Dakota Decoy Mallards and Rig Em Right DP3 Bag

Share tips and ask questions on all types of duck decoys. Including working, classics, collectable, and carving decoys.

Moderators: HENDU3270, Remman, DUKHTR, fowlhunter

Dakota Decoy Mallards and Rig Em Right DP3 Bag

Postby Hunter MN » Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:29 pm

Looking to run 2 dzn Dakota's with the rig em right decoy anchors in the RER dp3 standard bag this year. Does anyone run a setup similar to this? How comfortable is the RER dp3 bag? As I walk in to all my hunting spots. Are the straps easy to get on and off? Also will 2 dzn Dakotas fit in this bag? And should I be worried about the paint chipping/ scratching on the Dakota's? Thanks for the help!
Hunter MN
hunter

Re: Dakota Decoy Mallards and Rig Em Right DP3 Bag

Postby Red Bauer » Sun Mar 24, 2013 4:48 am

The Dakotas are very durable but for the money you pay for them, I'd find a way to put them in slotted bags. Also, consider the weight of the decoys. They are heavier and larger than other brands (well at least compared to those terrible stormfront decoys). Personally, I wouldn't want to carry 2 dozen of these decoys on my back. The decoys are top notch those. Highly recommend.
Red Bauer
hunter

Re: Dakota Decoy Mallards and Rig Em Right DP3 Bag

Postby Rockboy » Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:12 am

The Dakotas are heavy as said before. Been there and tried your plan with the DP3. Not a good idea. I would go with 1 doz Dakotas and a dozen lighter decoys (even water keels) and a bag that as more standard. I went to a HS floating bag. Little big for walk in's but it carries decent and protects the decoys from the exterior well.
Nothing like having the Dakotas in your spread. I have three dozen and many times if we are walking in we just carry 6 Dakotas and a couple dozen lighter and cheap decoys. Mallards tend to land into the Dakotas no matter where they are in the spread.
Layout boats and blinds are pure death from below to the mallet's but leaning on a tree is the best deal in the woods!
Rockboy
hunter

Return to Duck Decoy Forum