Restle Coat - Foam Decoy Heads Galore

Share tips and ask questions on all types of duck decoys. Including working, classics, collectable, and carving decoys.

Moderators: HENDU3270, Remman, DUKHTR, fowlhunter

Restle Coat - Foam Decoy Heads Galore

Postby ScaupHunter » Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:28 am

I recently finished up casting over 20 dozen foam decoy heads from a 5 gallon kit of 12 lb density two part foam. The heads are a mix of puddlers, divers, and some goose heads. After some research I decided to use a restle coating on the heads.

The coating is simply placing a glue on the head and then spreading a coating of fine wood dust or fine ground corn cob over the glue. You hang the heads to dry. Once they are dry you dilute the glue with water at a ratio of 60 percent to 40 percent and brush on another coating of glue.

The Restle Coat leaves a very hard, tough textured finish on the heads.

Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

He works for free! Who's the B now?
ScaupHunter
hunter

Re: Restle Coat - Foam Decoy Heads Galore

Postby MassDecoyCarver » Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:32 am

Nice looking head ! I would have masked the eyes however as you'll be spending some time scraping the restle coat off of them.

I have used the same process on foamer heads and pine heads. I use model Railroad terrain flock, over full strength Titebond III then paint primer over them, tough as nails !!
MassDecoyCarver
hunter

Postby ScaupHunter » Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:31 pm

I am going to put the glass eyes in all of my decoys. It will be the last step in the process prior to painting the heads. My next step is to drill the eye holes out. I will put the base coat of paint on the heads, glue the eyes in, and then put the final coat of paint on the heads.

The restle finish is definitely as hard as I hoped it would be.

I have a bunch of water swatting bastards for hunting buddies which is why I am making a foamer spread. They sunk about half of my decoys last season. At the end of season I gave them all my blown up plastics, they can work on repairing them. No more sinkers for me. With the foamer's I will simply patch them up as needed.
Last edited by ScaupHunter on Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

He works for free! Who's the B now?
ScaupHunter
hunter

Postby MassDecoyCarver » Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:43 am

Too funny...'water swatting bastards..' !

My primary hunting partner is my son, and he has strict instructions to take no shots less than 5' above the water !
MassDecoyCarver
hunter

Postby bknilvr00 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:35 pm

ScaupHunter wrote:I have a bunch of water swatting bastards for hunting buddies which is why I am making a foamer spread. They sunk about half of my decoys last season. At the end of season I gave them all my blown up plastics, they can work on repairing them. No more sinkers for me. With the foamer's I will simply patch them up as needed.

I would like to point out that at least I didn't half ass it and make a cripple shot, I sent that deke to Davy Jones locker post haste.

Sent from my ADR6410LVW using Tapatalk 2
bknilvr00
hunter

Return to Duck Decoy Forum