Burlaping

Share tips and ask questions on all types of duck decoys. Including working, classics, collectable, and carving decoys.

Moderators: HENDU3270, Remman, DUKHTR, fowlhunter

Burlaping

Postby IowaWaterfowler10 » Sun Apr 14, 2013 4:06 pm

I hope I'm posting this up in the right place. Alright so I have seven snow goose decoys that I want to burlap because they are old, dirty, missing chunks, and so on. I just wanted to make sure I had the basics covered as this will be my first time. So I need to get some sort of mastic, I believe acrylic pro is a popular one? As we'll as an outdoor type of burlap. Is there a place you guys buy bulk burlap? Then for paint what would you guys recommend as far as acrylic or oil-based (name brands help). Then for the beak any color suggestions? I know getting a snow goose bill just right is hard. Also want to turn one or two into blues, color help there? Thanks for any help you can give me!

I will attatch a picture of one of the decoys, not sure who made it. Might be homemade for all I know. Thanks again guys!!
Last edited by IowaWaterfowler10 on Sun Apr 14, 2013 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IowaWaterfowler10
hunter

Re: Burlaping

Postby IowaWaterfowler10 » Sun Apr 14, 2013 5:22 pm

IowaWaterfowler10
hunter

Re: Burlaping

Postby MassDecoyCarver » Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:18 am

I can't answer your questions about bill shape and colors,..but
As far as burlapping goes, the tread on this form is very helpful.

I buy my burlap at Home Depot or a garden center. It comes in 36" wide rolls and is a very loose weave.
MassDecoyCarver
hunter

Return to Duck Decoy Forum