[b]Heron/Shorebird Decoy!![/b]

Share tips and ask questions on all types of duck decoys. Including working, classics, collectable, and carving decoys.

Moderators: HENDU3270, Remman, DUKHTR, fowlhunter

Do you use a shorebird confidance decoy?

Yes
50%
No
30%
Some Times
20%

Total votes : 10

[b]Heron/Shorebird Decoy!![/b]

Postby Mallyard » Fri Jan 02, 2004 12:29 pm

Hey i'm looking into a great blue heron decoy to add to my duck spread for confidance does anyone else use them and do they really work?

Thanks Mallyard :lol:
Aim for their lips...
Mallyard
Forum & State Moderator

Postby pullman41 » Fri Jan 02, 2004 2:15 pm

We use them when the going gets tough. Put it out there for everything to see, it normally doesn't flare them but you can sometimes tell they take a hard look. And that takes the eyeballs off you and your "fake ducks" and can help seal the deal.

My take anyways.
pullman41
hunter

Used for years........not so much now

Postby Poke Boater » Fri Jul 02, 2004 4:56 am

Mallyard,

Our levee borrow pits have mostly been filled with river mud over the 35 years since the 35 mile levee was constructed. I fully agree with our Arkansas friend pullman.

Our old 9 day teal season trips included my 9 homemade BW teal dekes and a grey painted (white plastic) yard bird "Heron" confidence/yard marker decoy. It was a super distance marker, and it always drew real Great Blue Herons like a magnet! They, GBH's, are too alert to stay fooled long. They will test your hide out to the max! :cool:

To be in an expanse of shallow "teal" water with small decoys, the yard bird "sentinel" and mouth calling Blue Winged Teal was a kick! That's what you say to them as they zoom loudly over head,...kick! kick!kick!

The whole picture of decoys, heron, and calling meant a quick limit if the September early morning temperature was in the 50's. If you are near the shallow waters they seek along with a heron confidence decoy,.......... that you'll use because it's a natural! :thumbsup:

Good heron decoying to you,

Poke Boater
Last edited by Poke Boater on Thu Jul 08, 2004 5:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
#1 If a falling duck's head is "held up" shoot again.
#2 If a downed duck lays still on the water with it's head "held down" straight out and you detect ANY movement across the current or not with the wind shoot again.
Ouabache!
Poke Boater
hunter

Postby gotduck68415 » Mon Jul 05, 2004 4:58 pm

Ive been using a gbh decoy for about 3 years now and i dont know if it helps or not. I still shoot as many ducks as without. It does maybe take their eyes off your dekes for a minute. Best of luck with what ever you do. :salude:
Dont shoot where they have been, shoot where they are going.
gotduck68415
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Bull_Can » Wed Jul 07, 2004 2:53 pm

I like adding coot decoys. I will throw those out with any of my diver rigs for realism. (plus it pulls in a couple of coots for my buddy to shoot when he gets bored).
Bull_Can
hunter

Return to Duck Decoy Forum