Black/white?

Share tips and ask questions on all types of duck decoys. Including working, classics, collectable, and carving decoys.

Moderators: HENDU3270, Remman, DUKHTR, fowlhunter

Black/white?

Postby Rider » Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:42 am

Which stands out more from a distance?

We do have white mallards here (NZL). I might run a few for long range pulling power on open water?

Running 6 supermagnum mallards, 13 magnum mallards, 3 spinners, one paradise and two white mallards.

Maximum 25 decoys for the first two weeks of the season. 50 mallard per day limit!
Rider
hunter

Re: Black/white?

Postby woodduck31 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:11 am

it depends on the light conditions, sometimes white is better for visibility, but overall, I'd always choose black or a dark decoy over a white decoy. Most of the decoys we send to new zealand are pacific blacks or hybrids with an occasional blonde mallard in the bunch. Are the pacific black ducks part of that limit or are they trying to thin out the mallards with the high limits?
woodduck31
hunter

Re: Black/white?

Postby mudpack » Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:54 am

Hard to say. The waterfowl biologists who do aerial surveys of waterfowl numbers tell us black is the most visible.
The pictures I've seen from these surveys (I work for a state waterfowl biologist) show black and white about equal.
What I see myselft when I'm scouting tells me white is the most eye-catching.

I'd have to go with black, since there are more species of ducks that look dark on the water than look white....and virtually all hens, here in the US, look dark.
That said, I'd cover my bases and go with 80% black, 20% white....which is what I see on the marsh with live birds.
mudpack
hunter

Return to Duck Decoy Forum