24 canvasbacks update

Share tips and ask questions on all types of duck decoys. Including working, classics, collectable, and carving decoys.

Moderators: HENDU3270, Remman, DUKHTR, fowlhunter

24 canvasbacks update

Postby Mean Gene » Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:21 pm

Well, it's a slooooow process, but I'm getting there. I got the hens finished today...still working on getting the flocking on the drakes. Should have them finished by Sunday. Always lots of room for improvement, especially with me, but I think these will hunt.

Mean Gene
hunter

Re: 24 canvasbacks update

Postby Mr.Pymatuning » Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:56 am

:eek: uhhhh I might need a few of those. You have come so far from the first birds that you started on!! Keep it up!
Mr.Pymatuning
DHC Sponsor

Postby JuniorPre 360 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:25 am

Nice job. What colors are you using as the dark brown?
A BAD DAY AT THE MARSH BEATS A GOOD DAY AT WORK.
killwoodies101 wrote:your a dudshe bag! You dont own the river your dont own any property around it.. Its just as mush mine and any other tom **** and harry's as it is yours !! get a life share what is yours or stop hunting
JuniorPre 360
hunter

Postby Ringneck » Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:58 am

:thumbsup:
"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction."

-Albert Einstein
Ringneck
hunter

Postby MassDecoyCarver » Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:08 pm

They look great !!
Always tough to stick with it and complete a whole set. Seems easy when you are getting started and roughing out the foam, but by the time you get to final paint the process seems to slow down and I know that I sometimes wonder why I didn't just make 2 or 3 instead !!
MassDecoyCarver
hunter

Postby Mean Gene » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:18 pm

JuniorPre 360 wrote:Nice job. What colors are you using as the dark brown?

I mixed three different browns. I started with feather brown flocking, then lightly airbrushed a dark brown (lighter than the flocking), then went over that with a light brown (lightly so the darker brown would show through where I wanted it to), then VERY lightly went over that with the dark brown again. I mixed an even lighter color for around the eye.

Seems easy when you are getting started and roughing out the foam, but by the time...

You ain't lyin' there! Next week I start on 24 bluebills, and in my "spare time" a friend want's me to make some crows. :eek: :lol3:
Mean Gene
hunter

Postby Mean Gene » Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:02 pm

Had some time while I'm waiting for flocking on the drakes to dry, so I took a couple pictures of what they look like outside. I backed off from 20 to 50 yards and I think they look pretty darn close. Out side in the sun counts more to me than in the shop under the florescents.

Mean Gene
hunter

Return to Duck Decoy Forum