird is in.
"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction."

-Albert Einstein
Ringneck
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:31 am

How's this for a quote...

"Those most entitled to boast wear the suit of humility the best"

I made that up.

Here is a great example of the "smirk" that you see on Costilow's blacks...especially the far bird
Attachments
image (5)-1.jpg
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby Ringneck » Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:58 am

Slack Tide wrote:How's this for a quote...

"Those most entitled to boast wear the suit of humility the best"

I made that up.

Here is a great example of the "smirk" that you see on Costilow's blacks...especially the far bird

Love the quote.....wished more folks would adhere to that. :yes:

Mark and Luke have definately nailed that look. Just picked up 3 birds from Luke last week. The pair of redheads have that Costilow look for sure.

That's the stuff I love to see in a gunning bird. Something little that let's you know exactly who carved it. Costilow, Vine, Johanssen, Jason Russell, Matt Defore, George Williams and a few others have that personal look. There are way more though that all look the same to me. Guess I just like to see a little bit of the carver in there....like the 2 birds you posted.

-Albert Einstein
Ringneck
hunter

Postby Mean Gene » Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:00 pm

Very nice carving. I would say the edges of the feathers on the back should be white instead of gray. Might just be the light when you took the picture. :huh:
Mean Gene
hunter

Postby jack lowe » Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:59 pm

Looks great
Fresh prince of the bayou[/quote]jehler
mox wrote:If you say the water is too cold... then you sir, are a puss
"a lanyard and a few empy shells dont make you a duck hunter" - the duck commander
jack lowe
hunter

Postby DucknGoodTime » Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:05 am

Good looking bird Scott, feathers are my nemesis.

Sent from my wife's stolen, err borrowed, iPad using Tapatalk HD
Blessings,
Rick
DucknGoodTime
hunter

Postby mayhem96 » Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:41 pm

Great looking decoy :thumbsup:
mayhem96
hunter

Postby stumpjumper1590 » Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:20 am

If you ever plan on selling any of these let me know. :thumbsup:
"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good" -- George Washington

2013-2014 Season Strap

3- Blue wing teal
stumpjumper1590
hunter

Postby mudpack » Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:05 am

I can see only two small areas that I would change on the next bird:
1. "angry eye"
2. "rocker" on the bill. (Pintail bills do not curve up at the tip)

Very minor items, neither of which should cost you major points in the tank.
mudpack
hunter

Postby Ringneck » Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:13 am

I had almost forgot I posted this bird. Thanks for the commenst guys.

Mudpack,

You made a good point with both thinsg you hit but....a big but here....I don't carve for competitions....I carve for myself and what I like to see in a decoy. I do enter birds but with the knowledge that the things I do to them to add personal flare will result in them never winning. Alot of what I do is "wrong" to some people but I hate the direction carvers are going now. Everyone if trying to do what basically is wooden taxidermy bird. Very boring and they all look the same.

I was told when I first started that you will eventually have to choose a path....1)carving for shows....2) carving for customers...or 3) carving for yourself. I have found the latter to be by far the most rewarding and ejoyable. :biggrin:

You did hit the nail on the head for a comp. bird though.....that's why it was 1st out at the last show it was in :lol3: :lol3:

-Albert Einstein
Ringneck
hunter

Postby mudpack » Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:20 am

Ringneck wrote:I don't carve for competitions....I carve for myself and what I like to see in a decoy....
3) carving for yourself. I have found the latter to be by far the most rewarding and ejoyable.

I quite understand carving to please only yourself. Kudos to you for that.

My only question is: if you don't particularly care what others (judges/peers?) think of your work, why was this in the OP
Ringneck wrote: Critiques are welcome.

I feel like I'm getting mixed messages here...................... :huh:

BTW, if that bird was first out of the tank, there were either only two birds in that class or the competition was flat awesome. :thumbsup:
mudpack
hunter

Postby Have Gun Will Travel » Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:24 pm

Mudpack to asnwer your question in my own words....A carvers work is always evolving. Sometimes a suggestion will pop up that someone wants to encorporate in the next one or something the carver didnt even notice. I agree with ringneck. To many think a decoy has to look like a real life bird. Individual style is becoming a thing of the past. The work and talent is still impressive and Ive done some decoratives myself. I just dont care to carve birds that look just like the guys next to mine. Thats doesnt mean I dont want to improve or hear comments regarding my work. Suggestions/comments good or bad arent taken personally and sometimes not at all if I dont agree. Just my perspective...
Have Gun Will Travel
hunter

Postby mudpack » Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:18 pm

Fair enough. :beer:
mudpack
hunter

Postby Ringneck » Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:46 pm

Have Gun Will Travel wrote:Mudpack to asnwer your question in my own words....A carvers work is always evolving. Sometimes a suggestion will pop up that someone wants to encorporate in the next one or something the carver didnt even notice. I agree with ringneck. To many think a decoy has to look like a real life bird. Individual style is becoming a thing of the past. The work and talent is still impressive and Ive done some decoratives myself. I just dont care to carve birds that look just like the guys next to mine. Thats doesnt mean I dont want to improve or hear comments regarding my work. Suggestions/comments good or bad arent taken personally and sometimes not at all if I dont agree. Just my perspective...

Thanks..that hit the nail on the head. I've been down with some crud and haven't checked in lately so I just saw this. Being sick I'm glad someone worded WAY better than I could have right now :thumbsup:

Thanks for understanding guys. Sometimes it can get all crossed up on a forum. I could have worded it differently no doubt.

-Albert Einstein
Ringneck
hunter

Postby Remman » Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:01 pm

Very nice Mr. Scott, maybe the birds will work next year and you can get a pintail over it. Fine job!!
There is no such thing as a stranger,....... Just friends I haven't met!

"Failure isn't not knowing how to post a picture. Failure is doing it twice and then catching a wise attitude about it."....... Paul D
Remman
Forum & State Moderator

Return to Duck Decoy Forum