Idea for a jerk style string homemade

Share tips and ask questions on all types of duck decoys. Including working, classics, collectable, and carving decoys.

Moderators: HENDU3270, DUKHTR, fowlhunter, Remman

Idea for a jerk style string homemade

Postby Swampslayer » Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:18 pm

I was thinking about making my own jerk/swimming decoy rig.. Take 5 decoys I got GHG pro-grade dekes anyways take and string them together about 5 ft apart or more.. Then leave enough room to move on each side and string each side of the decoys through PVC pipes or something of that nature on each side of the decoys.. And then running both sides back to the boat give kinda this look

|---d---d----d---d---|
\ d /
\ d /
------ m -----
Catch my drift?
Swampslayer
Newb

Re: Idea for a jerk style string homemade

Postby mudpack » Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:46 am

In my opinion, you may be making this far too complicated.
That said, there are hundreds of different schemes concocted to make decoys move. Try what you have in mind. It may work beyond anyone's wildest expectations. You'll never know until you give it a chance. :thumbsup:

PS if it does work, treat us to some photos.
mudpack
hunter

Postby nmbrinkman » Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:34 am

I bought a rig 'em right jerk not too long ago. I want another but figured I could make it for much less. Bought some 550 cord (paracord) and plan on going to my local marine store and buy some large snap swivels and a 1.5 lb folding anchor. Hit up my local Home Depot and see if they have any surgical tubing or a suitable bungee cord and I should be done.
nmbrinkman
hunter

Postby AR Dave » Sun Mar 24, 2013 5:56 am

The last 6 ft of mine is bungee cord that's not much bigger than the parachute cord. I can easily pull those decoys 6 ft if I want too. This is more of a permanent jerk cord I leave out the whole season. I always have that Texas rig em or whichever one it is, in a bag, with me when I'm not going to be at my blind. For $20-30, it's just too easy to pull out and put to work.
AR Dave
hunter

Return to Duck Decoy Forum