new to duck hunting...decoy brand , how many and what type

Share tips and ask questions on all types of duck decoys. Including working, classics, collectable, and carving decoys.

Moderators: HENDU3270, DUKHTR, fowlhunter, Remman

new to duck hunting...decoy brand , how many and what type

Postby BrandenKeene » Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:27 am

I am new to duck hunting and was wondering what barnd of decoys,what type of duck and how many to get. For the most part i hunt in the flooded timber but somtimes i hunt in the marsh.
BrandenKeene
hunter

Re: new to duck hunting...decoy brand , how many and what ty

Postby IdahoD » Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:48 am

As far as brand goes, there's a bunch of different ones and you'll get many opinions on whats best. As far as how many decoys, it depends on so many things. How big is the hole you're hunting, how many ducks do you usually see in there, time of year, mix of species, etc. I'd suggest a cool 2 doz to get you going (can even do less if you cant afford it) and maybe a mix in couple teal, wood ducks, pintails (whatever you see in the area) and some feeders or sleepers. Just remember that it's better to be hunting over a couple decoys than not hunting at all because you cant afford the gas to get there because you spent it on decoys. Buy as many as you can afford and add to it as you can. Ultimately it's about getting out there. I've shot ducks over some pretty nasty looking decoys :yes:
IdahoD
hunter

Postby JuniorPre 360 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:47 am

Figure out what kind of ducks you have in your area and get that kind of decoy. Teal, woodies, and mallards seem to be a good combo. Quick question, what got you started on duck hunting?
A BAD DAY AT THE MARSH BEATS A GOOD DAY AT WORK.
killwoodies101 wrote:your a dudshe bag! You dont own the river your dont own any property around it.. Its just as mush mine and any other tom **** and harry's as it is yours !! get a life share what is yours or stop hunting
JuniorPre 360
hunter

Postby mudpack » Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:12 am

Since at least some of your hunting will be in flooded timber, I'd have to recommend puddle duck decoys. Because everybody has mallard decoys, I'd go with something a little different....like half a dozen gadwall. Mallards will come to gadwalls, just as gadwall will decoy to mallards.
If you are in the right spot, six decoys will be enough. If you are not in the right spot, you could have 7 dozen and still not get shooting.
You will be able to decide what/how many to buy as you gain experience.

Brand? What is your budget??? If money is tight, get GHG Hot Buys. For a few dollars apiece more, either LifeSize, or for a little more yet, the ProGrades. If you have a bit more to spend, look at the new Avian-X. I use all of the above, and they work. I wouldn't recommend the Flambeau Storm Front mallards, but the StormFront pintails are as good as they get.

Hint: when rigging those new decoys, use line that is at least 1/8" in diameter, preferably braided nylon. Don't cheap out and use monofilament fishing line; you'll regret it. I also don't like Tanglefree line; it takes a set and seems to always be half out of the water.
mudpack
hunter

Postby jeremy_f405 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:32 pm

I bought a "puddler pack" from Mack's, it had some pintails/mallards/teal, that's the small spread I carry in
jeremy_f405
hunter

Return to Duck Decoy Forum