Long Island Sound Black Duck

Share tips and ask questions on all types of duck decoys. Including working, classics, collectable, and carving decoys.

Moderators: HENDU3270, fowlhunter, Remman, DUKHTR

Long Island Sound Black Duck

Postby Frank Lopez » Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:42 am

I found this pattern in an old decoy book. The drawing was made by Joel Barber of a decoy originally thought to be from Long Island, as the block was found there. It turned out that the decoy was carved by a Benjamin Holms of Stratford Connecticut.

This being the off season and being retired, I decided that half a dozen of these would go well in my duck boat. I altered the heads a bit, keeping the original shape for three and extending the neck for three, just to offer a different look. Here are the first two.

Frank
I feel slightly sorry for a man who has never patterned his gun, who has no idea how far his chosen load will retain killing penetration. But I'm extremely sorry for the ducks he shoots at beyond the killing range of his gun and load - Bob Brister
Frank Lopez
hunter

Re: Long Island Sound Black Duck

Postby Weedwacker » Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:43 pm

How cool :thumbsup:

I would say that is "kicking it old school" , enjoy and shoot straight, shoot often!
It's not just a duck boat, it is a tatical platform for opportunity- weedwacker 101

Preserve game and hunt with a trained dog- NAVHDA

"In looking back thru his posts over there he kind of thinks of himself as the zen of all things fowl."
Weedwacker
hunter

Postby MassDecoyCarver » Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:24 am

They look good Frank, Joel Barber's book is a great resource for quality info and patterns.

I think that in the paint department, the streak on the head should pass through the eye, not below it, and the bill color ought to be drab green, not yellow. Yellow billed black ducks are hybrids.
MassDecoyCarver
hunter

Postby Frank Lopez » Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:38 am

MassDecoyCarver wrote:I think that in the paint department, the streak on the head should pass through the eye, not below it, and the bill color ought to be drab green, not yellow. Yellow billed black ducks are hybrids.

I'll be sure to let everyone know if any ducks complain! :lol3: :lol3: :lol3:

Seriously, thank you for the criticism, it's much appreciated. I did a double check on the picture I used as a guide, and the duck in the picture was, indeed, a hybrid. There was a slight metallic green cast to the crown and back of the neck.

Frank
I feel slightly sorry for a man who has never patterned his gun, who has no idea how far his chosen load will retain killing penetration. But I'm extremely sorry for the ducks he shoots at beyond the killing range of his gun and load - Bob Brister
Frank Lopez
hunter

Postby ncbufflehead » Fri Apr 05, 2013 5:06 pm

nice looking birds!

MassDecoyCarver wrote:They look good Frank, Joel Barber's book is a great resource for quality info and patterns.

I think that in the paint department, the streak on the head should pass through the eye, not below it, and the bill color ought to be drab green, not yellow. Yellow billed black ducks are hybrids.
x2
ncbufflehead
hunter

Return to Duck Decoy Forum